Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BleedRebelRed

Tim Duryea - hot seat?

15 hours ago, slappy said:

Saying that you competed with Boise while you were both in the WAC is a flawed argument.  As you move up in conference affiliation you must improve.  Some schools have and some schools have not.  Yes you were capable of competing in the WAC.   But are you set up to compete here.  Different animal all together. 

It is not a different animal at all.  Nevada, Boise, Fresno are number 1,2,3 in basketball.  They all came from the old WAC and have no issue competing and beating the MWC teams here before.  USU has the resources to compete just fine and proved it when they initially joined the MWC by winning a ton in football.  It comes down to coaching.  UNLV, CSU, UNM are all down in basketball.  There was no big step up for the old WAC schools.  If there was, the old guard would be dominating.  With the exception of SJSU and Air Force, any team in the MWC can be at the top in basketball in any given year with the right coach and recruits.  

You could probably make an argument about money with respect to football and winning consistently in the MWC because it takes so much more resources, but certainly not basketball.  One recruiting class can completely change the order of teams 1-10 next year in hoops.  Nevada can be like USU before the dropoff at end of Stew's run.  Riding high today and one bad hire away from middle of the pack if and when their coach leaves.  

2 hours ago, alum93 said:

It is not a different animal at all.  Nevada, Boise, Fresno are number 1,2,3 in basketball.  They all came from the old WAC and have no issue competing and beating the MWC teams here before.  USU has the resources to compete just fine and proved it when they initially joined the MWC by winning a ton in football.  It comes down to coaching.  UNLV, CSU, UNM are all down in basketball.  There was no big step up for the old WAC schools.  If there was, the old guard would be dominating.  With the exception of SJSU and Air Force, any team in the MWC can be at the top in basketball in any given year with the right coach and recruits.  

You could probably make an argument about money with respect to football and winning consistently in the MWC because it takes so much more resources, but certainly not basketball.  One recruiting class can completely change the order of teams 1-10 next year in hoops.  Nevada can be like USU before the dropoff at end of Stew's run.  Riding high today and one bad hire away from middle of the pack if and when their coach leaves.  

The important thing is you guys believe.  Things are looking up for the aggies.  Your in a good spot.  

On 2/18/2018 at 6:06 PM, Spot50B said:

Stews better WAC teams would have been behind SDSU, BYU and New Mexico (and sometimes Utah) pretty much every year.  They would have been middling for the most part...

Did you get the memo that BYU and Utah are not in the MW? Also, did you get the memo that New Mexico sucks? Stew's teams would have been on top of this conference, no question. USU fans are justified in expecting Mr. Diarrhea to be fired.

20 hours ago, slappy said:

Saying that you competed with Boise while you were both in the WAC is a flawed argument.  As you move up in conference affiliation you must improve.  Some schools have and some schools have not.  Yes you were capable of competing in the WAC.   But are you set up to compete here.  Different animal all together. 

I love how you're giving folks lectures about this when Wyoming has won like 3 conference titles ever in this league.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

1 hour ago, Jack Bauer said:

I love how you're giving folks lectures about this when Wyoming has won like 3 conference titles ever in this league.

How you doing Jack?  No lecturing here.  Only pointing out truths.  I am bullish on the Aggies.   Just realistic about the approach. This isn't about Wyoming.  Is that your angle here?  Or should we talk Byu?

3 hours ago, slappy said:

How you doing Jack?  No lecturing here.  Only pointing out truths.  I am bullish on the Aggies.   Just realistic about the approach. This isn't about Wyoming.  Is that your angle here?  Or should we talk Byu?

Point is, Wyoming doesn't win much here.  Not much different than USU.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

22 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Point is, Wyoming doesn't win much here.  Not much different than USU.

Jack you have always had a hard time staying on topic.  Why always move the conversation to Byu.  You trying to get us all banned here?   You little prick. 

10 hours ago, alum93 said:

It absolutely is a different animal.  NMSU has a decent squad this year, but I believe that they would  not have near the success in this years MWC that they are currently enjoying in the WAC.  NMSU has had little success vs the MWC.  NMSU is 18-32 vs the MWC, and has a losing record vs MWC teams in the Pan AM.  If "it is not a different animal at all", then would NMSU fare any better in the MWC given their past record vs the MWC?

22 minutes ago, stchas said:

It absolutely is a different animal.  NMSU has a decent squad this year, but I believe that they would  not have near the success in this years MWC that they are currently enjoying in the WAC.  NMSU has had little success vs the MWC.  NMSU is 18-32 vs the MWC, and has a losing record vs MWC teams in the Pan AM.  If "it is not a different animal at all", then would NMSU fare any better in the MWC given their past record vs the MWC?

Yeah people don't really understand very well.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't teach him to fish.  

1 hour ago, slappy said:

Jack you have always had a hard time staying on topic.  Why always move the conversation to Byu.  You trying to get us all banned here?   You little prick. 

Can you show me where I was talking about BYU on page 4 of this thread?  No lectures.  Just pointing out truth.  I'm just bullish on Wyoming, with their 2 all time MWC conference titles in nearly 20 years here.

10 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Can you show me where I was talking about BYU on page 4 of this thread?  No lectures.  Just pointing out truth.  I'm just bullish on Wyoming, with their 2 all time MWC conference titles in nearly 20 years here.

Stay on topic jack.   Aggies.   Keep up. 

Guest #1Stunner
24 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Slappy has an obvious BYU boner and inferiority complex.

Only he brought up BYU in this USU thread (predictable) and now he's whining that someone started talking about BYU...  What a dope.

Back on topic.... I think USU basketball will be fine when they get a new coach.  Many years under Stew they were the best basketball team in the State.

1 hour ago, Jack Bauer said:

Stay on point, champ.  You don't have any room to lecture the Aggies on anything given the state of your programs.

You are still not on topic.  You are helpless Jack.  I try and try but you may just be one of those guys that just can't get it figured.  Good thing is I am patient and willing to accept most types here.  But you are a strange little guy.  

3 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Would have to agree. Odd rant. Good teams in the WAC would have been good teams in the MWC. 

Pretty simple.  This.  Nevada, Boise, and Fresno all first place in MWC in basketball.  Boise continuing to win in football.   WAC teams are doing just fine.  USU football didn't struggle because competition changed after their first 3 years in MWC.  USU football struggled because they lost a great coach and replace with a not so great one.  Ditto for basketball.  Switch coaches 3 years ago in basketball between Nevada and USU and where do you think each school is today?  My guess is USU is top 3 and competing for title.  It's coaching.  

2 hours ago, slappy said:

You are still not on topic.  You are helpless Jack.  I try and try but you may just be one of those guys that just can't get it figured.  Good thing is I am patient and willing to accept most types here.  But you are a strange little guy.  

Indeed, helpless.  I'd probably direct your focus to trying to get your programs in to such a state that they win more than 1 conference title per decade instead of sanctimoniously lecturing other programs fans about what needs to happen so they're more competitive here.  It would be like me going to a Clemson board with some super hot takes about how they should improve their program.

I agree with alum93. It's all about coaching. UNM, UNLV, and SDSU are all down because of poor coaching hires. I think Weir will be a great hire, Menzies will be okay, and the jury is still out on Dutcher. Nevada was complete trash with Carter, but now they struck gold with Musselman. The problem is that the MW (and NMSU) can't keep their coaches if they are successful. Where will Jans go next? Maybe Nevada when Muss leaves haha. 

1 hour ago, Lobonado said:

I agree with alum93. It's all about coaching. UNM, UNLV, and SDSU are all down because of poor coaching hires. I think Weir will be a great hire, Menzies will be okay, and the jury is still out on Dutcher. Nevada was complete trash with Carter, but now they struck gold with Musselman. The problem is that the MW (and NMSU) can't keep their coaches if they are successful. Where will Jans go next? Maybe Nevada when Muss leaves haha. 

Very few teams can keep really good coaches. That’s the reality of the profession.