Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jack Bauer

Shame, shame Notre Dame

So, let's get this straight.  Notre Dame is vacating wins, which really doesn't matter, but they were punished because "A student-trainer was found to have completed coursework for two Notre Dame players and provided impermissible academic benefits to another six."

Yet, Baylor, UNC, Michigan State, and Penn State still don't seem to have been punished (yes, I understand things are still pending in many of these cases) for all the despicable things that have happened on their campuses due to their sports teams.

Sounds legit.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

I think one of the most frustrating things of college athletics is the double standard, especially when it comes to enforcement of the rules and punishment for violations. I mean, Cam Newton gets a one game suspension and a slap on the wrist because his "preacher" father whores his services out to the SEC, all with his knowledge. But BSU gets lack of institutional control because of some couches and happy meals? What is interesting about this case is Notre Dame is one of the bluest of blue bloods. I mean' if you are going to be heavy handed, that's fine. But how bout some damn consistency?

3 minutes ago, Spudfan84 said:

I think one of the most frustrating things of college athletics is the double standard, especially when it comes to enforcement of the rules and punishment for violations. I mean, Cam Newton gets a one game suspension and a slap on the wrist because his "preacher" father whores his services out to the SEC, all with his knowledge. But BSU gets lack of institutional control because of some couches and happy meals? What is interesting about this case is Notre Dame is one of the bluest of blue bloods. I mean' if you are going to be heavy handed, that's fine. But how bout some damn consistency?

They're so mad at Brian Kelly for killing people that they're going to slap the shit out of some poor student-trainer.

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

30 minutes ago, calvegas04 said:

Notre Dame self reported and investigated on their own. The other schools listed try to sweep it under the rug. UNC did 100 times worse and nothing happens to them.  

Rack that take.  And Baylor.  And Penn State.  And Michigan State. And...............

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Here is the thing though and this is where NCAA straddles the line. What happened at Baylor and Penn St, didn't involve eligibility of athletes, or NCAA guidelines. Can't say for Michigan St but I will guess it will fall under the same thing. Those schools may have violated Title IX and some laws but that is entirely different than violating NCAA rules. With North Carolina, they follow NCAA rules, the classes weren't possibly legit, however the NCAA doesn't manage those, that is up to the schools as lose as they follow guidelines. Even though North Carolina did some things under the rug, what happened there was within NCAA guidelines at the end of the day I am sure that is what is going to be found.

Even though seems weird really NCAA has a very small window of things they look at and anything outside of that window, hey have no control over.

The NCAA? Schools can cheat if they want to. The NCAA doesn’t have the resources to monitor or investigate. Our ADs and Presidents ARE the NCAA.

These pillars of higher ed trying to game the system to line their own pockets as the boosters of said institutions drool all over themselves, humping the leg of an 19-year-old kid. I don’t get the cheating at UNC. Supposed to be a great public school. Baylor doesn’t surprise me. WACO’s. 

5 hours ago, calvegas04 said:

Notre Dame self reported and investigated on their own. The other schools listed try to sweep it under the rug. UNC did 100 times worse and nothing happens to them.  

Kinda like the republican memo vindicating TrumP?

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

6 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

So, let's get this straight.  Notre Dame is vacating wins, which really doesn't matter, but they were punished because "A student-trainer was found to have completed coursework for two Notre Dame players and provided impermissible academic benefits to another six."

Yet, Baylor, UNC, Michigan State, and Penn State still don't seem to have been punished (yes, I understand things are still pending in many of these cases) for all the despicable things that have happened on their campuses due to their sports teams.

Sounds legit.

Notre Dame police'ing itself is a total joke. They need something that's structured and holds people accountable at all levels all the time. They need BYU's honor code, except with chocolate milk being legal. 

kat.jpg

5 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Here is the thing though and this is where NCAA straddles the line. What happened at Baylor and Penn St, didn't involve eligibility of athletes, or NCAA guidelines. Can't say for Michigan St but I will guess it will fall under the same thing. Those schools may have violated Title IX and some laws but that is entirely different than violating NCAA rules. With North Carolina, they follow NCAA rules, the classes weren't possibly legit, however the NCAA doesn't manage those, that is up to the schools as lose as they follow guidelines. Even though North Carolina did some things under the rug, what happened there was within NCAA guidelines at the end of the day I am sure that is what is going to be found.

Even though seems weird really NCAA has a very small window of things they look at and anything outside of that window, hey have no control over.

yes, i get what they're claiming, but at the end of the day, ATHLETES stayed eligible, and athletic programs benefited by COVERING UP crimes, cheating, etc, and could absolutely be punished by the ncaa for lack of institutional control. but yeah, boise and a cheeseburger..

and btw, nobody will self report, ever again..

NCAA doesn't investigate crimes, that is up to the university and if the university decides to punish for said actions. NCAA gave those sanctions to Penn St because I think the were pressured into something they really didn't want to do and soon loosened those sanctions because I think they knew they had overstepped their bounds. Like I said NCAA has a small window to look at things otherwise it is up to the individual universities and their teams to police themselves on just about everything else.

And yes schools will self report violations and continue to do so. However usually what is self reporting are minor infractions to the NCAA

8 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

The NCAA? Schools can cheat if they want to. The NCAA doesn’t have the resources to monitor or investigate. Our ADs and Presidents ARE the NCAA.

These pillars of higher ed trying to game the system to line their own pockets as the boosters of said institutions drool all over themselves, humping the leg of an 19-year-old kid. I don’t get the cheating at UNC. Supposed to be a great public school. Baylor doesn’t surprise me. WACO’s. 

I see what you did there lol

7 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Historians?

Sometimes when vacating wins the schools also have to give back some money, take down banners, give trophies back and such. For instance for college basketball if you vacate let's say tournament wins, the school may as part of that have to give back money they received from those games.

As far as I understand (and at least according to how Notre Dame is framing it) it there is an even bigger joke hidden in this: Apparently much of what was done by the student trainer was violating Notre Dame academic rules but would have been allowed in several other colleges. So in essence ND is saying they are being punished because they have higher academic standards then others...not that this is something new as such, but still...

In the end it just confirms that the whole NCAA jurisdiction is a joke because they are only limited to applying penalties based on academic or amateur limitations which in essence means that on the one hand you simply need to lower academic sufficiently and on the other hand you simply need to avoid the obvious points there and you are free to cheat as much as you like.

And that is not even taking into account that the whole thing is essentially on big-ass old boys network which is governing itself...

"Shame" and BYU.

Never happen (as their "Standard" is not inclusive outside that "World") yet the theme is accurate.

The funniest thing I see, is every time a P5 school is hit with something you have people like Jay Bilas going off on the NCAA but then when its another school they don't have an issue with it. Saw Bilas talking about its unfair for a case by case basis on penalties and cases with NCAA but that is what it is because sometimes there will be similar cases but none that are two exactly alike so sometimes you have to do case by case basis.

19 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

yes, i get what they're claiming, but at the end of the day, ATHLETES stayed eligible, and athletic programs benefited by COVERING UP crimes, cheating, etc, and could absolutely be punished by the ncaa for lack of institutional control. but yeah, boise and a cheeseburger..

and btw, nobody will self report, ever again..

4UNLV, it wasn't just a cheeseburger, it was a happy meal.  The player got to keep the toy that came with the meal.  Major, major infraction there.  If it had only just been a cheeseburger.... 

down in a hole.jpg