Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boise fan

Iowa Moms Take Action to Secure Kids Classrooms

I'd heard of these devices before, and I'm not sure if most classrooms can be safeguarded this way, but it's a great defensive first effort.  I think such devices should become standard equipment for every school classroom.  Perhaps standardization of classroom doors would be in order.  Relatively inexpensive, it seems like a really good start to help safeguard our kids.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/02/19/sick-school-shootings-iowa-moms-take-action-make-classrooms-safe/353419002/

"These gadgets fit over the arm mechanism of a classroom door to secure it from the inside and prevent it from opening. The theory is that even a student would be able to quickly barricade the door if a shooter lurked just down the hallway."

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

1 hour ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

pathetic that we even need this

A lot of people may start doing this in their homes if sactowndog gets his civil war up and running.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

25 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

great idea, what could go wrong?

Honest question...  if it were your child would you feel better about him/her sitting in a classroom lame duck or sitting in a classroom with an armed teacher trained and ready to protect if, God forbid, it came down to it?

Anything like this would need to be on a voluntary and anonymous basis with extensive training.  It should also have an opt-out for parents like you who may not want their children in a classroom with an armed teacher.  It’s already legal in the state of Utah for teachers to conceal carry so your child might already be in a classroom with an armed teacher.

v0icAvfW.jpg

1 minute ago, NorCalCoug said:

Honest question...  if it were your child would you feel better about him/her sitting in a classroom lame duck or sitting in a classroom with an armed teacher trained and ready to protect if, God forbid, it came down to it?

Anything like this would need to be on a voluntary and anonymous basis with extensive training.  It should also have an opt-out for parents like you who may not want their children in a classroom with an armed teacher.  It’s already legal in the state of Utah for teachers to conceal carry so your child might already be in a classroom with an armed teacher.

I'd fear that for every situation they'd encounter and resolve there would be 100 accidental school shootings.  Similar to what we see in American today, for every instance of self defense where a gun is used properly to protect there are a hundred instances of an accidental shooting by careless gun ownership.

4 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

I'd fear that for every situation they'd encounter and resolve there would be 100 accidental school shootings.  Similar to what we see in American today, for every instance of self defense where a gun is used properly to protect there are a hundred instances of an accidental shooting by careless gun ownership.

That’s an irrational fear.  I don’t advocate teachers going out to play Rambo and seek out a shooter... rather secure children in the classroom as much as possible, protect and fire only when needed or engaged by a shooter. Defensive maneuvering only to protect a classroom.

v0icAvfW.jpg

But answer my question...  which scenario laid out would you prefer for your child, politics aside?

v0icAvfW.jpg

15 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

That’s an irrational fear.  I don’t advocate teachers going out to play Rambo and seek out a shooter... rather secure children in the classroom as much as possible, protect and fire only when needed or engaged by a shooter. Defensive maneuvering only to protect a classroom.

how many instances have we seen of unjustified cop shootings lately?  With all of their training cops have bad days and make mistakes that cost lives.  Can you imagine the issues we would have with armed teachers?

I don't want any guns in schools

7 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

how many instances have we seen of unjustified cop shootings lately?  With all of their training cops have bad days and make mistakes that cost lives.  Can you imagine the issues we would have with armed teachers?

I don't want any guns in schools

Apples to Oranges.  A teacher defending a classroom and only shooting if a known shooter breaks into the room is different than what cops have to do.  Like I said earlier, guns are already legal in Utah schools.

Will you please answer my question above, politics aside?

v0icAvfW.jpg

1 hour ago, Del Scorcho said:

great idea, what could go wrong?

I have no idea how this would even be possible. How are they going to train my 60 yr old mother who is a 2nd grade teacher how to carry and use a firearm.  And if she and others refuse do they automatically lose their jobs? Who is going to pay to train every single teacher? Do they hire less certified teachers who know how to use firearms and fire the better teachers who refuse to do the training and carry them?

5 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

I have no idea how this would even be possible. How are they going to train my 60 yr old mother who is a 2nd grade teacher how to carry and use a firearm.  And if she and others refuse do they automatically lose their jobs? Who is going to pay to train every single teacher? Do they hire less certified teachers who know how to use firearms and fire the better teachers who refuse to do the training and carry them?

I'd be in favor of a gun tax of 2000% that could go to pay funeral expenses, medical bills, teacher gun training and the hundred of other things that accompany gun ownership in America.  

Then a $200.00 gun purchase would cost the customer $4,000

Guest #1Stunner

I'd be in favor of a gun tax of 2000% that could go to pay funeral expenses, medical bills, teacher gun training and the hundred of other things that accompany gun ownership in America.  

Then a $200.00 gun purchase would cost the customer $4,000

Not a bad idea.  Make the public share the cost of paying for something that has inherent, high societal costs (deaths, injuries, damage).

Going with your idea, we also ought to implement a 2000% alcohol tax for the same or similar reasons you've stated.

A $20 bottle of wine would cost $400. 

@BSUTOP25

Why is no one talking about getting to the root of the problem?  When I was in high school, almost all of the pick ups had gun racks and guns in the rack and no one blinked an eye.  A lot of the pick ups were unlocked too but there were no school shootings.  What has changed in our society to drive people to do this?  Take away all the guns and yet people intent on evil will find another way to create the carnage.  Bombs, cars, etc.  If you have weeds in your lawn, you don't kill your lawn to fix the problem.  You go after the weed and the root.

down in a hole.jpg

1 hour ago, Broncomare said:

Why is no one talking about getting to the root of the problem?  When I was in high school, almost all of the pick ups had gun racks and guns in the rack and no one blinked an eye.  A lot of the pick ups were unlocked too but there were no school shootings.  What has changed in our society to drive people to do this?  Take away all the guns and yet people intent on evil will find another way to create the carnage.  Bombs, cars, etc.  If you have weeds in your lawn, you don't kill your lawn to fix the problem.  You go after the weed and the root.

I have no idea how this is an analogy to guns/schools/shooters. 

The weed is the killer?  the gun?  The lawn is the school?  The students?  Who is killing the lawn to kill the weed?  I thought the weed was trying to kill the lawn?  Why would the lawn have to die?

Seriously, I don't get it. Please explain it! 

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

3 hours ago, Boise fan said:

I have no idea how this is an analogy to guns/schools/shooters. 

The weed is the killer?  the gun?  The lawn is the school?  The students?  Who is killing the lawn to kill the weed?  I thought the weed was trying to kill the lawn?  Why would the lawn have to die?

Seriously, I don't get it. Please explain it! 

Not shocked you lack the mental capacity to get what he’s saying.

v0icAvfW.jpg