Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BleedRebelRed

Tim Duryea - hot seat?

Anyone know if there's anything behind this?  I've always had a grudge against Duryea (since he ratted out CDR in the national media about giving him a courtesy heads up that David Collette was being shopped around, in what was the beginning of the bizarre sequence of events that imploded the Rebs' 15-16 season)... but other than that I think he's done OK and I really like USU's guards this season.

Odd that the coach of Wasatch is mentioned... that was the reason this caught my eye.  UNLV, Washington, and a bunch of other school's are recruiting Wasatch's center.

Coaching Changes @CoachingChanges

Just heard Tim Duryea has managed to get himself into serious trouble, even though it’s only year 3

Curtis Condie of Wasatch Academy would be a very interesting name there

Duryea in serious trouble?  Only due to his coaching abilities.  He was not a popular pick to replace Stew and his record has bourne that out.  But considering USU's injuries this season and the fact that USU has done a bit better than predicted (thanks Fresno St.!) he will likely be given next year to see if he can raise his game — meaning a top 3 finish in the league.  If not, he'll not have his contract renewed and will be bought out of his 5th year.  

I think Duryea has been slightly above average given the circumstances in Logan but unreasonably high expectations may get him booted if the Baggies don't finish strong this year. I figure they will finish 9-9 in conference which is actually fairly impressive IMO considering they are near the bottom of the conference as far as overall roster talent...I wouldn't think that warrants getting canned but a lot of USU bball fans are still living in circa 2005.

Yeah, I had no idea who that was either (had to google him).

Does Utah State really believe they are going to be a consistent top three team in the MWC at some point?  What is their best finish in the league?  I personally feel that even when they were good in the Big West and WAC it was mostly because their competition was so poor.

From what I read he was on the hot seat at Utah St coming into this year already. Utah St has one better this year than expected and does have some big wins, which might buy him another year possibly but going into this season I read stories saying he was already on the hot seat for this season

14 minutes ago, Spot50B said:

Yeah, I had no idea who that was either (had to google him).

Does Utah State really believe they are going to be a consistent top three team in the MWC at some point?  What is their best finish in the league?  I personally feel that even when they were good in the Big West and WAC it was mostly because their competition was so poor.

Stews better WAC teams would’ve competed just fine in the MW- especially given the home court advantage at that time. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

6 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

Stews better WAC teams would’ve competed just fine in the MW- especially given the home court advantage at that time. 

Stews better WAC teams would have been behind SDSU, BYU and New Mexico (and sometimes Utah) pretty much every year.  They would have been middling for the most part...

13 minutes ago, Spot50B said:

Stews better WAC teams would have been behind SDSU, BYU and New Mexico (and sometimes Utah) pretty much every year.  They would have been middling for the most part...

Stews teams had a winnning record against Utah and close to .500 against BYU his whole time here- including the last few down years. I’m not saying every year would’ve been a top 3 finish but I’m guessing he would’ve had two or three top 3 finishes. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

30 minutes ago, slappy said:

There is only one university dumb enough to hire him after what he pulled.  

They love him in Logan.  He's the guy that built the Utah State program up in the 90's before Stew Morrill took over.

1 minute ago, madmartigan said:

Stews teams had a winnning record against Utah and close to .500 against BYU his whole time here- including the last few down years. I’m not saying every year would’ve been a top 3 finish but I’m guessing he would’ve had two or three top 3 finishes. 

Problem in Logan is athletic budget relative to the other schools in the MWC. I'm not sure Stew could have overcome that.

6 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Problem in Logan is athletic budget relative to the other schools in the MWC. I'm not sure Stew could have overcome that.

Yeah that is very true. It’s tough to recruit to Logan too, but when the team is good the home court is really helpful for winning conference games. 

5 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

Yeah that is very true. It’s tough to recruit to Logan too, but when the team is good the home court is really helpful for winning conference games. 

Logan was not a tougher place to play than The Pit or Viejas.  Also, there was not much to brag about away from Logan in all that time (one tourney win I think).  I feel like Stew was a solid coach for a middle to lower level conference.  He got all that he could out of some less athletic white boys but the reality is Utah State barely made a dent in college basketball.  

I think what Stew was able to create in Logan was pretty cool.  I wish Boise State had an atmosphere like that.  It would have been nice if all those wins could have built something lasting in Logan but I'm not so sure that it did.

14 minutes ago, Spot50B said:

Logan was not a tougher place to play than The Pit or Viejas.  Also, there was not much to brag about away from Logan in all that time (one tourney win I think).  I feel like Stew was a solid coach for a middle to lower level conference.  He got all that he could out of some less athletic white boys but the reality is Utah State barely made a dent in college basketball.  

I think what Stew was able to create in Logan was pretty cool.  I wish Boise State had an atmosphere like that.  It would have been nice if all those wins could have built something lasting in Logan but I'm not so sure that it did.

It doesn’t really matter if Logan was tougher than the pit or Viejas as long as the Home team is winning. It’s all about opinion and I think The Spectrum 08-11 was as tough a place to play as any. Anyway no sense in arguing this as we aren’t going to agree. 

Stew was a solid coach for a middle to lower level conference which is what the MWC is, this season there is one real good team in Reno, one good team in Boise, and a bunch of average in the rest of the conference.

Tim's seat is warm, but it is not because the MWC is so much tougher, his teams are not all that good. This season he has lost every instate game which included Big Sky Weber state, he has also lost the last two games to Weber, that spells trouble.

2 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

Stew was a solid coach for a middle to lower level conference which is what the MWC is, this season there is one real good team in Reno, one good team in Boise, and a bunch of average in the rest of the conference.

Tim's seat is warm, but it is not because the MWC is so much tougher, his teams are not all that good. This season he has lost every instate game which included Big Sky Weber state, he has also lost the last two games to Weber, that spells trouble.

Not to mention losing to Portland earlier this year.