Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rudolro

Trump gas Tax

This is great. Like we don't pay enough taxes already here Ca. Trump wants to add another .25 per gal. Just enough to get rid of the extra $20 a week people are enjoying. 

https://www.axios.com/trump-endorsed-25-cent-gas-tax-hike-1518638785-7554ca1b-6111-4276-b6e5-b42929e0b453.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=twsocialshare&utm_campaign=organic

Well, if we want to improve infrastructure it makes sense to tax the people who use it. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Well, if we want to improve infrastructure it makes sense to tax the people who use it. 

I don't disagree with you, but it doesn't surprise me that, after a massive tax cut for the rich, Trump would go after needed revenue in the least progressive way possible. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

8 minutes ago, mugtang said:

We already are.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-sac-california-gas-tax-vote-20170406-story.html

And follow up article

http://www.latimes.com/politics/essential/la-pol-ca-essential-politics-updates-california-s-increased-gas-tax-goes-into-1509552219-htmlstory.html

16 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Let's start with taxing the shipping trucks that travel all over and create extra wear and tear on the roads.

One of the Final Five..........

11 minutes ago, rudolro said:

You should audit where that money actually goes. Driving in SOCAL is brutal. Potholes everywhere. 

28 minutes ago, mysfit said:

Let's start with taxing the shipping trucks that travel all over and create extra wear and tear on the roads.

You’ll get no disagreement from me. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

33 minutes ago, mysfit said:

That's fair but the costs will get passed on to the consumer so we pay directly or indirectly.

1 minute ago, NorCalCoug said:

Gas is actually pretty cheap here in the US.  When I lived in South America years ago it was more expensive than what we pay here today.

Gas is very inexpensive here. I'm surprised no one started a thread about Trump's big $1.5 trillion infrastructure plan rolled out a few days ago. Of course, the actual amount was $200 billion from the federal coffers; the rest will be made up by the states. The first place states are going to look is the gas tax, which makes sense. Those who use the roads the most, bear most of the expense.

The funding ratio is suppose to flip from 80% Fed $ / 20% state $ to 20 fed / 80 state. Immediately, I wondered how "red" states are going to fare under this proposal. If states are going to get any project completed, they're going to have to raise new revenue. I just don't know how possible that is in many of the deep red no tax states.

5 minutes ago, renoskier said:

And you're in Oregon. How the hell is this going to go over in Alabama?

And it wasn't even that close. I imagine the fine people of Alabama will not be appreciative.

All that said, every time I hit a pothole now I instinctually MF all those who voted no. 

23 hours ago, pokerider said:

I'm completely against adding more than about 5 cents to the gas tax.   Thats the last tax I want to see increased.  

Then buy a hybrid or an all electric car.  

On 2/14/2018 at 12:49 PM, mysfit said:

It will just role down hill with the net effect being more expensive food for the most vulnerable. You always pass on your costs to net a profit if you want to stay in business. 

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 12:49 PM, rudolro said:

You need to realize the State of California is one of the most corrupt.  Tax funds created via increases via the ballot get raided to feed essential services (social services).  Even Fresno Sheriff Margaret Mims said so, her department is technically discretionary spending. 

I quick scan of today's gas prices:

Denver ~ $2.25

Salt Lake $2.30

Phoenix $2.15

Houston $2.00

Fresno & Modesto $3.10

Where I work in Bay area $3.25

Our CA legislature is flipping us the bird to the tune of $1.00 / gallon.  I take multiple trips across the country each year so I see the gas price terrace going down as I travel across Nevada.  Just wait until they start taxing us by the mile. 

Another example, when I go on vacation a month, my electric bill is $80 / month with stuff shut off.  My Midwest cabin is $20 / month when empty, $25 / month when the furnace is on.  Add to that, sky high sales & income taxes, Utility Users Taxes and other charges tacked on to your utility bills.

110926run_defense710.jpg