Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Del Scorcho

Caution: BYU, Gonzaga, some MW Teams Realignment Thread

2 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

It's a dumb thread, yes, but what do you expect from a BYU-obsessed Ute fan that starts these sorts of things?  WE are both just playing along (not like it is going to happen)

should you criticize me for finding said article ( Mug posted it also and then combined the threads ) or should we blame the BYU a$$hat that wrote this article?

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, Del Scorcho said:

should you criticize me for finding said article ( Mug posted it also and then combined the threads ) or should we blame the BYU a$$hat that wrote this article?

The guy that wrote the article is clear that he isn't even a BYU fan or grad.  Just another Mormon who claims to be a fan of a different school, but in reality obsesses about BYU.  (you have that in common with him).

On 2/13/2018 at 11:28 AM, alum93 said:

This article reads like any other "best of the rest" threads i have seen over the years.  Kudos to the author for including NMSU in his dream basketball conference.  

"author" might be giving this guy too much credit.

His big vision is for 9 current MWC schools to dump Fresno, SJSU, and Utah St and replace them with three NAIA-level football schools (St Mary's, Gonzaga, and BYU).

Gonzaga and St Mary's have had a good run in the recent decade but you don't build a conference around smaller programs that are "trending".... those two schools will fall back into the pack when Few and Bennett leave the same way that VCU and Dayton have faded already after losing Smart and Miller.

Honestly this is a tired topic.  But hell it gets views for mug...

I think in many ways the MWC is just fine.  However, for me personally the original fight of the MWC was one of inclusion with the big boys.  Utah and TCU led that fight and prior to them BYU and CSU did a fine job of making top 20 runs.  Also AFA has always been solid.  In terms of basketball with Utah, BYU, UNLV, UNM and later SDSU they became a very good basketball conference.  The MWC was starting to out do the P10 in conference tourney attendance.  Things sadly changed but I tip my hat to Utah and TCU. 

For me I think one more expansion is out there.  I think the ACC will be untouched.  However I do think the B10 will eye KU and Oklahoma.  If OU says no then I believe the other options for the B10 will be between UConn, Kstate, Mizzou, and Colorado.  It could be very interesting but from talking to people here in Topeka and Lawrence KU is prepared for the invite.  I believe the ACC should invite WVU...but doubt it happens. The SEC I believe will go after OU and OklaSt.  I think they go. 

This leaves what happens to the B12.  To me, even if they only have 5 teams left the tv deal is better for all teams involve for P12 teams to join the B12 then vice versa.  USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal, Arizona, Colorado, and Washington will make more by joining the B12 and keeping 3rd tier rights.  However I would bet on more of a merger and would be joined with ASU, Oregon, Utah, and the last spot would go to either Houston, Oregon St, and Wash St.  I would bet Houston to give more balance and voting power to Texas.

With all this in mind I propose a pre-emptive formation of a Louis and Clark Athletic conference.  7 West 7 East with room to add 2 more once the P6 conferences make their final grab. 

BYU, BSU, SDSU, UNLV, AFA, CSU, UNM

Navy, Army, Memphis, Houston, UCF, USF, UConn

(Wichita St and Creighton to replace Navy and Army for other sports)

Personally I like Wyoming and Fresno St for the next 2, but whatever.

If I were negotiating I would try to land an NBC Notre Dame lead in game.  Something they toyed around with prior to the BE getting raided. This would be a noon game and would more than likely feature a Navy or Army game.  Throw in AFA and you got a good base for a lead in game to Notre Dame. 

A Friday night game on ESPN every week similar to how the old WAC days had a game on Thursdays.  Add to that a Sat night game. 

And to me a CBSsports contract again for the lower tier games.  CBSsports is streaming now and has more access than the P12 network.  39 games, Thursdays, Sat noon, and Sat night. 

Basketball contract would be huge though.  That conference would have 8 tough basketball schools that all bring in some of the bigger crowds in the nation. And the schedule could be worked where a school would only go clear across the country twice in a given year. But imagine that game, UConn at UNLV.  Sold out.  BYU at Memphis.  SDSU at Creighton.  WSU at UNM.  At the end of the day our collective schools make more money from ticket sales than tv contracts. 

1 hour ago, suralexander said:

Honestly this is a tired topic.  But hell it gets views for mug...

I think in many ways the MWC is just fine.  However, for me personally the original fight of the MWC was one of inclusion with the big boys.  Utah and TCU led that fight and prior to them BYU and CSU did a fine job of making top 20 runs.  Also AFA has always been solid.  In terms of basketball with Utah, BYU, UNLV, UNM and later SDSU they became a very good basketball conference.  The MWC was starting to out do the P10 in conference tourney attendance.  Things sadly changed but I tip my hat to Utah and TCU. 

For me I think one more expansion is out there.  I think the ACC will be untouched.  However I do think the B10 will eye KU and Oklahoma.  If OU says no then I believe the other options for the B10 will be between UConn, Kstate, Mizzou, and Colorado.  It could be very interesting but from talking to people here in Topeka and Lawrence KU is prepared for the invite.  I believe the ACC should invite WVU...but doubt it happens. The SEC I believe will go after OU and OklaSt.  I think they go. 

This leaves what happens to the B12.  To me, even if they only have 5 teams left the tv deal is better for all teams involve for P12 teams to join the B12 then vice versa.  USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal, Arizona, Colorado, and Washington will make more by joining the B12 and keeping 3rd tier rights.  However I would bet on more of a merger and would be joined with ASU, Oregon, Utah, and the last spot would go to either Houston, Oregon St, and Wash St.  I would bet Houston to give more balance and voting power to Texas.

With all this in mind I propose a pre-emptive formation of a Louis and Clark Athletic conference.  7 West 7 East with room to add 2 more once the P6 conferences make their final grab. 

12-Pac teams joining the BIG-12...HAHAHAHA!!!

On 2/14/2018 at 10:15 PM, Del Scorcho said:

Right?

Let's blame the doctor who discovered cancer also.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

On 2/15/2018 at 12:33 AM, BleedRebelRed said:

"author" might be giving this guy too much credit.

His big vision is for 9 current MWC schools to dump Fresno, SJSU, and Utah St and replace them with three NAIA-level football schools (St Mary's, Gonzaga, and BYU).

Gonzaga and St Mary's have had a good run in the recent decade but you don't build a conference around smaller programs that are "trending".... those two schools will fall back into the pack when Few and Bennett leave the same way that VCU and Dayton have faded already after losing Smart and Miller.

Not that it is going to happen, but adding Gonzaga and replacing SJSU would be a no brainer and instantly make the conference way better for basketball.  Saying Gonzaga is trending is like saying Wichita State is trending.  They are very very good basketball programs.  It doesn't matter though as Gonzaga and St. Mary's aren't going anywhere.  BYU, who knows what they do next few years.  They certainly don't have to stay in the WCC.  Football is driving their bus and it remains to be seen what long term impact indy will be.