Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Posturedoc

Bittersweet victory tonight, emphasis on bitter

3 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

I hate seeing any kids injured, but you're spot on about Drew. Big part of their team will now be on the bench. Hopefully he makes a full recovery and is back out there next year.

High basketball IQ.  And more than enough talent to go with it.  My hopes are he's 100% by this summer. 

11 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Not a Drew fan.  Really hope this is overblown though.  Drew and UNR have absolutely earned  the right to be considered the best of the MWC.  Would be good to see him back by tourney.

Why would you not be a Drew fan? He's a quiet kid and I've never seen anything controversial about his game at all. 

21 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

Why would you not be a Drew fan? He's a quiet kid and I've never seen anything controversial about his game at all. 

The best word to describe Drew: stoic. His calm demeanor is so rare for his generation. Nothing ra-ra or me-me about his game.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

Just now, battle.borne said:

The best word to describe Drew: stoic. His calm demeanor is so rare for his generation. Nothing ra-ra or me-me about his game.

Which is exactly why I find it curious to hear someone say that. The most likely answer is that Drew plays for Nevada and nothing more. :huh:

51 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

In the limited time I've watched him, he gets away with a lot.  I guess I should have said I'm not a fan of the refs being such a Drew fan.  Nothing personal towards Drew I guess.

1 minute ago, Headbutt said:

In the limited time I've watched him, he gets away with a lot.  I guess I should have said I'm not a fan of the refs being such a Drew fan.  Nothing personal towards Drew I guess.

What does he get away with? He hasn't been one to drive to the basket most of the time, though he can if he wants. When he does, I don't see him getting away with anything more than any other player. I think  you're just looking for something. 

Drew is averaging 8.1 points, 4.1 rebounds and 4.3 assists per game. He is fourth in the nation in assist-to-turnover rate and averages a block and steal per game while soaking up nearly 30 minutes a night. 

A very tough loss for the Wolfpack and the MWC come tournament time.  It's the nature of sport and does give an opportunity for someone else to step up.  Any idea which player(s) are going to absorb Drew's 30 minute average playing time?

5 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

A very tough loss for the Wolfpack and the MWC come tournament time.  It's the nature of sport and does give an opportunity for someone else to step up.  Any idea which player(s) are going to absorb Drew's 30 minute average playing time?

Hallice Cooke and Josh Hall. Foster could go from his 3/4 minutes a night to 8-10 too against lesser opponents. It get lost in the shuffle I’m sure but Fosters limited minutes in the 2nd half were huge last night. Big and 1 and his weakness and reason he hasn’t played as much, defense, (doesn’t fit as well with constant switching defensively) was strong with a block on a guard that he got switched onto

15 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Drew is averaging 8.1 points, 4.1 rebounds and 4.3 assists per game. He is fourth in the nation in assist-to-turnover rate and averages a block and steal per game while soaking up nearly 30 minutes a night. 

Hallice Cooke, who has started the past two games, will get more run, as will Josh Hall, the player Cooke replaced in the starting lineup. These two played the fewest minutes among the seven rotational players. I suspect the final player normally off he bench, Foster, will out of necessity get a few more minutes a game, but I doubt he sees a huge jump I. Minutes as he’s the weakest link in the “positionless” basketball philosophy Muss has fully adopted this year. One final player, former walk on Charlie Tooley, who is a newly-minted, Hough presumably short-lived scholarship player, could see the floor if fouls are a real issue. That was true before, but the Pack had five more fouls to work with before last night.  

4 minutes ago, Jaredcg said:

Hallice Cooke and Josh Hall. Foster could go from his 3/4 minutes a night to 8-10 too against lesser opponents. It get lost in the shuffle I’m sure but Fosters limited minutes in the 2nd half were huge last night. Big and 1 and his weakness and reason he hasn’t played as much, defense, (doesn’t fit as well with constant switching defensively) was strong with a block on a guard that he got switched onto

Pretty much exactly my thoughts, just three minutes faster. 

18 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

With no real bench to speak of it will just mean more time for guys who already play. Josh Hall will pick up significant minutes. He might be Nevada's most talented player, outside of Caleb, but he has not yet put it together consistently. He'll be the most important in terms of weathering Drew's injury. If he plays like he can, Nevada will be OK without Drew. Hallice Cooke will get more minutes, too. 

Elijah Foster will likely go from a few minutes here and there to significant minutes, I suspect. Because he is a natural 4 though, the game changes with him in it. They can't really play position-less, switching D as easily when he is on the floor. 

After that, it's the Charlie Tooley show:

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

With no real bench to speak of it will just mean more time for guys who already play. Josh Hall will pick up significant minutes. He might be Nevada's most talented player, outside of Caleb, but he has not yet put it together consistently. He'll be the most important in terms of weathering Drew's injury. If he plays like he can, Nevada will be OK without Drew. Hallice Cooke will get more minutes, too. 

Elijah Foster will likely go from a few minutes here and there to significant minutes, I suspect. Because he is a natural 4 though, the game changes with him in it. They can't really play position-less, switching D as easily when he is on the floor. 

After that, it's the Charlie Tooley show:

I had forgotten that Deverl Ramsey also played an important part in that game. Wish he was still with the Pack.