Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

Trump Fatigue

On 2/14/2018 at 10:45 AM, renoskier said:

I saw him yesterday at his and Michelle's National Gallery of Art portrait unveiling; a short entertaining speech. Funny and a little self deprecating, certainly not what we would hear from Mr. Trump.

BTW, I kinda liked his portrait, not so much for Michelle's.

Both portraits were different.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

On 2/14/2018 at 3:26 PM, Rebelbacker said:

This is so true.

We get the government that we accept. That's why I wish more people were upset about the abuses we see daily from both parties.

We are at the point where each side blindly excuses their side but rips the other side silly.

3 hours ago, pokebball said:

We all are, You too

I don’t pretend to look at the parties equally. The Democratic Party frequently disappoints me, but I view the GOP differently. Trump is a vulgar buffoon whom I could not loathe more. To me the vast majority of Republicans, and particularly their Congressional leaders, are despicable cowards for hitching themselves to his coattails. He is a cancer that is eroding our institutions and they know it, but keep quiet because their party is in power. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

3 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I don’t pretend to look at the parties equally. The Democratic Party frequently disappoints me, but I view the GOP differently. Trump is a vulgar buffoon whom I could not loathe more. To me the vast majority of Republicans, and particularly their Congressional leaders, are despicable cowards for hitching themselves to his coattails. He is a cancer that is eroding our institutions and they know it, but keep quiet because their party is in power. 

atta boy

Curious, how is he eroding institutions?

52 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

Curious, how is he eroding institutions?

Putting forward unqualified judges. Appointing Agency and Department heads whose primary objective is the destruction of the entity they’ve been appointed to lead. Trying to undermine federal law enforcement. His unwillingness to acknowledge that there is a threat to our electoral process that can't be addressed without leadership. Above all, he’s undermining respect for the Presidency in the long term IMO. 

1 hour ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Putting forward unqualified judges. Appointing Agency and Department heads whose primary objective is the destruction of the entity they’ve been appointed to lead. Trying to undermine federal law enforcement. His unwillingness to acknowledge that there is a threat to our electoral process that can't be addressed without leadership. Above all, he’s undermining respect for the Presidency in the long term IMO. 

Not trying to be argumentative but other presidents have done that as well. Obama appointed the Wyoming governors wife to a federal judgeship she wasn't qualified for after he gave him his super delegate vote against clinton. The head of nasa wasn't qualified under Obama. Bush appointed several unqualified judges and agency heads. Etc..

17 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

Not trying to be argumentative but other presidents have done that as well. Obama appointed the Wyoming governors wife to a federal judgeship she wasn't qualified for after he gave him his super delegate vote against clinton. The head of nasa wasn't qualified under Obama. Bush appointed several unqualified judges and agency heads. Etc..

Well I don't recall him appointing agency heads who set out to wreck the agency/department they were appointed to. Can you think of an appointment of his that really is qualified and he leaves alone to do their job? Pruitt I suppose, although there won't be much left at EPA in his wake. I don't know much about the Interior guy. DeVos? My God what a terrible pick. Carson? Look, I admit I hate the guy's guts, and I see things in that light. In the end I think it's the office itself he's damaging most. Stuff that would have brought down any previous Administration just becomes a lead story for a news cycle then it's on to the next thing. I think this Presidency is changing our politics forever, and not for the better. I don't know, maybe it's we that are changing, and he's just the reflection of that. 

17 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

Sure...but no one has done it on the scope of Trump.  Dude is a cancer on the nation.

Well I don't recall him appointing agency heads who set out to wreck the agency/department they were appointed to. Can you think of an appointment of his that really is qualified and he leaves alone to do their job? Pruitt I suppose, although there won't be much left at EPA in his wake. I don't know much about the Interior guy. DeVos? My God what a terrible pick. Carson? Look, I admit I hate the guy's guts, and I see things in that light. In the end I think it's the office itself he's damaging most. Stuff that would have brought down any previous Administration just becomes a lead story for a news cycle then it's on to the next thing. I think this Presidency is changing our politics forever, and not for the better. I don't know, maybe it's we that are changing, and he's just the reflection of that. 

Mattis and tillerson seem qualified. I guess for me, I haven't had respect for the office of the President since the first Bush. Not that he was great, but it just became apparent how corrupt they are....

I don't even watch the news, or really read it.

Hell can barely get on twitter anymore. Invaded the sports world.

Social media will be the end of us all. It's the real cancer.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

Just now, BestintheWest said:

I don't even watch the news, or really read it.

Hell can barely get on twitter anymore. Invaded the sports world.

Social media will be the end of us all. It's the real cancer.

It’s the new normal. We’ll adapt, hopefully.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

7 hours ago, HR_Poke said:

Mattis and tillerson seem qualified. I guess for me, I haven't had respect for the office of the President since the first Bush. Not that he was great, but it just became apparent how corrupt they are....

Tillerson as an individual yes, but he is also allowing (or promoting) the DOS to gradually dissolve through attrition. I guess I’m not quite as cynical as you about the recent Presidents. I admit it could be a generational thing...

12 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Tillerson as an individual yes, but he is also allowing (or promoting) the DOS to gradually dissolve through attrition. I guess I’m not quite as cynical as you about the recent Presidents. I admit it could be a generational thing...

I hope not. Cynicism is a cancer and its growth has allowed Trump, another cancer, to thrive.

14 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I haven't kept up, but I remember tillerson was trying to replace the attrition but Trumps staff was blocking most of his replacements due to political retaliation.

I'm more cynical simply because we find out more now about the shady things each administration does so they have political ammo for re-election. 

2 hours ago, NVGiant said:

I hope not. Cynicism is a cancer and its growth has allowed Trump, another cancer, to thrive.

I don't know about that. People have been cynical of politicians since the inception of the concept. When you have to be a liar to run for office everyone is cynical.

1 hour ago, HR_Poke said:

I don't know about that. People have been cynical of politicians since the inception of the concept. When you have to be a liar to run for office everyone is cynical.

People confuse skepticism with cynicism. Cynicism is on the rise. Skepticism is on the decline. 

On 2/14/2018 at 9:36 AM, NorCalCoug said:

I disagreed with his politics but he was a good person (well, at least as far as I know and for a career politician that is) - Biden as well.  

I’d say the same thing about Bush.  Disagreed with his politics and certainly think he wasn’t fully honest in getting us into Iraq but seems like overall a decent person. 

Trump just disgusts me and I rarely bother looking at news on either side anymore.  He can’t say or do anything that would make me think less of him as a person.  He’s hit rock bottom so why bother.  

On 2/17/2018 at 1:21 PM, Old_SD_Dude said:

Not all.  Jeff Flack should run as an independent.  The man has a conscience. Too bad he’s leaving.