Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BleedRebelRed

Tim Duryea - hot seat?

I really don't see USU being relevant in hoops in the conference unless they luck into a Muss type hire. Duryea is trash. It is highly unlikely they will find a coach that will achieve in the MWC what Stew did in the WAC, and that will always be the measuring stick.

USU can be relevant in football. Just don't see it in hoops. 

8 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

I really don't see USU being relevant in hoops in the conference unless they luck into a Muss type hire. Duryea is trash. It is highly unlikely they will find a coach that will achieve in the MWC what Stew did in the WAC, and that will always be the measuring stick.

USU can be relevant in football. Just don't see it in hoops. 

I’m curious why you think USU can be relevant in football but not hoops. Not trolling, want to know your reasons. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

14 hours ago, Swoll Cracker said:

They love him in Logan.  He's the guy that built the Utah State program up in the 90's before Stew Morrill took over.

Can't imagine another AD at a D1 school wanting to take the risk associated with him.  They are not as desperate for a winner as the Rams were.  That type of approach always blows up in your face.  Believe me, having an average program is a whole lot better than a complete rebuild.  Not to mention the damage that is done to the universities reputation.  

25 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

I’m curious why you think USU can be relevant in football but not hoops. Not trolling, want to know your reasons. 

Yeah that is usually thought to be the other way around.  Budget and scholarship numbers would say it is tougher in football. 

6 minutes ago, slappy said:

Yeah that is usually thought to be the other way around.  Budget and scholarship numbers would say it is tougher in football. 

Maybe it’s a recency bias since USU has recently fielded some winning teams in football *shrugs*. I’m interested in the reasons. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

37 minutes ago, cosinama said:

That’s what happens when you’re perfectly average. 

I’ll give you a perfect average ass kicking if you don’t donate enough money to hire a capable replacement, pussy. 

6 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

I have been perfectly below average for decades now..

You’re above average at being below average at least. That’s some consistency. 

7 hours ago, madmartigan said:

Expectations. As I said, Stew's performance in the WAC will be the measuring stick. You guys could luck into a great hire who will get you back there on the MWC, but odds are long unless you guys are paying 750k plus.

I think you guys also have established a culture of success in football recently and it just seems easier to find up and coming football coaches than basketball coaches.

36 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Expectations. As I said, Stew's performance in the WAC will be the measuring stick. You guys could luck into a great hire who will get you back there on the MWC, but odds are long unless you guys are paying 750k plus.

I think you guys also have established a culture of success in football recently and it just seems easier to find up and coming football coaches than basketball coaches.

I agree with this. Utah also produces an usually high amount of D1 football players given its diminutive population. 

1 hour ago, madmartigan said:

I’ll give you a perfect average ass kicking if you don’t donate enough money to hire a capable replacement, pussy. 

I donated a perfectly average amount of my weekly salary, which was enough to hire John Calipari. Looks like they chose to use the money elsewhere, probably settling sexual assault claims. 

3 minutes ago, ProvoAggie said:

USU fans don't expect to have the same success in the Mountain West as they did in the Mountain West but we at least expect to be in the discussion. People keep arguing that the teams in the Mountain West are a step above the teams they played in the WAC. While that is somewhat true, a lot of teams in the MW are the same. The WAC basically came down to USU, Nevada and NMSU every year. The Aggies dominated Boise State, Fresno State, San Jose State along with the other teams that were part of the conference. 3 of those inferior WAC teams currently make up the top 3 spots in the MW standings. Nevada is once again competing for and winning conference championships.

The argument of higher competition also falls apart when you see that USU's struggles didn't start when they joined the MW, they started the last 2 years in the WAC. USU took 4th place it's last year in the WAC and had first round conference tournament exits in Vegas each of those last 2 seasons.

If you were back in the WAC right now you would be competing for a title.  Looks pretty cut and dry. 

44 minutes ago, ProvoAggie said:

While that may be true, we definitely wouldn't be guaranteed to win it and the WAC right now is just a shell of it's former self. 5 of the 9 teams that were in the WAC when USU was there are now in the MWC...and 3 of them are at the top.

Yeah it's a lot tougher up here.  Just enjoy the ride.  Your past successes will be almost impossible to repeat.  Look at San Jose State for example. 

11 hours ago, ProvoAggie said:

SJSU frequently finished in last place in the WAC. They are sitting in the same place now that they sat then. USU has beaten them 21 straight times. Yesterday was the 10th anniversary of the last time SJSU beat USU. That was also the only time that USU has lost to SJSU in the time that they've been together in the WAC/MWC (since 2006). They've always been in the dumpster. I do also realize that it's tougher here which is why I don't expect the level of dominance we had in the WAC. We won 4 straight Championships there. I do expect though to complete for the upper half of the conference. I don't feel like that's a big thing to ask since the teams that we've historically competed with are doing it.

Facilities, budget, coaching and athletes all need to be on par to compete year in and year out.  The standard for all of these is higher in the MW.  I think you will struggle recruiting the type of athlete needed and budget wise.  I am guessing those are your biggest obstacles right now?  Is that correct?