Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mysfit

Has the Eunuch in Chief met his match?

Some senator is ticked about hair cheetoh's lack of response re russia and is calling him the EiC.

But the real story are some of the survivor's responses to the small fingered vulgarian

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/18/politics/donald-trump-florida-shooting-twitter/index.html

He can't exactly return fire. These are 14-17 year olds who went through a mass shooting in school and he can't go after them the way he does everyone else who's crossed him.

One of the Final Five..........

4 minutes ago, mysfit said:

Some senator is ticked about hair cheetoh's lack of response re russia and is calling him the EiC.

But the real story are some of the survivor's responses to the small fingered vulgarian

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/18/politics/donald-trump-florida-shooting-twitter/index.html

He can't exactly return fire. These are 14-17 year olds who went through a mass shooting in school and he can't go after them the way he does everyone else who's crossed him.

Trump made a major mistake bringing Russia into the discussion about the Florida shooting.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

4 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Trump made a major mistake bringing Russia into the discussion about the Florida shooting.  

Oh, no worries. I bet his supporters will have no trouble justifying it.

4 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

The kids say they are organizing marches nationwide on March 24th. I think it will get a big turnout. 

I'm trying to think back if I've ever seen this level of anger before.  I'm not sure I do.  

So horrid that it took this to possibly get some action, but I'll reserve judgement until I see something concrete beyond "thoughts and prayers" and "it's the FBI's fault".

But those kids are amazing.

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

1 hour ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

The kids say they are organizing marches nationwide on March 24th. I think it will get a big turnout. 

Awareness will be good. Maybe even the long term answer to these things. This kid had the signs. Elliot Rodger had them. People reported them and they just went ignored. We as a society can take the first step.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

2 hours ago, BestintheWest said:

Awareness will be good. Maybe even the long term answer to these things. This kid had the signs. Elliot Rodger had them. People reported them and they just went ignored. We as a society can take the first step.

Many steps have been tried before. Maybe this time it works.

I always hope that this time it will be different. I continue to hope. I won't give up that hope. 

5 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Many steps have been tried before. Maybe this time it works.

I always hope that this time it will be different. I continue to hope. I won't give up that hope. 

I'm in more of a state of confusion. Where does the middle ground actually lie? What is common sense gun legislature exactly? And will it actually make a difference in preventing these tragedies?

The word common sense is thrown around, but specifics are non existent. The few specifics I've seen either violate the 2nd amendment in some fashion or is feel good legislation that wouldn't change a thing.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

48 hours from now nobody will be talking about Parkland and Hate Trump Posse will be on to the next "outrage".

Ritalin is a helluva drug.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

If the FBI did its job we wouldn't be having this conversation right now. The signs were there. People reported him. The FBI knew and did nothing. They failed to follow established protocol twice. And it isn't the first time they failed when they had info on people who eventually committed a mass shooting. 

2 hours ago, Rebelbacker said:

If the FBI did its job we wouldn't be having this conversation right now. The signs were there. People reported him. The FBI knew and did nothing. They failed to follow established protocol twice. And it isn't the first time they failed when they had info on people who eventually committed a mass shooting. 

Here's where you have to wonder if some "middle ground" compromises can be made that would bring both sides together. If someone has clearly demonstrated/communicated intent to commit an atrocity, then perhaps a more standardized and thorough but still legal and fair process can be instituted to first evaluate whether or not there is a credible threat, secondly to question or dialog with the person who has made threatening statements, and thirdly to monitor and perhaps detain said someone if they progressively and unquestionably move toward committing an act. It could be there might even be a way to proactively get help/counseling or whatever make the most sense for people who are in that mindset without pinning them in a corner and making them feel like more of an outcast loner/loser than they already do, which could be one of the motivators for these types of atrocities. I don't have all the right answers here but it seems as if law enforcement had an opportunity in this case to at least talk to the perp and perhaps even dissuade him from committing mass murder. And perhaps this would be at least somewhat closer to what @AndroidAggie was suggesting but obviously not as far reaching. Anyway, these are the types of discussions that can be had but people on my side of the line want to ensure that red flagging, monitoring, and banning don't become common widespread practice without due process, clear distinctions, and nimble application that gives people the opportunity to choose another path before they commit an evil act. Lastly, once your civil rights are taken away, it's very rare and difficult to get them back. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

6 hours ago, BestintheWest said:

I'm in more of a state of confusion. Where does the middle ground actually lie? What is common sense gun legislature exactly? And will it actually make a difference in preventing these tragedies?

The word common sense is thrown around, but specifics are non existent. The few specifics I've seen either violate the 2nd amendment in some fashion or is feel good legislation that wouldn't change a thing.

Not trying to start an argument at all, but I think gun owner advocates need to put forward some ideas if they think there is anything that constitutes “common sense” legislation. It seems that anything put forward by gun control advocates gets immediately dismissed as a 2nd Amendment violation or ridiculed for displaying a lack of knowledge regarding firearms. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

4 hours ago, Rebelbacker said:

It would be interesting to know exactly how many of these types of reports the FBI gets. My bet is that it is a huge number. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

24 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Not trying to start an argument at all, but I think gun owner advocates need to put forward some ideas if they think there is anything that constitutes “common sense” legislation. It seems that anything put forward by gun control advocates gets immediately dismissed as a 2nd Amendment violation or ridiculed for displaying a lack of knowledge regarding firearms. 

I for one would be more than willing to dedicate both more income tax and sales tax on firearms and ammunition toward funding a federal mental health program and also beefing up a systematic approach to having police agencies and social workers preemptively work with people who have openly expressed or demonstrated the desire to commit a mass shooting. There's just a delicate line we have to walk and not cross as a society -- I definitely don't want mass surveillance or invasion of privacy but maybe there's a logical pragmatic way to avoid stripping people of their constitutional rights without due process and proactively helping them before things get out of control and they commit a horrible act. If that were the tone of the discussion, both sides would probably at least agree to come to the table. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

4 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I think this article is well thought out and reasoned and provides a clearer path for both strengthening our 2nd amendment protections and improving safety.

http://tenthamendmentcenter.com/2016/08/01/why-we-need-independent-militias/

5 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

It would be interesting to know exactly how many of these types of reports the FBI gets. My bet is that it is a huge number. 

And then what exactly are they to do when they get a report like this?  Refer to local LE?  An interview happens.  Then what?  Sorry Mr and Mrs Old_SD_Dude but we think your daughter is mentally unstable.  We're taking you gun  or locking up your daughter.

The World Needs More Cowboys!