Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Del Scorcho

Caution: BYU, Gonzaga, some MW Teams Realignment Thread

I don't agree with this article on what should happen, but it does show that the WCC has similar problems to the MWC.  What makes the most sense IMO is for Gonzaga and BYU to join the MWC as a package deal for Oly sports.

https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2018/2/13/17004134/byu-basketball-wcc-gonzaga-mountain-west-new-conference

Fukc that noise.

I have no problem with BYU and would be pleased if they came back, but no way in hell would those schools blow up the MWC to do this shit.

They wanted WCC/Indy. They got it for better and worse. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

Well don't schedule two Division II schools would be a start for BYU. However I don't think the writer actually knows why WCC is set up the way it is.

Gonzaga doesn't have any trouble scheduling games, St. Mary's I think shoot themselves in the foot thinking they can schedule like a big team and turning down chances to play good teams on the road.

I think those are bigger issues than what conference they are in.

2 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Well don't schedule two Division II schools would be a start for BYU. However I don't think the writer actually knows why WCC is set up the way it is.

Gonzaga doesn't have any trouble scheduling games, St. Mary's I think shoot themselves in the foot thinking they can schedule like a big team and turning down chances to play good teams on the road.

I think those are bigger issues than what conference they are in.

St Mary's is a pussy and doesn't want to step up to the plate as supported by your post.  Having BYU and Gonzaga join the league would be something a good commissioner would be capable of pulling off.  Instead, we have Craig Thompson.

4 minutes ago, RamSack said:

St Mary's is a pussy and doesn't want to step up to the plate as supported by your post.  Having BYU and Gonzaga join the league would be something a good commissioner would be capable of pulling off.  Instead, we have Craig Thompson.

I can see BYU's incentive to joining MWC for oly sports while staying indy in football.   I can't see Gonzaga's even if the MWC wanted them.  They play good teams.  They are ranked.  They make noise in the NCAA.  And they are in a league with their peer schools.  

I opened that “article” up. Then...

68A64185-2D4C-40BA-8722-2D698633A3F6.gif

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Anyone who would include Air Ball Academy in advocating creation of a new conference to enhance the basketball resume of the members thereof is too ignorant of a basic reality of college hoops to be taken even halfway seriously.

:idiot:

Boom goes the dynamite.

The only way to get a somewhat meaningful basketball conference is to take the best of ( west of the Mississippi ) put them all together then you have the #4 or #5 best basketball conference.  Sorry. We live out west.  Take the good with the bad.  

Guest #1Stunner

That was a dumb blog post.   Not sure why it was posted here.

Anyway, if there is to be a realignment it will be this:

WCC

1---Gonzaga

2---Saint Mary's

3---BYU

4---Portland

5---San Francisco

6---Santa Clara

7---Pacific

8---Pepperdine

9---LMU

10---San Diego

Possible WCC Expansion Candidates:

1---AFA (would be a huge addition to the WCC)

2---Denver (the most elite school in the State of Colorado....just needs a better conference)

3---Northwest Nazarene (would get the WCC into Boise.... only an option if AFA doesn't join and they expand)

Darkhorse Candidates (depends on the MWC TV Contract)

1---SDSU (if they go Indy in football, and reject the Facebook TV Contract)---their fans want a sunshine, low elevation conference for basketball.

2---Hawaii (travel partner for SDSU and will go Indy if SDSU does)

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, slappy said:

Finally you make sense.  I wonder how big their gym is though

This was already discussed:

They have a small gym, but have a gym in Boise, right by their Nampa campus:

Plus, the Nazarenes have long played the Mormons in Church Basketball contests.   The Nazarenes need to expand their enrollment and make Northwest Nazarene their "BYU".

59c07603e009c.image.jpg?resize=1200,794

6 minutes ago, MWC said:

Why is this such a bad idea?

I would not include NM State.  I think Fresno State would be a better fit.

Otherwise, it does not sound so crazy.

So just to be clear, you don't think taking the best of the WCC/WAC/MWC and forming a separate conference from football for basketball and oly sports sounds crazy?   What if I change the word to unrealistic?