Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

Trump Fatigue

I and most all of my friends are aged 35-45.  We're established in our lives/careers and checking out on politics more and more by the day.   In my opinion the most damaging outcome of our political discourse these days is the apathy it is creating in our society.  Trump is perhaps the most visceral and loudest at the moment but many politicians in the recent past and present are adding to it daily.  Democracy doesn't fare well when citizens are not involved.

44 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

I and most all of my friends are aged 35-45.  We're established in our lives/careers and checking out on politics more and more by the day.   In my opinion the most damaging outcome of our political discourse these days is the apathy it is creating in our society.  Trump is perhaps the most visceral and loudest at the moment but many politicians in the recent past and present are adding to it daily.  Democracy doesn't fare well when citizens are not involved.

This is so true.

We get the government that we accept. That's why I wish more people were upset about the abuses we see daily from both parties.

5 hours ago, mysfit said:

Trump is just the symptom of a much larger issue. The deep division in values and priorities. The fatigue comes from a disappointing revelation that our society and this country has all been a sham and not what we all thought it was. A shallow illusion. 

Nothing exceptional. Or noble. Or moral.

Just a veneer over human greed, hate and intolerance.  That's what the fatigue is really about, facing the disillusionment.

This to me indicates a critical lack of perspective. Do yourself a favor, travel a little.  Also, try and read a little (or a lot) of history. 

You have no idea...NONE... of how lucky you are to alive in this time and place.  You represent the  the top .000001% of all the humans that have ever existed in terms of wealth and freedom from deprivation of all manner.  To state that there is nothing exceptional, noble or moral about the United State is profoundly misguided.

I'll tell you what, come down  San Diego some time.  I'll be glad to take you on a tour just 20 minutes south so you can see for yourself the difference a line on a map makes to the welfare of the citizenry.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

21 minutes ago, Rebelbacker said:

This is so true.

We get the government that we accept. That's why I wish more people were upset about the abuses we see daily from both parties.

You pay lip service to being upset about abuses by both parties, but in practice you are completely one-sided in your identification of said abuse.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

13 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I'm not sure if anyone else is feeling this way but I've come down with a serious case of Trump fatigue. I think this has come about due to the nonstop rhetoric from both extremes, whether it be Trump made out to be a superhero savior that's going to restore order to the galaxy or him being a nazi anitchrist who will undoubtedly bring about the end of the human race. Regardless if it be on the MWCBoard, Facebook, the media, or the table next to me at the restaurant, it just seems as if every single day there is some polarizing conversation about something this clown has said or done. Even here in the UK, he makes headlines as often as Theresa May and Brexit. 

As a result, I've pretty much become numb to it all. Anymore, if he were to either come up with a miracle cure for multiple cancers or molest a paraplegic child, the news probably wouldn't excite or anger me as much as it normally would. I'm simply exhausted by it and I'd be willing to bet I'm not alone ... which is probably the exact opposite of what the propagandists want. Whenever his image comes up on the TV, I just turn the channel.

Anyway, just my personal rant of the day. 

Don't you think it miiiiight have something to do with hanging out in OT, the land of Trump Derangement Syndrome? You guys get yourselves into a frenzy and fatigue yourselves.

kat.jpg

Just now, Old_SD_Dude said:

You pay lip service to being upset about abuses by both parties, but in practice you are completely one-sided in your identification of said abuse.

Just today I commented on what a joke the new budget is. Even linking an article on how stupid it is. 

Rarely, if ever, have I seen you call out a dem politician or policy. But keep harping on me. 

3 minutes ago, Rebelbacker said:

Just today I commented on what a joke the new budget is. Even linking an article on how stupid it is. 

Rarely, if ever, have I seen you call out a dem politician or policy. But keep harping on me. 

I don't think he ever has. I've never seen it. That is what you call a hopeless partisan. 

kat.jpg

Healthy detachment is a way of coping with Gaslighting. I think what is being described is a healthy coping mechanism for what we are experiencing daily...

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/mar/16/gaslighting-manipulation-reality-coping-mechanisms-trump

"Detaching from the gaslighting does not mean total detachment. It means distinguishing between the world of the gaslighter and the real world.

“Someone can try to gaslight you and once you can identify what’s going on, you can begin to turn off the gaslighting and heal,” Stern says. She points out that often people are willing to give up their reality in favor of hanging on to a relationship rather than rupturing it."

10 hours ago, Jackrabbit said:

Not seen much on the Trump super hero side.   I honestly believe he thinks that constantly stirring up shit all the time is some sort of strategy.    His opposition really still has no issues to run on except hate and folks are tiring of it. 

I think he's more narcissistic than strategic. 

It is kind of interesting as groups of people we do better when we have someone or something to hate.  The country prospered when we hated the Russians,  the Mountain West was solid and on the rise when we had BYU to hate.  Maybe we all just need a common enemy to be a cohesive unit.

15 hours ago, nashvillepoke said:

It is kind of interesting as groups of people we do better when we have someone or something to hate.  The country prospered when we hated the Russians,  the Mountain West was solid and on the rise when we had BYU to hate.  Maybe we all just need a common enemy to be a cohesive unit.

This is true, but it seems that part of living in the "information age" is that the world is more nuanced now and mass manipulation is both easier and harder (easier on a small scale, harder on a large scale). With the flood of information from multiple sides, it is harder to establish black and white views. This is compounded by the lack of an authoritative source to strongly sway popular opinion since the distrust of the government, and authority in general, post WWII.

Or maybe the issue is just that conventional Nation vs. Nation wars are not really done since we dropped the bomb on Japan. In the absence of firm structure to the identity of an enemy, it is hard to frame an "us vs them" view.

19 hours ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

I'm in your age group, and that's how I feel.  I know I harp on this frequently, but I worry more about unfunded future liabilities.  The consumption of goods and services has to decrease or we're going to be in a lot of trouble.  Obama nor Trump has helped our problem with this.  The trillions owed as a national debt, the deficit spending, the kicking the can down the street for the next generation to deal with.  All the things I despise the baby boomers for doing, we're currently doing.  I understand it might be hard times while we get our finances in order, but we cannot persist in this continual consumption of goods and services as a country.  Programs need to be cut, defense needs to be cut ten percent per year for 20 years, and then capped.  If taxes are raised, cuts need to be made so we are attacking it from both sides.  

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

On 2/14/2018 at 10:31 AM, Old_SD_Dude said:

Pearls before swine.

On 2/14/2018 at 11:05 AM, happycamper said:

Just because you don't understand the answers doesn't mean that they aren't there. 

You guys are perhaps the best example of those who have completely lost sense of real issues because of hatred.  I am far from being all in for Trump but the man you guys call a moron figured out how to be president.  He beat the  system, beat Hillary, and beat 2 political parties.  He has now stolen the Dems only platform.   90% of his opposition cant see thru their hate to come up with a coherent issue, For example the Dems do not own immigration reform anymore.   He has showed the "Resistance" is nothing but hatred so deep, they are willing to hurt migrants   Yeah man...the dude is a moron for sure. 

All you can do is team up with those who cant think or analyze anymore, say snarky shit when you are confronted with difficult issues.  The Russians are f'n laughing at us.   Go get your shit together, our country needs people who can think.

On 2/14/2018 at 9:34 AM, mysfit said:

Trump is just the symptom of a much larger issue. The deep division in values and priorities. The fatigue comes from a disappointing revelation that our society and this country has all been a sham and not what we all thought it was. A shallow illusion. 

Nothing exceptional. Or noble. Or moral.

Just a veneer over human greed, hate and intolerance.  That's what the fatigue is really about, facing the disillusionment.

Explain the "division in values" statement.  I'm interested in who you think has the high ground.  It's unfortunate that I feel this way, but I don't see a whole lotta high ground.

The World Needs More Cowboys!