Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV at SDSU

4 hours ago, bnastyaztecs said:

The Aztecs have blown many 20 pt leads this year in the last minutes of the game this year...darn right he was yelling...could you imagine if they went soft and let UNLV rattle off 20 pt run...total meltdown and end of the season for us...so sorry if your feelings were hurt...SDSU was starving...and they needed a good meal.....

You might need to tell it to the cbssports guys, they were the ones talking about him yelling at his team for not going hard enough with a 30 (not 20) point lead with 6 minutes left.  My feels weren’t hurt, as I said initially, I was a little surprised. But you guys can read into it what you will, I’ve done nothing but say all along the Aztecs could be dangerous when they decided to be. They decided. 

In fact, I may have been your biggest non Aztec believer.

just sayin. 

8 hours ago, masterfrog said:

Is there even a possibility of a tiebreaker with Fresno State?  Did they make up their game with Air Force? If not, they will have one less conference game than everybody else.

They’ll make up their game.  We’ve already beaten UNR once, so all we’d have to do is beat Fresno at home.  Fresno got swept by UNR.

9 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Here's hoping my team and yours somehow play in the MWC tournament final. If we do, that place will be rockin' like it used to be in the finals of the tourney.

I'd be shocked if either of our fanbases show in any significant amount. With UNR and Boise on top, this tourney is gonna be a tomb. 

The only way out fanbases show is if our teams are in the top 3.

If UNLV makes the finals, there will be a bunch of fans buying game day, but do you really think Aztecs will show in any significant amount? Seems your home atmosphere is down like ours is. Doesnt seem likely many will make travel plans.

15 hours ago, RedheadRebel said:

Well that game was useless. Congrats to the Aztecs. Gave the Rebs a no joke beat down at a time when the Rebs were feeling themselves a bit. I hope the Rebs just shake it off and throw that one away. Don't even watch the tape. And yes, let's get a third game in the MWC tourney! There's no love lost between the fanbases.

SDSU has some talent and size coming in which I'm excited about. I want them to be the juggernaut they should be. The UNLV program should be trying to match and exceed that. It's good for the MWC. 

And regardless of recruits and star ratings, I'd be surprised if SDSU had anyone as productive and consistent as Shakur Juiston next season.

The Rebels will be in the race.

Juiston is a stud.  Love watching him play.  If McCoy played with his passion,  hoooweee. 

2 hours ago, roughrider said:

Juiston is a stud.  Love watching him play.  If McCoy played with his passion,  hoooweee. 

It's funny,that's what many said last year when comparing Caroline and Oliver, but Oliver actually played great D. Some folks just wanted to see more desire.

Meh, different type players. I'd venture that if McCoy at 7' played with the energy of Juiston, he'd be very foul prone.

46 minutes ago, renoskier said:

It's funny,that's what many said last year when comparing Caroline and Oliver, but Oliver actually played great D. Some folks just wanted to see more desire.

Meh, different type players. I'd venture that if McCoy at 7' played with the energy of Juiston, he'd be very foul prone.

Actually I was suggesting it looks like he's disinterested sometimes.   He's not the athlete Juiston is IMO.   

Btw, I was a fan of Oliver's too.  Thought his game subtle at times but not for lack of effort. 

6 minutes ago, roughrider said:

Actually I was suggesting it looks like he's disinterested sometimes.   He's not the athlete Juiston is IMO.   

Btw, I was a fan of Oliver's too.  Thought his game subtle at times but not for lack of effort. 

Up hear, you'd often hear the same criticism of Oliver. I didn't agree, looks can be deceiving.

11 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

I'd be shocked if either of our fanbases show in any significant amount. With UNR and Boise on top, this tourney is gonna be a tomb. 

If UNLV makes the finals, there will be a bunch of fans buying game day, but do you really think Aztecs will show in any significant amount? Seems your home atmosphere is down like ours is. Doesnt seem likely many will make travel plans.

Travel plans? No, you're correct about that but I think many Aztecs will view it like I'm starting to.

We like coming to Sin City. Particularly if our guys should manage to run the table in our last four, if we then win on Thursday, you'll see at least 1,000 Aztecs on Friday and if we win then, at least 1,000 more will show up on Saturday.

Of course, if we should lose this week at AF or San Jose, NOBODY from San Diego will be there nor would the team deserve to have such support.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Fwiw, McCoy has said that he never had to play defense in high school. So it has definitely not been a priority for him but in recent games he has made more of an effort. But Juiston is relentless on the boards and has a heck of a motor. However, on the offensive end he is not doubled or tripled like McCoy is, and has been able to get great position. Dutch made some good adjustments in the way they play McCoy. 

13 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

I’m predicting record low ticket sales at this point. 

7 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Why would it be lower than last year? UNLV is much improved and could make a run.

Also, there's not as much "room" conflict this year is there?

Rebels are improving, but still playing to lower than expected crowds. New Mexico is not doing well, ditto SDSU, Wyoming went on a slide, Colorado State is in turmoil. Outside of Boise and Nevada, I don’t see a large contingent traveling out to Vegas. 

I've been to half a dozen MWC tournaments over the years but not since Kawhi turned pro. I remember going that time because my buddies and I shared libations with some of his peeps at halftime of one of the games. Very nice folk. Since then, I've been too busy or just wasn't motivated to go for some reason. Probably because I just wasn't "feeling it," to use my son's term.

Boom goes the dynamite.

24 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Rebels are improving, but still playing to lower than expected crowds. New Mexico is not doing well, ditto SDSU, Wyoming went on a slide, Colorado State is in turmoil. Outside of Boise and Nevada, I don’t see a large contingent traveling out to Vegas. 

All-time MWC tournament records with number of finals reached in parentheses:

SDSU 27-14 (9)

UNLV 26-14 (8)

UNM 16-14 (5)

CSU 14-17 (2)

Wyoming 11-17 (2)

Air Ball 4-18 (Goose egg)

Boom goes the dynamite.

5 hours ago, renoskier said:

Why would it be lower than last year? UNLV is much improved and could make a run.

Most UNLV fans know that much of the inflated Rebel win record comes from playing significantly lesser competition. We'll see how they finish the conference, especially after the last game. 

1 minute ago, quickdraw said:

Most UNLV fans know that much of the inflated Rebel win record comes from playing significantly lesser competition. We'll see how they finish the conference, especially after the last game. 

Yeah but their conference record is much better. They are a much better team than last year and have a real shot at stealing the tournament.

Regarding the other teams @Rosegreen, I don't really see that they are much different than last year; actually New Mexico is much better. And the fact that Vegas should be less crowded with fewer events going on.......