Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV at SDSU

5 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Well, I said they were "trying" to. I also said, "it wont work".  I dont think they can establish that in one game, and the way recruiting is going for UNLV, I think its just a matter of time. 

San Diego is a different team at home this year. Teams blow each other out and then lose the next game all the time in the playoffs and in conference. 

This UNLV team wont wilt. This game was an anomaly and will just piss them off.

The tecs will get the Rebs best shot at the Mack next time around.

i hope you're right.

It's been been a year long process; New head coach and lots of new parts. Can't say we're there until they figure out how to win on the road and closeout close games but happy with what I saw today.

Rebs looked tired. McCoy is real though. It's obvious when you see him in person.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 hour ago, qwelish said:

That was all about recruiting and trying to reestablish dominance. 

It wont work. 

Rebs will beat them in the tournament if they get them.

Have the Rebels ever beat the Aztecs in the tournament?

SDSU has had 5 upper half NCAA berths in a row.

Rebels killed the Aztecs inside in the first game. The Aztecs changed how they doubled inside. First game the second big came from the basket. UNLV's bigs passed out of that toward the basket very well. This game the Aztecs doubled from outside. The UNLV bigs didn't pass well out of that and didn't finish well either. 

SDSU has had 5 upper half NCAA berths in a row.

2 minutes ago, AztecBill said:

Rebels killed the Aztecs inside in the first game. The Aztecs changed how they doubled inside. First game the second big came from the basket. UNLV's bigs passed out of that toward the basket very well. This game the Aztecs doubled from outside. The UNLV bigs didn't pass well out of that and didn't finish well either. 

The Rebs did nothing well today, and the Aztecs couldn’t miss. I went back and watched the first half and this game was over in the first minute, it just went from bad to worse. Congrats on the win, your team came to play. 

11 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

The Rebs did nothing well today, and the Aztecs couldn’t miss. I went back and watched the first half and this game was over in the first minute, it just went from bad to worse. Congrats on the win, your team came to play. 

Rebs played poorly and most/all of that was because of the Aztecs. SDSU just played really well today and once their confidence was up they were unstoppable.  I dare say they would have beaten any team in the MW today and probably a few top 20 teams.  

Just now, toonkee said:

Rebs played poorly and most/all of that was because of the Aztecs. SDSU just played really well today and once their confidence was up they were unstoppable.  I dare say they would have beaten any team in the MW today and probably a few top 20 teams.  

Yes they were absolutely dominant, there was no stopping them. All credit to the Aztecs. 

7 minutes ago, toonkee said:

6 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Yes they were absolutely dominant, there was no stopping them. All credit to the Aztecs. 

Today's win was the recruiting news 

1 minute ago, UNLV2001 said:

3 Star ?!?! For the hype I figured 4 pr 5 :shrug: with some of the programs looking at him 

That's what's so surprising. I think he's only been on the radar for a year or two. 

20 minutes ago, toonkee said:

The great zone defense experiment of 17/18 is, or should be mercifully over.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

16 minutes ago, toonkee said:

A good accurate post. Many of the others in this thread are pure comedy. 

44 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

3 Star ?!?! For the hype I figured 4 or 5 :shrug: with some of the programs looking at him 

It may be the way hes used and also his hs team is loaded with D-I talent. They play a zone and hes out on the wing a lot. 

In 2nd halves a lot of times he plays point forward. He initiates the offense. He doesnt really look to score a lot. The value of his game is defensive versatility and creating mismatches on offense.

His impact wont be immediate. He may only play spot minutes next year. His value is when he's a jr and sr.  

jr hardy/so hamilton/so Ntambwe/ jr Beck/jr Diong /so Woodbury is a tremendous foundation to look forward to. Djordijie and Coupet will also be seniors.

None of the foundation guys will be going pro. This is how a winning program is built.

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

3 Star ?!?! For the hype I figured 4 or 5 :shrug: with some of the programs looking at him 

The star system is a joke, mostly about perception.  For the past six months UNLV was considered to be the favorite to land Lahat Thioune.  Last week he committed to "PAC-10" Utah and 48 hours later was upgraded from 2-star to 3-star.

But as far as high school recruiting... right now UNLV is starting two guards who started college at the Division 2 junior college level.  I didn't even know there was such a level, but now we have two D2 JC starters?