Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modestobulldog

Trump wants to make cuts to food stamp (SNAP) - awesome good thing

1 hour ago, NorCalCoug said:

Good... more cuts!  Only downside I see is that defense spending needs drastic cuts too.  Any cuts that happen today will seem like a walk in the park compared to the ones coming if the folks in DC don’t address ballooning deficits and debt.

Yay! Cuts for programs that actually do something for the American people, while we increase spending on nuclear weapons that don' do shit for everyone. +++++ing idiotic "conservative" bullshit... 

14 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Yay! Cuts for programs that actually do something for the American people, while we increase spending on nuclear weapons that don' do shit for everyone. +++++ing idiotic "conservative" bullshit... 

Read again...  preferably with your good eye next time.

v0icAvfW.jpg

59 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

Tax cuts for the wealthy, while cutting food stamps for the poor.  That's the spirt!

Better nutrition for the poor, but at a lower cost.  Good deal for the poor, good deal for the taxpayer.

110926run_defense710.jpg

7 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Better nutrition for the poor, but at a lower cost.  Good deal for the poor, good deal for the taxpayer.

How is it "...at a lower cost," when you have to build the infrastructure for distribution?  The food stamp model uses pre-existing infrastructure.

7 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Government food distribution will be more effective  and save money? On what planet?

Their argument is that they can buy the food in bulk at wholesale cost vs giving money on ebt cards that people buy items at retail prices. They can use the postal service and not charge the government. 

I haven’t seen the numbers but that’s the argument I read. 

1 minute ago, GoState99755 said:

How is it "...at a lower cost," when you have to build the infrastructure for distribution?  The food stamp model uses pre-existing infrastructure.

Use the postal service. Deliver on sundays. The infrastructure already exists. 

2 minutes ago, Rebelbacker said:

And who exactly is making these wholesale purchases? Where are they stockpiled? Who’s packaging these foodstuffs? Who’s routing them for distribution? It would entail the hiring of a whole new army of government workers and the establishment of new distribution centers. I have no problem, heck I would support, putting restrictions on how the ebt cards can be used but this idea is half-baked. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

10 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

7 minutes ago, Rebelbacker said:

9 minutes ago, Rebelbacker said:

Their argument is that they can buy the food in bulk at wholesale cost vs giving money on ebt cards that people buy items at retail prices. They can use the postal service and not charge the government. 

I haven’t seen the numbers but that’s the argument I read. 

Exactly, ever heard of Amazon?  It ain't rocket science.  Heck, contact with Amazon??  

110926run_defense710.jpg

3 minutes ago, Rebelbacker said:

You want to mail "...meat, poultry, (&) milk???" How does the meat not spoil?  Milk is very heavy & expensive to ship, not to mention it has to be kept cold.

Since when is "canned fruit" a "nutritious food???"  A large majority of the nutrition is in the skin of fruit.  Most canned fruit is skinless.  Canned fruit is very heavy as well.  I can't imagine it's inexpensive to put in the mail.

4 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Exactly, ever heard of Amazon?  It ain't rocket science.  Heck, contact with Amazon??  

Who packages it for Amazon? Where does Amazon pick it up? Is Amazon going to make one delivery of a package of pasta, another delivery for a box of cereal, another for cans of fruit, and another delivery for a sack of potatoes? 

2 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

And who exactly is making these wholesale purchases? Where are they stockpiled? Who’s packaging these foodstuffs? Who’s routing them for distribution? It would entail the hiring of a whole new army of government workers and the establishment of new distribution centers. I have no problem, heck I would support, putting restrictions on how the ebt cards can be used but this idea is half-baked. 

Boy, you are OLD! Well, a few years older than me.  Contact with Amazon, have a standard suite of meal selections, let the beneficiary decide on a 7 day menu. Done.

110926run_defense710.jpg

2 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Who packages it for Amazon? Where does Amazon pick it up? Is Amazon going to make one delivery of a package of pasta, another delivery for a box of cereal, and another delivery for a sack of potatoes? 

I'm amazed you can log on to the internet with your AST computer.  In case you can't figure it out, Amazon suppliers would bundle into multiple boxes, some would need to be refrigerated.  I would also suggest adding in fresh fruit and veggies.

110926run_defense710.jpg

7 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I would imagine the HHS would make the wholesale purchase. Then I would imagine they put a bid out for a contractor to package the food and prepare for distribution. There are already plenty of companies that do this. You wouldn't have to add a whole bunch of federal jobs. Contract it out. Just like we do our roads, etc. USPS picks it up from the contractor, ships and delivers.  

You want to mail "...meat, poultry, (&) milk???" How does the meat not spoil?  Milk is very heavy & expensive to ship, not to mention it has to be kept cold.

Since when is "canned fruit" a "nutritious food???"  A large majority of the nutrition is in the skin of fruit.  Most canned fruit is skinless.  Canned fruit is very heavy as well.  I can't imagine it's inexpensive to put in the mail.

I don't want to do anything. This isn't my plan. I'm just telling you what I read. 

As for perishable foods that's easy. I have medicine shipped for my son and it has to be kept below 45 degrees. It comes in a styrofoam box with ice packs and we've never had a problem. Even if the box is in the sun for a few hours in the summer and I live in Vegas. Blue Apron does this everyday. It can be done. The question is the cost. That I have no idea on. 

10 minutes ago, Rebelbacker said:

As for perishable foods that's easy. I have medicine shipped for my son and it has to be kept below 45 degrees. It comes in a styrofoam box with ice packs and we've never had a problem. Even if the box is in the sun for a few hours in the summer and I live in Vegas. Blue Apron does this everyday. It can be done. The question is the cost. That I have no idea on. 

You are RIGHT:  "The question is the cost."  That's the pt I'm making above.  Liquid that has to be kept cold is very HEAVY & very expensive to keep cold.

11 minutes ago, Rebelbacker said:

I would imagine the HHS would make the wholesale purchase. Then I would imagine they put a bid out for a contractor to package the food and prepare for distribution. There are already plenty of companies that do this. You wouldn't have to add a whole bunch of federal jobs. Contract it out. Just like we do our roads, etc. USPS picks it up from the contractor, ships and delivers.  

I do a lot of work on road projects funded by the feds. It’s hard to imagine a less efficient way to spend a ton of money. 

You are RIGHT:  "The question is the cost."  That's the pt I'm making above.  Liquid that has to be kept cold is very HEAVY & very expensive to keep cold.

Who says milk is part of the package? There are thousands of ways to package different food stuffs. Blue Apron does this everyday and they don't have a problem with it. It can be done. 

I don't even know if I like this plan or not. But considering we subsidize Amazon shipping right now I think the shipping costs can be mitigated. We own the shipping company after all.