Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mysfit

Military recruiting issues

25 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

A morbidly obese kid in my neighborhood enlisted and he came home about 170 pounds and pretty fit.  He probably weight 320 in high school.

How’d he get around the weight requirement?

21 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

How’d he get around the weight requirement?

I know they used to put fat guys through a separate basic training program until they could join with the rest.  I knew a guy who spent 2 six week cycles losing weight before he could join a regular group.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 3:21 PM, bluerules009 said:

I know they used to put fat guys through a separate basic training program until they could join with the rest.  I knew a guy who spent 2 six week cycles losing weight before he could join a regular group.

I think that part of this is that they consider guys like that to be marginal today because they wash out a lot more and they cost more to get ready.

But... come on, guys. You work with the tools you have. It is probably time to admit that it costs more to get the average American ready for duty and that more Americans are going to wash out and just accept that as our demographic reality.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 2:28 PM, Old_SD_Dude said:

I'll bet the obesity rate has increased a lot in the half-century since Vietnam.

So has the definition of what "obese" is. I would bet a fair number of those who served in Vietnam would be considered "obese" by today's standard.

24 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

So has the definition of what "obese" is. I would bet a fair number of those who served in Vietnam would be considered "obese" by today's standard.

Maybe the rear-area guys. In the old film clips you don't see any fat guys stomping through the jungle.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say