Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Stay current on the

8 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

If you think things are violent now, just wait until you radical leftists try to revoke the Bill of Rights and confiscate private property. 

Don't you live in that dystopian post apocalyptic hell hole call England?

On the mental health discussions, every time there is one of these horrific shootings, which I completely understand and agree with by the way...

How would this work?  What would this look like?  For these school shootings, do peers and teachers start the process by referring a student to the counselor?  Then to school district admin?  Then to parents?  Then to law enforcement?  Then restrictions are placed on the kid for firearms, autos and such?  Then consideration for mandatory mental institution?

In my opinion and experience many adolescence go through some pretty heavy shyt while they're in JHS and HS. Many are experiencing and wrestling with emotions like they never have before.  This is normal and necessary in their emotional and mental development.  In hindsight, we are making judgements about the things said and done by these perps and concluding that based on that behavior it was obvious they had some serious mental disorder and we should have some sort of process like I questioned above to snag these kids before they commit these atrocities.

How many kids would be snagged in this process do you think?  Am I the only guy that believes we'd be dealing with millions of our youth?

So many of the proposed solutions are fine, hunky dory and all until you spend some time thinking about how to implement and the resources required to implement.  They're all daunting.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

24 minutes ago, mugtang said:

There is not a school shooting in this country every 3 Days and there have not been 18 school shootings this year.  That figure is pushed by EverytownUSA to deceive people into thinking the problem is worse than it actually is.  1 shooting at a school is too many. But 18 is an intentionally deceptive and misleading statistic.  See below for the list of what everytownusa considers school shootings.  I’ve bolded the ones that shouldn’t be included.  

This

9 hours ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

C. the NRA owns half of the republican party so no substantial gun restrictions will ever pass

It's as if people can't find facts for themselves instead of repeating misinformation.

NRA is an organization. Millions of members support said organization. Organizations lobby and NRA happens to support pro-gun candidates.

Labor Unions spent 1.7 Billion dollars lobbying in 2016...

According to the good ole Politifact..... NRA spent approximately $13 million on all candidates, parties, and leadership political action committees. Spent 144.3 million on "outside expenditures" (meaning tv ads and such on themselves.)

Then another 49 Million on lobbying....not in just the year 2016, but from 1998-2016.

203 million on political activities in 18 years.

Planned parenthood spent 33.9 million in 2012-2016. EmilysList another abortion group spent 33.2 million.    "THEM DAMN BABY KILLERS BUYING POLITICIANS!!!"

Damn that big bad NRA defending a constituional right! That mythical creature of power!

The NRA isn't a big bad man with a lot of money. It's millions of Americans who want to keep their 2nd amendment rights. Standing against a ton of emotionally wrecked people who clearly aren't thinking straight after events like these, are ignorant to facts when not in their favor and careless with their reactions.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

3 hours ago, AndroidAggie said:

I made this post on like page 9, @halfmanhalfbronco

I am not moving the goalposts. 

I am not underthinking this. 

I am suggesting scrutiny commensurate with action, speech, or behavior. The removal of 2nd amendment rights would be a final step after the end of the scrutiny based on the review, not the only result of that scrutiny 

I realize I can do a better job articulating my position but if you want to accuse me of not arguing in good faith, or not thinking it through, then I get to accuse you of making up your mind about what I was saying instead honestly trying to understand. 

Do that.  You are the one walking back his words he stated clearly as his argument fell apart.

20 minutes ago, mugtang said:

There is not a school shooting in this country every 3 Days and there have not been 18 school shootings this year.  That figure is pushed by EverytownUSA to deceive people into thinking the problem is worse than it actually is.  1 shooting at a school is too many. But 18 is an intentionally deceptive and misleading statistic.  See below for the list of what everytownusa considers school shootings.  I’ve bolded the ones that shouldn’t be included.  

Plus I think that is what most of us think of. As the term "school shooting" is a shooter with the intention of mass damage. So even those 10 aren't "school shootings" by our identifying standards.

Maybe only one other?

"Jan. 23: Marshall County High School in Benton, Kentucky

A 15-year-old boy opened fire inside the school, killing two and injuring 16."

All the others are traditional gun violence and have no relation with mass shootings.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

Good article published last year. It's a gun control "piece" but not overly emotional and addresses some of the realities of the constitution.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/10/the-real-common-sense-tactics-the-debate-is-missing/542229/

Was there one legal change that could have thwarted Stephen Paddock? Probably not. But the reason crimes like his are so common here, and so rare in western Europe, is not that we are afflicted with more Stephen Paddocks than they, but because their Stephen Paddocks find it so much more difficult to obtain guns, and especially large quantities of guns. It is not impossible there either of course. The jihadist terrorists who killed 130 people in November 2015 carried rifles, as did the Charlie Hebdo killers.

But a society is in a much better position to stop shooting deaths when it can tightly regulate the buying and carrying of weapons long before they are ever used to murder anybody. In all but a half dozen American states, it would be perfectly legal for people like the Charlie Hebdo killers to walk to the very front door of their targets with their rifles slung over their shoulders, lawful responsible gun owners to the very second before they opened fire on massed innocents.

On 2/14/2018 at 3:22 PM, UNLV2001 said:

Now if these had been fetuses, there would be an immediate outcry to make changes 

Only not by you, and those that think like you. See?  Hypocrisy Street is a 2-way street.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

10 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

That's because I saw you lurking in the "Recently Browsing" footer. I'm sure you didn't have time to post being that you were probably rubbing one off with all the talk about registrations, red flagging, monitoring, bans, and confiscations. This thread is right up your alley. 

If you think things are violent now, just wait until you radical leftists try to revoke the Bill of Rights and confiscate private property. 

While I appreciate your honesty Comrade fan, you shouldn't assume your master plan will go unopposed. 

If there are any rational board members in England, please assist BSU to the nearest NHS facility so he can renew his prescriptions for anti-psychotics.  He's obviously either out of them or refusing to take them again.

And do it soon, he's beginning to go full retard in this thread!

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

7 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

If there are any rational board members in England, please assist BSU to the nearest NHS facility so he can renew his prescriptions for anti-psychotics.  He's obviously either out of them or refusing to take them again.

And do it soon, he's beginning to go full retard in this thread!

So what are your thoughts on banning paving slabs?

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/teen-rapist-tried-kill-woman-paving-slab-17th-birthday-faces-jail-121134712.html

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

1 hour ago, pokebball said:

On the mental health discussions, every time there is one of these horrific shootings, which I completely understand and agree with by the way...

How would this work?  What would this look like?  For these school shootings, do peers and teachers start the process by referring a student to the counselor?  Then to school district admin?  Then to parents?  Then to law enforcement?  Then restrictions are placed on the kid for firearms, autos and such?  Then consideration for mandatory mental institution?

In my opinion and experience many adolescence go through some pretty heavy shyt while they're in JHS and HS. Many are experiencing and wrestling with emotions like they never have before.  This is normal and necessary in their emotional and mental development.  In hindsight, we are making judgements about the things said and done by these perps and concluding that based on that behavior it was obvious they had some serious mental disorder and we should have some sort of process like I questioned above to snag these kids before they commit these atrocities.

How many kids would be snagged in this process do you think?  Am I the only guy that believes we'd be dealing with millions of our youth?

So many of the proposed solutions are fine, hunky dory and all until you spend some time thinking about how to implement and the resources required to implement.  They're all daunting.

Read the news.  "Everybody" knew this guy was troubled.  Cops had been called to his house 39times. The FBI was notified of a You Tube post, he was expelled from school for disruptive behavior, he was under some sort of psychiatric care and had been prescribed some sort of drug which everyonewhoknowsanythingistotallysurehasnothingwhatsoevertodowiththis, all of his classmates had  him pegged as a mass shooter.  The signs were there, the societal will to treat mental illness isn't.  It's much easier to emote over an inert object for 25 seconds and move on.

One thing I've learned over the years is that people that are mentally ill, don't think they're mentally ill.  We are smart enough as a society to figure out an  advocate driven legal process that will allow for involuntary institutionalization of these obvious cases while protecting from abuse.  It won't be a perfect system but it will be better that no system.

I'd start with a study directed towards finding out what kind of poisons they are prescribing to our boys.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

30 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

:OT:

Cons are always trying to change the conversation when they don't like what they see/hear/read.

But going full retard is never good there, dude. 

I do find it ironic that someone who claims to be so concerned with "liberty" and "freedom" goes ape shit over the rights to possess a tool created to enforce authoritarian will and take life.

You value weapons over life!  Hilarious. 

That's one big reason why libertardians suck.

1 minute ago, Boise fan said:

:OT:

Cons are always trying to change the conversation when they don't like what they see/hear/read.

But going full retard is never good there, dude. 

I do find it ironic that someone who claims to be so concerned with "liberty" and "freedom" goes ape shit over the rights to possess a tool created to enforce authoritarian will and take life.

You value weapons over life!  Hilarious. 

That's one big reason why libertardians suck.

Could you please provide a full list of all the things you want to ban? Thanks! 

2 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Could you please provide a full list of all the things you want to ban? Thanks! 

Can you stay on topic, or are your panties in such a wad that you have no control? 

Mr. Anti-authoritarian trying to force the discussion in a strawman path.

:lol:

You're more of an authoritarian than I could ever be!

5 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

Can you stay on topic, or are your panties in such a wad that you have no control? 

Mr. Anti-authoritarian trying to force the discussion in a strawman path.

:lol:

You're more of an authoritarian than I could ever be!

Wait, I'm confused. How is asking for clarifications on all the things you want to ban authoritarian? I'm just trying to understand. 

9 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Wait, I'm confused. How is asking for clarifications on all the things you want to ban authoritarian? I'm just trying to understand. 

Yeah I would agree with your condition of being confused.  You attack one board member who didn't even post, then went full retard on others by trying desperately to redirect the subject to a strawman so you can what?  Feel empowered?  Express your great zeal of anti-authoritarianism by advocating rights to have the most common weapon used to push authoritarian will? 

And now you generalize about "all the things [you] want to ban" to try and push the strawman angle once more.

Your confusion is plain for all to see.

Go to NHS.  Get some meds!

12 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Once the kiddies clear the birth canal, who cares what happens 

God dammit! Let's just cut to the chase. These people just shouldn't be having SEX! 

Sex is reserved for married Christian folk. If we outlaw abortion, they'll have to stop!

7 minutes ago, renoskier said:

God dammit! Let's just cut to the chase. These people just shouldn't be having SEX! 

Sex is reserved for married Christian folk. If we outlaw abortion, they'll have to stop!

In honor of that fine example of staunch christian & abstinence advocate, calling herself "Ambassador for Abstinence"  - Bristol Palin...........announced her second unplanned pregnancy :blink:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/06/bristol-palin-says-abstin_n_197597.html

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2015/06/bristol-palin-pregnant

Below is a photo of the AMBASSADOR OF ABSTINENCE who's now had TWO unplanned pregnancies !!! 

bristol-palin-pregnant.jpg

And her dear mother's unwavering support of ABSTINENCE 

image.jpeg

11 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

There you go.

lol. nothing i said is inaccurate in any way and nothing i said reflects any sort of authoritarian mindset.

Do you find it acceptable that we as a country have an extremely disproportionate amount of mass shootings? 

Do you think that the current political landscape is in any way conducive to any kind of reform given that Congress has failed to do so for the past 6 years, largely as a result of republicans and red state democrats blocking every single attempt ranging from expanded background checks to merely closing the "boyfriend loophole" that allows domestic abusers to possess firearms so long as they are not legally married to their victims?

Do you think any self-respecting republican would vote for an increase in public health spending?  Would they vote for spending bills allocating money to healthcare subsidies, outreach programs, advertising of said programs given that Trump slashed the ACA advertising budget by 90% recently?

These are all yes or no questions.  Simple as it gets.

btw, democrats suck too. But they suck more out of pure incompetence and an unwillingness to play the political game with the same ruthlessness that has given the republican party control of both houses of congress and the presidency.