Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Headbutt

Rember the days of UNLV, SDSU, and UNM?

17 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

I don't care much about BBall, but yeah this Conference needs UNLV/SDSU/Lobos back at top form AND Nevada/Boise State to ALSO be looking to win the Conference to be where we should be.

Plus CSU/WYO/USU/Fresno even AFA have had really good teams before and will again.

I don't agree at all. As long as the MWC has good teams that 1) go on the road and win and 2) play well against top 50/top 100 teams, we'll have all the respect we need. We don't need any specific 3 teams to be successful, we just need and 3 teams to be successful. 

16 hours ago, kingpotato said:

It's better for the league when those schools are good. When Boise and UNR are at the top of the conference, unfortunately, it gets viewed as a down year for the league.

Only from a MW fan point of view.  

Nobody ( outside our footprint ) really cares about our 1 / 2 bid conference.  Plug in UNM or SAN Diego or Vegas.  Still nobody besides us cares.  Reno and Boise being good doesn't matter. Good for them, enjoy it while it's here.  

14 minutes ago, slappy said:

Only from a MW fan point of view.  

Nobody ( outside our footprint ) really cares about our 1 / 2 bid conference.  Plug in UNM or SAN Diego or Vegas.  Still nobody besides us cares.  Reno and Boise being good doesn't matter. Good for them, enjoy it while it's here.  

I agree with this and applies to Big West, WCC, and WAC as well.  Just enjoy playing who you can.  East of Mississippi there is almost no attention.  

10 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

PCAA and Big West. Before UNR could get there. 

And the WAC was a cup of coffee. Their loss. They could've had a national champion team. 

They did have a national champion team.  Golf!

The main thing is coaching and their staffs. You had Kruger, Fisher, and Alford in those days along with Dave Rose at BYU, Jeff Bzdelik at Air Force. Rat face at Wyoming. Utes had a rough go by replacing Majerus.

It was a Golden time for the league in football and Basketball. 

49 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

They've won one regular season conference championship since Tark. It was in 2000.

Notice I wrote outright? They shared that title. UNLV has never won an outright MWC championship. They are a founding member. 

4 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

The main thing is coaching and their staffs. You had Kruger, Fisher, and Alford in those days along with Dave Rose at BYU, Jeff Bzdelik at Air Force. Rat face at Wyoming. Utes had a rough go by replacing Majerus.

It was a Golden time for the league in football and Basketball. 

Can't replace TCU, Utah, BYU  with SJSU, USU, Fresno, Nevada and not take a hit.  Bigger schools with bigger budgets left.  I can see with the right group of coaches a 2-3 bid league, but i think that's the ceiling and it would have to take really good runs for 3 teams.  The thought of trying to get a Gonzaga or Wichita is intriguing for that reason, but just not feasible.  Still a solid league either way,  just not like before.

3 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Maybe Tubby Smith can slide over to Ole Miss.  why not just hire Penny Hardaway?  He would get players.

Because we have a coach with an NCAA title who’s taken three programs to the Sweet 16 and five programs to the NCAA tourney.

ask Houston how bringing back Clyde Drexler to be HC worked out.

you don’t hire someone to rebuild your program and fire them after a year and a half...that’s the problem with people today. They want instant results and refuse to build a program the right and honorable way.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

9 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

Because we have a coach with an NCAA title who’s taken three programs to the Sweet 16 and five programs to the NCAA tourney.

you don’t hire someone to rebuild your program and fire them after a year and a half...that’s the problem with people today. They want instant results and refuse to build a program the right and honorable way.

You have the same Dave Rice syndrome I had.  He’s a loser.  Memphis is getting worse.  They are beating out loser programs for players.  He couldn’t get great players to KENTUCKY!!!

11 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

You have the same Dave Rice syndrome I had.  He’s a loser.  Memphis is getting worse.  They are beating out loser programs for players.  He couldn’t get great players to KENTUCKY!!!

Rondo...Magloire...Tayshaun Prince...Michael Bradley.

I'd take any of those guys at Memphis.

moreover, Dave Rice got four full seasons to prove himself.

I mean, you call him a loser yet he has an NCAA title and has taken 3 programs to the Sweet 16. How many NCAA titles or Sweet 16s did Dave Rice get?

mem skyline sig.jpeg

11 minutes ago, sdsuphilip4 said:

Tubby Smith is a poor coach who used to be a very good coach, as the game has changed he hasn't adjusted and his coaching style takes on a toll for his team, they never should have hired him 

no, I think he never should have left Tech...why in the world did he take a rebuild job if he wasn't prepared to get out there and recruit? Look at Tech now, he could have sat back and propped up his feet at Tech to enjoy a good run and retire.

but I'm not an AD....I don't hire or fire...my job is to support my team so I do.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

13 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

no, I think he never should have left Tech...why in the world did he take a rebuild job if he wasn't prepared to get out there and recruit? Look at Tech now, he could have sat back and propped up his feet at Tech to enjoy a good run and retire.

but I'm not an AD....I don't hire or fire...my job is to support my team so I do.

He SHOULDN’T have left tech, he left Chris Beard with a ready made team full of upper classmen. 

The Lawler Events Center is literally a bad look for the MWC. I don't know what it is about the configuration of that place but on TV it might as well be the Anaheim Convention Center. It's a multi-purpose facility rather than a basketball arena, right? The excitement level on TV is not even in the same galaxy as the T&M, Viejas and whatever silly name UNM is calling its arena these days.

Boom goes the dynamite.

21 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

The Lawler Events Center is literally a bad look for the MWC. I don't know what it is about the configuration of that place but on TV it might as well be the Anaheim Convention Center. It's a multi-purpose facility rather than a basketball arena, right? The excitement level on TV is not even in the same galaxy as the T&M, Viejas and whatever silly name UNM is calling its arena these days.

I've not been to Viejas but I have been to other 3 arenas. When the buildings are full, all three are loud and have great atmosphere. Honestly, I was expecting more at the Thomas and Mack. I went to the Nevada, Washington game  in Seattle and I thought Lawlor wa a way better venue albeit the home crowd didn't have that much to cheer about.

29 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

No it was built for basketball. Other than an occasional concert or grad ceremony that’s all it’s used for. That brings up an interesting point though. I thought the end of Taco Bell was off with the huge tunnel taking up seating. Viejas always looks too dark to me. On tv it reminds me of Coors at Colorado. And finally the Pit which is one of the best venues in basketball but never seems that rowdy on TV? Which i know it is... to each their own I guess. 

35 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

IMO it has to many isles leading into the lower bowl and that’s why it doesn’t look great on TV.  Now I say this having been to zero other Mountain West areas so take it for the homer view it is, but the atmosphere inside can be and is quite spectacular at times.  Personally I’ve noticed a much more vocal crowd this time around than compared to the Nick Fazekas days.  Hell even Coach Rice said this after their loss in Reno.

“I was trying to take a timeout when Alex drove but it was just so loud and the guys didn’t hear me,” Rice said. “That’s life on the road”

2 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

In case you aren't aware, coaching doesn't matter. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."