Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

How BLM won me over.

So a while back we had a thread about the President of Black Lives Matter of Greater New York after a great speech he made at a GOP Trump event.  He accepted my friend request.  The guy and the leaders of his chapter all phenomenal.  I bought into the rhetoric that the reason it seems black people seem to be sooo unfairly treated by the police force is because of how much coverage they get,  BS.  You would not believe the shit that goes on I would not have heard of if I did not follow him.  Hundreds of stories since then.  On top of the protesting at these trials he keeps the public updated of events at the trials, the reactions of family members and other great bits.  However that is not even the coolest thing his group does.  

They teach high school kids how to be community organizers.  It is fantastic.  The number of kids he has mentored is phenomenal.  I can not imagine having so much energy and passion to do this daily.  He teaches kids in the Bronx and other areas how to get their local communities involved.  How to sell themselves and their message.  Kids who might not otherwise have that type of adult leader in their life.  The other more noticeable members do the same thing.  The life lessons and valuable skill sets they are teaching to so many will make a huge difference.  Frankly the people who say they do not care about their own communities do not know what they are talking about.  We are talking thousands and thousands of kids learning that this is grinding too.

https://www.facebook.com/HawkNewsome44 worth a follow guys.

T

It’s great that you’ve come around on blm but that it took all that exemplifies why it’s so important. Black people really do have to work harder and accomplish more in order to achieve respect. Just existing and doing their best is not enough.  

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/10/why-black-workers-really-do-need-to-be-twice-as-good/409276/?utm_source=atlfb

22 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

It’s great that you’ve come around on blm but that it took all that exemplifies why it’s so important. Black people really do have to work harder and accomplish more in order to achieve respect. Just existing and doing their best is not enough.  

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/10/why-black-workers-really-do-need-to-be-twice-as-good/409276/?utm_source=atlfb

I acknowledged systemic racism and my white privilege long before liking BLM.

39 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I acknowledged systemic racism and my white privilege long before liking BLM.

I didn’t mean to criticize you specifically, just a general observation. Blm is unlikely to win over many people no matter what they do. Their mistakes will always be amplified over their triumphs. Good on you though for keeping an open mind.

14 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I didn’t mean to criticize you specifically, just a general observation. Blm is unlikely to win over many people no matter what they do. Their mistakes will always be amplified over their triumphs. Good on you though for keeping an open mind.

That’s @halfmanhalfbronco. A great poster who’s life experiences seemed to have given him a perpetually open mind. A true rarity.

6 hours ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

@halfmanhalfbronco and here I thought this post was going to be all about how the Burea of Land Management wooed you into taking a job :P

that was my thought on blm as well.  land management in the west.

It is crucial to have an open mind today. Now more than ever.

It is the people who are willing to really listen to other's opinions, and learn from other's experiences, who will heal the rifts in America. I pray there are a ton more like @halfmanhalfbronco out there.

Nobody has a monopoly on the truth. Anybody who thinks they do are not to be trusted. We will never know everything.

And it's going pretty good in here @Jack Bauer