Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

ESPN host calls on Notre Dame to drop racist mascot

I think this is dumb but people can't.... well, shouldn't be able to have their cake and eat it too. If you're going to make a big stink about all the other people mascots, Norte Dame should be up for grabs too. The only reason it isn't is because it's a white mascot. 

Fighting Irish... fighting is a huge stereotype. 

A leprechaun as a stand in for an Irish person. 

Dressed in green with his hands up?

The only thing that it needs is a whiskey bottle in one hand, a baby on the floor and a wife with a black eye. 

In the end it just doesn't matter because my university will get whatever it wants and be on the inside on any incarnation of whatever conference it chooses and whatever incarnation of the NCAA or BCS that arises. Our ego only got bigger with the Pac-10, SEC and Big 10 trying to get us to join their conference.

Look, why don't you just be quiet before my university buys yours and closes it just for spite?

22 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Will Fighting Irish now ban its nickname? ESPN host claims Notre Dame should follow Cleveland Indians and do away with 'racist' logo

• ESPN host Max Kellerman ignited backlash on social media on Tuesday
  • Kellerman said the University of Notre Dame should change its nickname
  • The school's sports teams are known as the Fighting Irish
  • Kellerman said that the use of the mascot is offensive to Irish Americans
  • The ESPN host cited the Indians' decision to do away with its Chief Wahoo logo 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5332969/Should-Notre-Dame-ban-Fighting-Irish-nickname.html

image.jpeg.4de6776e89edc68f4b798c1ef015800e.jpeg

Literally nobody in the Irish world finds the mascot offensive. SHUT UP MAX

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

15 hours ago, UTAlrightGuy said:

I think this is dumb but people can't.... well, shouldn't be able to have their cake and eat it too. If you're going to make a big stink about all the other people mascots, Norte Dame should be up for grabs too. The only reason it isn't is because it's a white mascot. 

Fighting Irish... fighting is a huge stereotype. 

A leprechaun as a stand in for an Irish person. 

Dressed in green with his hands up?

The only thing that it needs is a whiskey bottle in one hand, a baby on the floor and a wife with a black eye. 

Now that you mention it my neighbor of Irish decent does look a little like a leprechaun.  I never noticed until you pointed it out.  I think I'll start persecuting him tomorrow.  Thanks for the heads up.  I dont know why I didn't make that conection before.  Especially after the hundreds of Notre Dame games I've watched over the years.

28 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Now that you mention it my neighbor of Irish decent does look a little like a leprechaun.  I never noticed until you pointed it out.  I think I'll start persecuting him tomorrow.  Thanks for the heads up.  I dont know why I didn't make that conection before.  Especially after the hundreds of Notre Dame games I've watched over the years.

I wouldn’t expect anything less from a fan of a mascot that stole land from natives, murdered them, raped their children, abused horses, cows and sheep, and celebrate violence and guns.

It’s easy to get offended.

In the end it just doesn't matter because my university will get whatever it wants and be on the inside on any incarnation of whatever conference it chooses and whatever incarnation of the NCAA or BCS that arises. Our ego only got bigger with the Pac-10, SEC and Big 10 trying to get us to join their conference.

Look, why don't you just be quiet before my university buys yours and closes it just for spite?

3 hours ago, AztecSU said:

Never knew that it was really a reference to Irish Union Soldiers from the civil war. Seems like using a leprechaun is disrespectful to the memory of those men, regardless of any race implications.

What other mascot do you propose to represent the Irish Union Soldiers Irish heritage?  

Both my grandmothers were 100%-Irish & I'm not insulted by the Leprechaun.

Guest #1Stunner
3 hours ago, AztecSU said:

Never knew that it was really a reference to Irish Union Soldiers from the civil war. Seems like using a leprechaun is disrespectful to the memory of those men, regardless of any race implications.

14 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

What other mascot do you propose to represent the Irish Union Soldiers Irish heritage?  

Most college and professional mascots are caricatures, and play to stereotypes....  It's what makes them fun.

I've never met a real person that found ND's mascot to be offensive.  In fact, most Irish ancestry people I know love it, and love that it is a leprechaun in a fighting stance.  It's a symbol to celebrate being Irish.

I've also had native friends that wore Chicago Black Hawks gear and Cleveland Indians gear....  they liked that Cleveland's was a caricature (they don't speak for everyone, of course).  I don't know about the Washington Redskins.

I am completely baffled that some SDSU students find the Aztecs mascot offensive and hurtful.   It is a cool mascot---I'm not sure why they don't like a Warrior.  It is the same as something like Hawaii's mascot, in Aztec Warrior form.  I don't understand why it could possibly be offensive.

Then there is a guy like Harry Reid, that was trying to argue that UNLV's mascot is racist.   Sometimes the Democrats go too far....

Guest #1Stunner

The WCC has more caricature mascots (based on ethnic groups) than most other conferences I've seen.

SF Dons (a Spaniard, Zorro type guy):

9468b845e24a5e91059ccf0b7d664b1f.jpg

Saint Mary's Geals (Irish, like gaelic)

CdFI1BAW8AAMg34.jpg

USD Toreros (spanish bullfighter)

usd-15-torero-defined-top.jpg

Pepperdine Waves (not sure how, but this might be racist)

47.jpg

Portland Pilots (riverboat pilot---maybe racist towards swarthy males?)

the-portland-pilots-mascot-entertains-th

Guest #1Stunner

Some people have called the Utes mascot racist, because of what the Ute fans do (dress up in costumes).  I guess wearing feathered headdresses can be offensive.

But the Ute tribe is ok with it, I believe.

A school can't control all of its fans.

IGmCXaMgBhbpNMN-556x313-noPad.jpg

1 hour ago, GoState99755 said:

Stop with the ( I am Irish ) - CSU connection already.  You expect me to believe the two biggest pansies from hippi state are Irish.  Bull Shit. 

6 hours ago, UTAlrightGuy said:

I wouldn’t expect anything less from a fan of a mascot that stole land from natives, murdered them, raped their children, abused horses, cows and sheep, and celebrate violence and guns.

It’s easy to get offended.

Should have seen what they did to longhorns.

The atrocities!!!!

Union.jpg.6989c32e721d578d3952602294d1af90.jpgCampus500x283.jpg.208ead7433af78ce44bb775b8561f0c7.jpg

Snowies.jpg.8548e47a8f188d64d1a93ecde4744b11.jpgIMG_1401.JPG.cfa8ec5eeb3ac75f090d8d5e59dd0805.JPG

18 minutes ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

Should have seen what they did to longhorns.

The atrocities!!!!

That’s why I’m so pissed.

2 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

Brigade? I think they can call themselves whatever they want since it was majority Irish folks who selected the mascot anyway. But since this was my first time learning about the Civil War connection I decided to look up a few images. Pretty cool. And no I don't think they should change from the fighting Irish. 

s-l1000.jpg (1000×750)

This is the symbol of the Irish Brigade which was the 69th Regiment during the Civil War. The Fighting 69th, out of New York was heavily made up of Irishmen. This symbol, with it's American and Irish symbols, its eagle and its shamrocks, features two Irish Wolfhounds rampant, and beneath all,  on the scroll, is the motto of the 69th Regiment : "Gentle when stroked, fierce when provoked."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Brigade_(Union_Army)

1 hour ago, AztecSU said:

Brigade? I think they can call themselves whatever they want since it was majority Irish folks who selected the mascot anyway. But since this was my first time learning about the Civil War connection I decided to look up a few images. Pretty cool. And no I don't think they should change from the fighting Irish. 

s-l1000.jpg (1000×750)

Nice looking pin, but "GO Large Breasted Woman w/ Wings & a Harp Growing from Their Back!!!" is a bit wordy to shout during a f'ball game.