Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip4

Nevada fans Eric Musselman.... can Nevada keep him?

2 hours ago, toonkee said:

I've poo poo'd the idea that he wouldn't jump ship for a better gig next year but now I think he won't unless it's a major, major offer that's just impossible to refuse.  There's little risk in staying another year in Reno with the team he's projected to have.  Hist stock will likely only increase next season and he can be a good dude and let his kid finish HS in Reno.

So, get him Muss 2.5 to 3 mill next year or he'll get it somewhere else.

Lol we had to pass the hat around all of Reno to get him to the 1 mill mark, unfortunately I see no possible way to get him close to the 2.5-3 mill.

im trying to enjoy the moment but I also don’t mind talking about this.  Chances are he leaves, but it’s fun to dream right?  He isn’t leaving this year though, unless some crazy high major program comes calling.

6 hours ago, KingBronco said:

Musselman is sketchy as hell reminds me of a younger version of "tricky" Rick Pitino. I hope he stays at Nevada for another 5 or 6 years. If that happens it will almost assuredly result in the death penalty for Nevada basketball right around the 2024-25 season because you know that guy is a walking NCAA infraction like Pitino was. Hookers and blow can get you a long way in the short term but isn't the answer for sustained program success...and yeah, I'm extremely bitter the Pack beat us in Boise and ruined our season.

What makes you say this?  Just because you don’t like his demeanor on the side lines?  The guy has been unbelievable on campus, highly engaged in the community, and brings an energy to Reno that we haven’t had in a long time if ever.  Yes he did get a DUI a long time ago when he was the Kings head coach but unless you have some examples on why you think this I find your post bullshit.

1 hour ago, bluerules009 said:

Considering there are going to be dozens of jobs open after the FBI gets done with college basketball.  If UNR isn't one of the teams found to be in violation their coach will certainly have a whole bunch of choices to leave.

I suspect he will be fired from UNR though after the FBI investigation exposes him.

You’re an idiot.  With what money are we buying recruits?

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

37 minutes ago, SixPack said:

Just want to throw out one other thing here that hasn't been discussed in regard to this topic. 

To the best of my knowledge, Muss's wife and daughter love it in Reno. 

They do have a nice home in one of Reno's best neighborhoods; zoned for quite possibly the best school's in the state.

I think he stays at least one more year.

1 hour ago, Packman04 said:

Lol we had to pass the hat around all of Reno to get him to the 1 mill mark, unfortunately I see no possible way to get him close to the 2.5-3 mill.

im trying to enjoy the moment but I also don’t mind talking about this.  Chances are he leaves, but it’s fun to dream right?  He isn’t leaving this year though, unless some crazy high major program comes calling.

Here's an article about how a successful sports result can affect a school's finances at Gonzaga, Miami and Northern Iowa. I know donations skyrocketed after CU won their co-championship. 3 million  may be a stretch but I don't think 2 million would be unattainable. As someone has already mentioned, I've heard more Muss interviews on national media in 1 year than I've heard about Nevada in my whole life. That's worth tens if not hundreds of thousands alone in positive advertising. The school is already growing in leaps and bounds but add the retail paying out of state student from Cali or Michigan, significant positive cash flow.

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/119205/how-the-basketball-program-helped-gonzaga-university-flourish

3 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

Nike money and agent money.

We’re not getting any Nike money.  I’d be more worried about BSU with their much more lucrative Nike contracts. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

Nike money and agent money.

Isn't that generally with freshman recruits and AAU/shoe company sponsorships? Last I checked, Nevada hasn't landed any high dollar freshman recruits. Muss has done it with undercoached veterans and midlevel transfers. Only the Martins and Stevens were highly recruited from HS and the Martins wanted a package deal and Stevens lost his playing time. If we land Brown, then you can throw unsubstantiated innuendo.

6 hours ago, sdsuphilip4 said:

With what Musselman has done the last few years at Nevada along with his rep coming into Nevada, he will have many schools after him, I doubt he can get a true game changing job, but mid level and lower level pac 5 programs are going to be going after him. Which kind of job do you think Musselman might leave for? And what are the odds he gets hired away in the offseason, any rumors you have heard? Obviously Musselman is by far the best coach in MWC and it is important for well being of MWC hoops for them to keep him (and for other schools to improve obviously)?

He'll be back next year for sure if he's got a loaded team, and I don't think there's any chance Caleb bolts to the NBA now (not that there was any talk I heard that he was even considering it) with a big question mark regarding his injury. The unknown with the injury will hurt his value, so I'm sure he's back. 

After next year, who knows. If we make a little noise in the Tourney this year and even more next year, he's going to be getting hounded. If President Johnson would have a clue and just fund athletics to the MWC average, just the average!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then we'd have around 5 mil more for BB and 5 mil more for FB. We could pay him 3 mil a year like Wichita St. does for Marshall, and we would have a Wichita St. or Gonzaga caliber program here. Hopefully Johnson retires soon. He's great for academics but he's a failure at supporting athletics at the MWC level. He needs to get a lot of grief and be pressured to do the right thing. 

kat.jpg

5 hours ago, nvspuds said:

Who knows?  He will either leave or he won't.  He is already rich, makes a million bucks a year which goes farther in Reno than it does in California yet he has a son in highschool in Danville and one in College in San Diego.  He has been able to get good players and has a very promising roster set for next year, but he he is not a fan of travel issues in the MW.  He is 53 and maybe wants to settle down..He is 53 and may want to take one more shot somewhere else..

Only he knows..However, he is here now and I am happy to have him in the fold..

That's blasphemy on this board. Repeat after me: "MW roadies are no tougher than in any other conference, MW roadies are no tougher than in any other conference . . ."

Boom goes the dynamite.

50 minutes ago, mugtang said:

You’re an idiot.  With what money are we buying recruits?

Idiot? Ya think? Dammit, Mug! You've let Boise State's resident imbecile push your buttons!;)

Boom goes the dynamite.

4 hours ago, Posturedoc said:

Muss is a competitor who hates losing with a passion, moreso than most coaches. He wears it on his sleeve. He wants to win championships, including, I believe, NCAA championships. If he feels the U of N can offer his program the support he believes he needs to recruit the type of players to Nevada who can make regular runs deep into the NCAA tournament and make the occasional run at Final Four, I think he’ll stick in Reno for a few years.

I think he’s a good enough coach to take a talented team that far, but it remains to be seen if he can collect enough of that talent at Nevada in a given year to make that a reasonable expectation. We may get a chance to see that play out next season if everything falls into place regarding players returning/getting healthy and finding that one quality big with the final scholarship. 

Muss needs to realize that his recruiting competitors make sure that his recruits know that he has a reputation for not staying long at any gig, and that he'll probably be gone soon. If he would just put an anchor down and let everyone know that he's committed to his contract and the program in future years, then I think his recruiting of HS players would become much easier. Fortunately for 1 year transfers it hasn't been a big problem, especially grad transfers that can play right away. But we need more HS players like Drew to balance with the transfers.

kat.jpg

My only real take on Muss is that programs who can pay him that much ($3M) probably want to see him recruit a couple 3-4 star HS kids and turn them to NBA prospects/Naismith types.  He's earning his stripes now with mostly transfers and dominating a MWC where UNM, SDSU and UNLV have slipped a bit.  Not sure that plays in the money conferences.  It might but I don't know of many coaches at that level that do.  He's a hell of a coach for the MWC but if someone wants to pay him that much he's gone.  

6 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

Unless an NBA job opens up, I don't see him leaving.  I assume Muss is getting paid decently enough and he can draw quality recruits.

And as for another college gig, he can do better than say, Washington State or Ole Miss who just fired their coach.  

Nevada is better job than Mississippi basketball...

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

That's blasphemy on this board. Repeat after me: "MW roadies are no tougher than in any other conference, MW roadies are no tougher than in any other conference . . ."

Repeat after me it is....  For +++++ sake we took a bus to Logan last year....how many P5 schools have to ride on a bus for 8 hours to a basketball game?  Hell how many P5 schools even take non chartered flights?

1 hour ago, UofMTigers said:

Nevada is better job than Mississippi basketball...

Yep.  At Ole Miss, basketball might be fourth on the totem pole below baseball and softball.  

3 hours ago, Packman04 said:

What makes you say this?  Just because you don’t like his demeanor on the side lines?  The guy has been unbelievable on campus, highly engaged in the community, and brings an energy to Reno that we haven’t had in a long time if ever.  Yes he did get a DUI a long time ago when he was the Kings head coach but unless you have some examples on why you think this I find your post bullshit.

I base my assertions purely on the fact that A: Musselman looks like a whiny little weasel and B: anyone in their fifties who takes their shirt off in public that often has some sort of mental illness. I understand most Reno fans don't see this but that is because you are all whiny little weasels that have some type of mental illness too.

I have also heard from a reliable source that Musselman sold his grandma into the Thai prostitution industry as part of a convoluted deal that also involved plenty of hookers and blow and eventually led to the Martin twins coming to Reno....unless you can prove otherwise I find your post bullshit.