Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

ESPN host calls on Notre Dame to drop racist mascot

10 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

Nice looking pin, but "GO Large Breasted Woman w/ Wings & a Harp Growing from Their Back!!!" is a bit wordy to shout during a f'ball game.

Hence the reason they’re called the “Fighting Irish”. 

Union.jpg.6989c32e721d578d3952602294d1af90.jpgCampus500x283.jpg.208ead7433af78ce44bb775b8561f0c7.jpg

Snowies.jpg.8548e47a8f188d64d1a93ecde4744b11.jpgIMG_1401.JPG.cfa8ec5eeb3ac75f090d8d5e59dd0805.JPG

For those of you interested:

WHAT’S IN A NAME?

“The Fighting Irish nickname was first coined for the Irish immigrant soldiers who fought for the Union during the Civil War in what became called the Irish Brigade, including three regiments from New York. Their valor was later memorialized in the poetry of Joyce Kilmer. That’s also the Irish way: Ireland’s poetry is often better than its fighting, turning defeat into eternal glory. The University has a valid claim to the nickname because the brigade’s beloved chaplain was Rev. William Corby, C.S.C., who later became the third president of Notre Dame.”

https://www.nd.edu/features/whats-in-a-name/

Union.jpg.6989c32e721d578d3952602294d1af90.jpgCampus500x283.jpg.208ead7433af78ce44bb775b8561f0c7.jpg

Snowies.jpg.8548e47a8f188d64d1a93ecde4744b11.jpgIMG_1401.JPG.cfa8ec5eeb3ac75f090d8d5e59dd0805.JPG

21 minutes ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

For those of you interested:

WHAT’S IN A NAME?

“The Fighting Irish nickname was first coined for the Irish immigrant soldiers who fought for the Union during the Civil War in what became called the Irish Brigade, including three regiments from New York. Their valor was later memorialized in the poetry of Joyce Kilmer. That’s also the Irish way: Ireland’s poetry is often better than its fighting, turning defeat into eternal glory. The University has a valid claim to the nickname because the brigade’s beloved chaplain was Rev. William Corby, C.S.C., who later became the third president of Notre Dame.”

https://www.nd.edu/features/whats-in-a-name/

Didn't I post this already yesterday???

7 hours ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

Hence the reason they’re called the “Fighting Irish”. 

What would we do w/out you?  You have such an amazing command of the obvious!

3 hours ago, slappy said:

Stop with the ( I am Irish ) - CSU connection already.  You expect me to believe the two biggest pansies from hippi state are Irish.  Bull Shit. 

I don't think you're sharp enough to know what to believe, so no.  I have no expectations.

I'm Irish. Phuck you.

You misspelled hippie.  Just sayin'.  Maybe a semester in Boise could help.LikeL

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

@#1Stunner - Were there any Mormon brigades in the civil war? I know you love promoting propaganda against other religious schools. Curious on your take!!

You're dumb.  

6 hours ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

What would “be” do without me?

In your case probably go smoke a bowl or two on Jefferson Street Park.

Make the "b" a "w" Einstein.

Never heard of Jeff St Prk.  

5 hours ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

So were there any Irish Mormon brigades in the civil war? I was just wondering?

Weren't the Mormons & all their wives running from/fighting the US Gov't too back then???

On 2/14/2018 at 9:10 PM, UTAlrightGuy said:

I think this is dumb but people can't.... well, shouldn't be able to have their cake and eat it too. If you're going to make a big stink about all the other people mascots, Norte Dame should be up for grabs too. The only reason it isn't is because it's a white mascot. 

Fighting Irish... fighting is a huge stereotype. 

A leprechaun as a stand in for an Irish person. 

Dressed in green with his hands up?

The only thing that it needs is a whiskey bottle in one hand, a baby on the floor and a wife with a black eye. 

This is what offends me...the fact that this stuff is left out of the logo. Short-changed on this transaction...as a Mick, I am offended.

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

A Catholic university with a significant number of Irish students/faculty/alumni calling themselves the fighting Irish is not the same thing as a university founded by men who killed hundreds of thousands of "indians" and then choosing the name "indians" as their mascot - ie. Stanford University.

Yes, it is the case that at the time of Notre Dame's founding and through out the Irish Catholic immigrant experience in the nineteenth century very deplorable and racist things were done by "Americans" who scapegoated them.  Notre Dame's independent football legacy is precisely because the other big universities wouldn't play them for many years.

It's a big difference to chose the name as opposed to appropriating the name.  It's not even a left thing; remember when right wing twitter all changed their names to deplorable ____ ?