Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip4

Nevada fans Eric Musselman.... can Nevada keep him?

The average cost of college education per capita is roughly 14k per year in a public 4 year school, depending on the major. The cost of out of state and international student tuition is roughly 22k per year at Nevada. I think the Cali and Chinese students are subsidizing in state students.

41 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

It isn't reasonable if you are funded enough to accept students with a GPA of 2.5 from your taxpayer base and are wasting that on Californians and Chinese who are not part of your tax base.

UNR and UNLV are funded by Nevada taxpayers and that is who they should serve.   Any other use of taxpayer money is malfeasance.

You’re too stupid to read a spreadsheet? Shocking. 

11 hours ago, battle.borne said:

The actual proof is shown by surges in applications for admission. After successful athletic runs in football and basketball, schools report surges in admission applications. Not to mention raising the profile of athletics gets the attention of boosters on the athletic and academic sides, which certainly helps in fundraising. 

I would love to see a single study. The “Flute effect” is a term from an article not from an actual study. (If I’m not mistaken.) I’ve never seen an actual copy of it and the rest seem to be anecdotal stories. I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I don’t agree based on what I’ve read.

It’s just like a new stadium. Pro stadium people rave about the impact they have but every single study I’ve read or hear people reference say that a football stadium is a waste. 

6 hours ago, battle.borne said:

The actual proof is shown by surges in applications for admission. After successful athletic runs in football and basketball, schools report surges in admission applications. Not to mention raising the profile of athletics gets the attention of boosters on the athletic and academic sides, which certainly helps in fundraising. 

The Flutie Effect has not been shown to increase a university's academic reputation. Those studies that have shown an effect find that it drives a temporary increase in applications but not an increase in the quality of the applicant pool. In other words, if UNR, catches lightning in a bottle next month and reaches the Final Four, it'll see a 2-3 year bump in applications from the same type of students who are applying now.  That might lead to a slightly lower acceptance rate which might have a very marginal effect in the US News rankings, but that's about it.

It wouldn't lead to Nevada attracting Californians away from the UC system. It wouldn't lead to it keeping Nevadans who currently leave for the UC system or Washington or Colorado or highly selective private universities from still leaving. It wouldn't lead to better faculty coming to Nevada and thus more research dollars and better graduate student flowing into Reno.  At the end of the day, Nevada would get a slight bump in the number of 1050 SAT students applying. That's all. And that's if they make the Final Four.  What the hell are the tens of millions upon tens of millions that are being fed into a money losing athletic department actually doing for the university's primary mission in the absence of some miracle season?  

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

3 hours ago, bigd said:

International students is purely a revenue builder, I believe they pay around 30k per year. In fact we just recently signed a contract with some independent contractor who recruits international students, and in return gets a cut per student. 

Many of the out of state students who attend through WUE stay in the region and contribute economically. As a university we should be selecting the best students no matter where they come from. I'm surprised to see so many people against Nevada improving academically. If you can't swing a 3.0 in HS then go to TMCC. That's what our system is designed for. TMCC is open for anyone to attend. 

You didn't address the issue.

Good job wasting all our time.

15 hours ago, Victor Maitlin said:

The Flutie Effect has not been shown to increase a university's academic reputation. Those studies that have shown an effect find that it drives a temporary increase in applications but not an increase in the quality of the applicant pool. In other words, if UNR, catches lightning in a bottle next month and reaches the Final Four, it'll see a 2-3 year bump in applications from the same type of students who are applying now.  That might lead to a slightly lower acceptance rate which might have a very marginal effect in the US News rankings, but that's about it.

It wouldn't lead to Nevada attracting Californians away from the UC system. It wouldn't lead to it keeping Nevadans who currently leave for the UC system or Washington or Colorado or highly selective private universities from still leaving. It wouldn't lead to better faculty coming to Nevada and thus more research dollars and better graduate student flowing into Reno.  At the end of the day, Nevada would get a slight bump in the number of 1050 SAT students applying. That's all. And that's if they make the Final Four.  What the hell are the tens of millions upon tens of millions that are being fed into a money losing athletic department actually doing for the university's primary mission in the absence of some miracle season?  

You are making more baseless assumptions than the argument you are opposing. 

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

51 minutes ago, battle.borne said:

You are making more baseless assumptions than the argument you are opposing. 

I gotta agree. More theory. 

Nevada is attracting students from Cal in droves because of proximity, class availablity, and cost. Sports seem to have little impact as evidenced by the fact that the migration began when all major sports teams sucked. I can’t speak to academic faculty but my guess is that pay is a huge variable which aligns to department role and tenure. 

4 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Nevada is attracting students from Cal in droves because of proximity, class availablity, and cost. Sports seem to have little impact as evidenced by the fact that the migration began when all major sports teams sucked. I can’t speak to academic faculty but my guess is that pay is a huge variable which aligns to department role and tenure. 

The state of California?  Sure, Nevada might be attracting students from the state of California.  They are not attracting students away from Cal or any UC campus though.  It's attracting them from the Cal State schools.  If Nevada was attracting UC caliber students, it would have an average SAT score higher than 1085 and more than 25% of the freshmen class from the top tenth of their high school classes.

I agree with you that this is being driven by factors other than sports.

SteelCityBlue

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

15 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

From an article on the subject in The Economist.

An NCAA commissioned a study by Robert Litan, Jonathan Orszag and Peter Orszag (the new head of the CBO) found no relationship between university spending on athletics and an increase in student quality. 

The article will link you to the study itself.

And here's a study showing that while athletic success will lead to more athletic donations there's a very real possibility that those donations will actually crowd out giving to the academic side.  In other words, if you're Michigan, Ohio State or Wisconsin with a long history of A-level academic fundraising, you can do both.  If you're Nevada with a much smaller donor pool with a much weaker history of fundraising, all that excitement over a Final Four or Access Bowl, will quite possibly lead to donors moving donations over to athletics from academics.

SteelCityBlue

6 minutes ago, Victor Maitlin said:

From an article on the subject in The Economist.

An NCAA commissioned a study by Robert Litan, Jonathan Orszag and Peter Orszag (the new head of the CBO) found no relationship between university spending on athletics and an increase in student quality. 

The article will link you to the study itself.

You could write the same article for spending on diversity initiatives, women's studies programs and other PC bullshit - that hasn't stopped academia from wasting resources on them because it makes them feel good. At least football and basketball investments often pay themselves back and fund the scholarship requirements of title IX.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

7 hours ago, battle.borne said:

You could write the same article for spending on diversity initiatives, women's studies programs and other PC bullshit - that hasn't stopped academia from wasting resources on them because it makes them feel good. At least football and basketball investments often pay themselves back and fund the scholarship requirements of title IX.

I guess that’s true. But OTOH, every single FTE student pays a subsidy to the sports programs whether it wants to or not. The university spends millions on maintenance and other fees for sports as well. Do these investments pay themselves back? I don’t think so in real money but obviously there’s secondary benefits like advertising, PR, community relations, etc. Like I’ve said, sports are a tie back to the school and for the community. It plays an important role. But there’s a line that it has to be careful not to cross. My grad school, Washington St. is throwing money down a hole. It has NO chance of chasing UCLA or even UDub in sports. I don’t get it. 

28 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

I guess that’s true. But OTOH, every single FTE student pays a subsidy to the sports programs whether it wants to or not. The university spends millions on maintenance and other fees for sports as well. Do these investments pay themselves back? I don’t think so in real money but obviously there’s secondary benefits like advertising, PR, community relations, etc. Like I’ve said, sports are a tie back to the school and for the community. It plays an important role. But there’s a line that it has to be careful not to cross. My grad school, Washington St. is throwing money down a hole. It has NO chance of chasing UCLA or even UDub in sports. I don’t get it. 

I'd put it this way.  If a rationale for the athletic subsidies is that it helps attract better students, what would be a more efficient use of resources: the $10M subsidy hoping that one day it sparks a Flutie Effect, or spending that $10M directly on merit based scholarships ever year?

SteelCityBlue