Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

So radical lefties ... is it time to start the alcohol ban discussion too?

16 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

I'll contend that lack of gun ownership leads to alcoholism. 

When the good people of Western Europe had to give up their god given right to own a firearm thy had to cope somehow. Instead of a cold .38 in their hand they substituted a pint. 

That my friend .. is how MWCBoarding is done!

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

2 hours ago, Wyovanian said:

Then why the focus and sense of urgency on one, but not the other?

Have you been living on another planet? MADD, "drink responsibly" in every alcohol advertisement, steadily decreasing DUI limits, billboards and radio ads everywhere that talk about the consequences of drunk driving, high school education classes that are focused on alcohol, fraternities shut down due to initiation alcohol poisoning, police running stings on bars not IDing people...

I'd say that the "focus and sense of urgency" is firmly on the side of alcohol issues and not gun issues. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, Rebelbacker said:

Probably. Have to redesign 9/10 cities to make it work though. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

6 hours ago, retrofade said:

You do realize that you're comparing apples and oranges, right? This is the problem with attempting to engage in an intelligent discussion regarding gun violence in the US --- both sides end up implying that the other wants ridiculous extremes and no solution can ever be even discussed. 

Ok, I've been thinking about this yesterday and today, and I want to know how you think this would have gone if we had some laws for gun control in place with the current situation in Florida.

No snark, no sarcasm on my part.  I truly want to know what you think may have happened and how it would have prevented this.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

1 minute ago, Jack Bauer said:

Ok, I've been thinking about this yesterday and today, and I want to know how you think this would have gone if we had some laws for gun control in place with the current situation in Florida.

No snark, no sarcasm on my part.  I truly want to know what you think may have happened and how it would have prevented this.

Well, since the assault weapons / magazine capacity ban sunseted in 2004. The number of mass shootings and the body count from these shootings has risen dramatically. 

6 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Well, since the assault weapons / magazine capacity ban sunseted in 2004. The number of mass shootings and the body count from these shootings has risen dramatically. 

So have alcohol related deaths since prohibition was lifted in 1933.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

1 minute ago, renoskier said:

Agreed.  That said, there's nothing to keep someone from walking in a school with 5 or 6 hand guns and still getting a high body count.  Didn't this guy obtain the rifle from a white supremacy group?  I just think there's already too many guns out there to make some sort of regulation effective.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

3 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Agreed.  That said, there's nothing to keep someone from walking in a school with 5 or 6 hand guns and still getting a high body count.  Didn't this guy obtain the rifle from a white supremacy group?  I just think there's already too many guns out there to make some sort of regulation effective.

Yes, but we have to start somewhere, otherwise in 20 years there will be even more in the hands of deranged folks.

Like I've said before, there's no real reason anyone "needs" high capacity magazines. 

1 minute ago, renoskier said:

Yes, but we have to start somewhere, otherwise in 20 years there will be even more in the hands of deranged folks.

Like I've said before, there's no real reason anyone "needs" high capacity magazines. 

Ok, so lets say the magazine holds 10 instead of, say, thirty or forty.  So, maybe he kills 5 people yesterday.  It's improvement given the loss of life, but the incident still happens.

Keep in mind, I'm a R leaning individual that doesn't own guns, and I very much see both sides of the argument.  What other laws are needed?  I just feel like there's nothing keeping this individual from doing what he did, even with current gun restrictions and laws.  Someone gave him a weapon to do this with.

20 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Ok, so lets say the magazine holds 10 instead of, say, thirty or forty.  So, maybe he kills 5 people yesterday.  It's improvement given the loss of life, but the incident still happens.

Keep in mind, I'm a R leaning individual that doesn't own guns, and I very much see both sides of the argument.  What other laws are needed?  I just feel like there's nothing keeping this individual from doing what he did, even with current gun restrictions and laws.  Someone gave him a weapon to do this with.

Yes, it's very sad but with so many guns in circulation,  I don't think there's much we can do to stop the shootings. However, I get frustrated when they say that any laws would only harm lawabiding citizens and do nothing to stop the carnage. If an AW/mag capacity law could lower the body count, and I believe it would, that would be worth it. It would certainly be worth it to the X number of families who didn't have to bury their children this week.

Apologies to my MWCBoarding friends who enjoy squeezing off 30-100 rounds in a matter of seconds but if I have to weigh  your jollies with the lives of Americans,  you're just going to have to reload.

8 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Yes, it's very sad but with so many guns in circulation,  I don't think there's much we can do to stop the shootings. However, I get frustrated when they say that any laws would only harm lawabiding citizens and do nothing to stop the carnage. If an AW/mag capacity law could lower the body count, and I believe it would, that would be worth it. It would certainly be worth it to the X number of families who didn't have to bury their children this week.

Apologies to my MWCBoarding friends who enjoy squeezing off 30-100 rounds in a matter of seconds but if I have to weigh  your jollies with the lives of Americans,  you're just going to have to reload.

I am with you on the laws part.  I'm ok if it takes people a few days longer to get a weapon legally.  I'm ok with a capacity law.  

I still think there's enough higher end magazines out there that make it a moot point.  I think there's enough guns out there that it won't matter.  I mean, I think laws will get passed eventually, and I think this will keep happening regardless.  

I am serious when I say, I truly don't know how we can change this aspect of our culture.

14 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Are you all forgetting Virginia Tech? Guy had two pistols and killed 32 people. https://www.cnn.com/2013/10/31/us/virginia-tech-shootings-fast-facts/index.html

What rifle or 30 round mag did he have? That guy had mental issues too, making suicide threats and being ordered by a judge to receive outpatient mental care. 

3 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

I don't a firearm, but I'm not opposed to responsible gun ownership.  Unfortunately, we are not civilized enough in this country to pull it off.  So a handful of gun owners have ruined it for everyone else.

If personally not owning a gun results in lives saved.  I'll choose that 10 times out of 10.  Other countries have pulled it off, we should learn from them.

While we're at it, following that logic, let's ban cars and cops too...

What isn't reported is how often gun ownership saves lives and property.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

3 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

That is Utah beer.... I think 50% water (by weight).

Common Sense laws, brother....

How big is the problem?

• From 2005-2014, there were an average of 3,536 fatal unintentional drownings (non-boating related) annually in the United States — about ten deaths per day.1 An additional 332 people died each year from drowning in boating-related incidents.2
  • About one in five people who die from drowning are children 14 and younger.1 For every child who dies from drowning, another five receive emergency department care for nonfatal submersion injuries.1
  • More than 50% of drowning victims treated in emergency departments (EDs) require hospitalization or transfer for further care (compared with a hospitalization rate of about 6% for all unintentional injuries).1,2 These nonfatal drowning injuries can cause severe brain damage that may result in long-term disabilities such as memory problems, learning disabilities, and permanent loss of basic functioning (e.g., permanent vegetative state).3,4

2 hours ago, happycamper said:

Have you been living on another planet? MADD, "drink responsibly" in every alcohol advertisement, steadily decreasing DUI limits, billboards and radio ads everywhere that talk about the consequences of drunk driving, high school education classes that are focused on alcohol, fraternities shut down due to initiation alcohol poisoning, police running stings on bars not IDing people...

I'd say that the "focus and sense of urgency" is firmly on the side of alcohol issues and not gun issues. 

Most alcohol-related deaths and mayhem are not a result of driving.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

And yet, "assault" weapons account for far fewer deaths than other guns...