Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rosegreen

Dave Rice to CSUN?

14 hours ago, Ernie Baer said:

Actually Rice, and Augmon’s, name has been mentioned for the UC Riverside opening.  Maybe the second time will be the charm for Dave and Riverside. I think he will try and hold out for a better opportunity.  Would be a nice starter head coaching job for Stacey.  

I think Augmon and Rice would turn down being a HC there. Financially it’s probably a decrease in pay for both and certainly for any staffing they would put together. Rice makes good money at UW as does Augmon at Milwaukee. The facilities they work in are great and I don’t think they’ll sign on for a bus league. 

Rice is different, I don’t know if he’s actually interested in being a HC again. The way things ended at UNLV, which was his dream job had to have been a tough pill to swallow. 

If he is looking to be HC again, he’s probably holding out for BYU, Nevada, a MWC school and maybe even Washington State as that is a P5 job where he can attract decent assistants. 

15 hours ago, VincentVegaBond said:

I just don't see him ever being a decent HC with his personality.

I’m skeptical too.  At the very least he is going to have to change his recruiting philosophy.

If he brings in the same type of players he had at UNLV I don’t think he succeeds.  If he brings in guys like he helped work with at BYU he would have a better chance at improving.  

He isn’t the type of coach to get the most out of lowly motivated players with entourages.  

2 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

I think Augmon and Rice would turn down being a HC there. Financially it’s probably a decrease in pay for both and certainly for any staffing they would put together. Rice makes good money at UW as does Augmon at Milwaukee. The facilities they work in are great and I don’t think they’ll sign on for a bus league. 

Rice is different, I don’t know if he’s actually interested in being a HC again. The way things ended at UNLV, which was his dream job had to have been a tough pill to swallow. 

If he is looking to be HC again, he’s probably holding out for BYU, Nevada, a MWC school and maybe even Washington State as that is a P5 job where he can attract decent assistants. 

Everything I’ve heard is Dave wants to be a head coach again somewhere.  Whether or not he gets another chance remains to be seen.

Was a good career move landing at a P5 job with Washington.  If they have some pretty good success it will enhance his chances.  

Doubt he would take the Riverside job at this point,  but it would likewise be advised  he not try to aim too high.  The longer one goes without another HC job the harder it is.

As for Stacey, unlikely the interim coach is retained in Milwaukee so he will more than likely be looking for work.  Riverside would be a good starter HC job for him. 

On 2/20/2018 at 5:58 AM, Swoll Cracker said:

Sideshow Larry and Steve Barnes would be a good fit at CSUN.  Eustachy can commute from his home in Newport Beach. Barnes is a great chauffeur.  And since CSUN isn't very good Eustachy could probably get away with browbeating and calling his players worthless pieces on sh!t.

Eustachy should go back to USM....they suck under Doc Sadler and they don't care if yells a lot.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

On 2/20/2018 at 12:27 PM, ph90702 said:

Somebody who gets it.  We’re a P5 program in a mediocre conference.

OK, I'll bite. P5 in basketball but second division Big Sky in football.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, UofMTigers said:

Eustachy should go back to USM....they suck under Doc Sadler and they don't care if yells a lot.

Talk about a strange love triangle.

Tim Miles - CSU to Nebraska

Larry Eustachy - Southern Miss to CSU

Doc Sadler - Nebraska to Southern Miss

3 hours ago, Ernie Baer said:

Everything I’ve heard is Dave wants to be a head coach again somewhere.  Whether or not he gets another chance remains to be seen.

Was a good career move landing at a P5 job with Washington.  If they have some pretty good success it will enhance his chances.  

Doubt he would take the Riverside job at this point,  but it would likewise be advised  he not try to aim too high.  The longer one goes without another HC job the harder it is.

As for Stacey, unlikely the interim coach is retained in Milwaukee so he will more than likely be looking for work.  Riverside would be a good starter HC job for him. 

Thx for the info Ernie...

If true, gotta admire Dave's ambition. He's got a cushy job now, doing something he's been successful at and comfortable with, making way more doing so than most Americans ever will. Yet he wants another shot at something he failed so badly at, at his alma mater no less?  That takes confidence, ambition, and balls.

That said, to say he failed at UNLV is an epic understatement. It was a disaster on par with a manure-filled Boeing 747 crashing dead-on into a sewage plant. It wouldn't be totally inaccurate to say he went after the wrong players, but I think most even low-level college coaches could've done way more with them.

It was painful watching those teams inevitably regress and fail to adjust every year, appearing to lack even the most basic fundamentals. Rice is a smart guy and clearly knew way more than his teams demonstrated, he just lacked the leadership and communication skills to teach them and bring them together. 

I don't see that changing and would be astonished if he ever becomes even a mediocre HC.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

20 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

That’s a fair assessment.  Just like a Big East school.

Hardly. Only UConn was as bad at football as UNLV but the Huskies have won two NCAA basketball titles and almost double the number of tournament games as UNLV.

I'll add this. Nobody in their right mind above the FCS level would hire Dave Rice to be a head coach again and even that's a stretch.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Guest #1Stunner
20 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Hardly. Only UConn was as bad at football as UNLV but the Huskies have won two NCAA basketball titles and almost double the number of tournament games as UNLV.

I'll add this. Nobody in their right mind above the FCS level would hire Dave Rice to be a head coach again and even that's a stretch.

Pepperdine fired their coach and has an opening.

They should hire Dave Rice....  Really, they have nothing to lose, and one thing Dave Rice can do is recruit.   If it doesn't work out, they lose nothing (they still suck).

37 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Pepperdine fired their coach and has an opening.

They should hire Dave Rice....  Really, they have nothing to lose, and one thing Dave Rice can do is recruit.   If it doesn't work out, they lose nothing (they still suck).

I think Dave Rice is probably like me.  Can understand analytical concepts intuitively but has trouble explaining it in words.

16 hours ago, ph90702 said:

I think Dave Rice may have autism just like I do.  Just speculation.

With Dave it’s more of a personality issue. He let the players run the program. It wasn’t until the Arizona St. or Wyoming game, which I think was his last, that he really started yelling and demanding an effort. That team was a top 15 team and could hang with anyone. They blew out UCLA in the first ten minutes, then coasted. Discipline was lacking. Problem was the players had zero discipline.

I would think he’s learned a ton from Muss and at UW about discipline/structure/motivation. In his days at BYU, it was already a structured environment. 

At the end of the day, UNLV hired him way too early in his career.