Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MWC Tex

OT: For you Texas Expansionists

Just a note for you expansionists in Texas territory.

UTSA Students voted down an athletic fee increase to help support athletic facilities and to upgrade video equipment and staff to meet CUSA broadcast standards. 

http://www.utsa.edu/today/2018/02/story/FeeVote.html

Meanwhile,

Univ. of North Texas students voted to increase the athletic fee to help their athletic program.

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/mean-green/2018/02/19/breaking-news-unt-students-approve-athletic-fee-increase

Seems like any expansion ideas now into Texas should now consider UNT as the students seem to want to support the athletic program than UTSA.   I'm speculating that UTSA students may still have a 'commuter' school attitude.   

8 hours ago, MWC Tex said:

Just a note for you expansionists in Texas territory.

UTSA Students voted down an athletic fee increase to help support athletic facilities and to upgrade video equipment and staff to meet CUSA broadcast standards. 

http://www.utsa.edu/today/2018/02/story/FeeVote.html

Meanwhile,

Univ. of North Texas students voted to increase the athletic fee to help their athletic program.

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/mean-green/2018/02/19/breaking-news-unt-students-approve-athletic-fee-increase

Seems like any expansion ideas now into Texas should now consider UNT as the students seem to want to support the athletic program than UTSA.   I'm speculating that UTSA students may still have a 'commuter' school attitude.   

As a very recent UNT graduate, I can tell you that UNT is expanding very quickly, they have been doing a whole host of campus improvements and expansions. Some of the eggheads don't like all the non-academic spending, but I think the new President has come to the correct conclusion that a successful football program acts as a front porch to the community at large, and is it's most visible advertising vehicle. Their new HC and staff has already seen major improvements on the field, and are looking to parlay that success to something bigger (MWC or AAC invite). I had classes with a guy on the training staff and he relayed these very things to me.  He said the staff and school are looking long-term beyond CUSA. 

UNT has been a commuter school for ages, but they have worked hard to create a more traditional university atmosphere, and they have concluded that getting alumni, who, overwhelmingly reside in the DFW metro, to games is paramount, and a winning product is the vehicle for achieving such a goal.

24570143_BSUBACKGROUNDBANNERANDY1AWELCOME.png.5fa1e131a0fec4c26c0be2f4d0a420eb.png

망치를 가진 남자에게는, 모든것이 못처럼 보인다.

원숭이도 나무에서 떨어진다.

19 minutes ago, MAD MACGYVER said:

As a very recent UNT graduate, I can tell you that UNT is expanding very quickly, they have been doing a whole host of campus improvement and expansions. Some of the eggheads don't like all the non-academic spending, but I think the new President has come to the correct conclusion that a successful football program acts as a front porch to the community at large, and is it's most visible advertising vehicle. Their new HC and staff has already seen major improvements on the field, and are looking to parlay that success to something bigger (MWC or AAC invite). I had classes with a guy on the training staff and he relayed these very things to me.  He said the staff and school are looking long-term beyond CUSA. 

UNT has been a commuter school for ages, but they have worked hard to create a more traditional university atmosphere, and they have concluded that getting alumni, who, overwhelmingly reside in the DFW metro, to games is paramount, and a winning product is the vehicle for achieving such a goal.

It's hard to see the CUSA in its current format surviving.  Schools are too spread out and attendance is way down across the board.  TV contract is bad.  I think eventually conferences are going to need to go to smaller footprints with regional rivalries.  Maybe if you took all the CUSA and Sun Belt and tried to tighten the footprint and mix and match schools that would help.  UTEP belongs in the MWC.  

6 minutes ago, alum93 said:

It's hard to see the CUSA in its current format surviving.  Schools are too spread out and attendance is way down across the board.  TV contract is bad.  I think eventually conferences are going to need to go to smaller footprints with regional rivalries.  Maybe if you took all the CUSA and Sun Belt and tried to tighten the footprint and mix and match schools that would help.  UTEP belongs in the MWC.  

This, even some of the CUSA presidents said that the travel doesn't make sense after getting such a horrible TV deal. We could see it getting much more regional.

No to UNT or UTSA though...

CUSA and sun belt aren’t that different anymore. They really should just split them in half and all the schools in the west go to one conference and the east go to another one. Then maybe nmsu can get an invite to the western conference 

2 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

UNLV

SDSU

BYU

Boise

New Mexico

Colorado State

SMU

Houston

Stronger Conference than the original MWC-8.

Potential Expansion Candidates:

Fresno, Memphis

I would have AFA on there.  They have a solid fan base and help with both tv viewership numbers and ticket sales. 

11 hours ago, suralexander said:

I would have AFA on there.  They have a solid fan base and help with both tv viewership numbers and ticket sales. 

I would be fine with Air Force or Hawaii for Football ONLY.

Hawaii would have to agree to play all home Football games on ESPN2 on Saturday night at 12 est

12 hours ago, suralexander said:

If the MWC as if were to venture into Texas it would be best to add 4.  UTSan, UNT, UTEP, and NMSU.

Only if the MWC loses current members and falls below 10 teams.  At no point should the MWC consider expanding beyond 12 teams unless they could somehow get the cream of the AAC crop and that ain't happening.  Adding G5 teams from Texas is completely overrated.  The only sure benefit is to get earlier game start times when traveling to the central time zone locations.

32 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

No they don't.

They have a ton of history with schools from the original WAC.  They are 4 hour drive from UNM.  Their facilities are way better than say SJSU, USU, Air Force, Wyoming just to name a few.  The Sun Bowl sits over 50k.  Yes they do belong.  But i understand how conference realignment worked out.  I think the next realignment, assuming MWC loses a few schools, UTEP will easily be back in.  But we'll see.  That's just my guess.

6 minutes ago, BacksThePack said:

If CUSA fails, what are the odds thevarious Texas G5 schools band together in a sort of new SW conference?

My guess is it can hold on a few more years, but long term it doesn't look good for attendance or tv revenue.  Too many teams and too large a footprint for the size of schools.

You ladies and this UTSA, UNT UTEP expansion...

The Texas market is way overfished for lower-tier G5 schools.  Adding those schools isn't opening any doors to Texas that aren't already open.  If this were not true, those schools wouldn't be struggling.  It's like saying SJSU opens up the California market.  What you motherfukkers need to do is tap into the northern Idaho/Moscow region.  That's your solution and I have spoken.

2 hours ago, alum93 said:

I think the next realignment, assuming MWC loses a few schools, UTEP will easily be back in.  But we'll see.  That's just my guess.

This is the key. W/O realignment the MWC needs to stand pat. If we lose multiple (as in 4 or so) schools, THEN sure, anything could happen, including NMSU being brought in.

Even losing a couple schools, the MWC could work something out with Hawai'i if needed or just stick it out as is with reduced numbers. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

12 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

This is the key. W/O realignment the MWC needs to stand pat. If we lose multiple (as in 4 or so) schools, THEN sure, anything could happen, including NMSU being brought in.

Even losing a couple schools, the MWC could work something out with Hawai'i if needed or just stick it out as is with reduced numbers. 

You guys ain't losing shit.  Realignment is de facto concluded. 

As I understand it, the verbage of the student fee increase was very vague and the students voted it down without looking at it twice.

This isn't an endorsement for UTSA but I don't think it's a reflection of athletics support. Everyone in C-USA is increasing fees across the board to help with the TV deal.

As it stands, UTSA expansion is a very, very specific set of circumstances IMO. But as far as C-USA is concerned they're still better than UNT and UTEP...even with their oly facility need.

31 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

i guess i should be more clear.  When i talk adding schools, i am implying that MWC has lost teams, not that it needs to expand currently.

UTEP should have been added over SJSU, but understand the whole theory about markets and tv contracts.  Don't agree that it worked, but i understand the logic.

20 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

UNLV

SDSU

BYU

Boise

New Mexico

Colorado State

SMU

Houston

Stronger Conference than the original MWC-8.

Potential Expansion Candidates:

Fresno, Memphis

I love how the community college in Vegas is so desperate to leave NEVADA behind. Seeing as NEVADA has had much greater success in both football AND basketball this century than UNLV, it's almost as though they subconsciously are acknowledging that the the only way to beat Nevada is to have them relegated to an inferior conference. 

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.