Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelawlorfaithful

Immigration Reform

20 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

Mkt forces in action.  Ppl are moving to where the jobs are.  Isn't that a good thing?

Yes it is. This plays in to another thread about poverty and how people don't move because they don't have a support structure. Most locals here move to the Permian and to North Dakota and they usually don't have families there.

23 hours ago, Jackrabbit said:

You brought up some points no one can prove.  If these migrants are industrious and entrepreneurial, shouldnt central america be a rich place?

My company has budgeted over $1 million a fiscal year for contracted cleaning companies.  93% of those companies  (small staffed average 8-10 employees ) are from Mexico or Central America.

They come here and pay for business licences and liability insurance.  They pay taxes and wages.

The vacation rental business would not survive without the entrepreneurs from other countries.  

And to your question- central America is not America.  

I'm probably the biggest dubya homer on the board, but I didnt dig his criticism of trumps immigration policy while overseas.  not cool for ex presidents to criticize the POTUS while on foreign soil.  Then to boot, he went with the old jobs Americans dont want card, which has always been the wrong way to sell immigration reform.

arnie still gives the best pitch for immigration reform from anyone on the right.

On 2/13/2018 at 9:20 PM, Jackrabbit said:

You brought up some points no one can prove.  If these migrants are industrious and entrepreneurial, shouldnt central america be a rich place?

Wait... so if all of the hardworking and clever people leave a place why isn't that place rich?

Come on man

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 2/14/2018 at 8:42 PM, DestinFlPackfan said:

My company has budgeted over $1 million a fiscal year for contracted cleaning companies.  93% of those companies  (small staffed average 8-10 employees ) are from Mexico or Central America.

They come here and pay for business licences and liability insurance.  They pay taxes and wages.

The vacation rental business would not survive without the entrepreneurs from other countries.  

And to your question- central America is not America.  

Thats great, but you do not account for all illegal immigrants.  Are there not citizens that could be working those jobs?

On 2/16/2018 at 8:44 AM, happycamper said:

Wait... so if all of the hardworking and clever people leave a place why isn't that place rich?

Come on man

My question is....if they are all clever, industrious and entrepreneurial, why do they have to leave in the 1st place?

3 hours ago, Jackrabbit said:

My question is....if they are all clever, industrious and entrepreneurial, why do they have to leave in the 1st place?

Because, maybe they were born into shitty social/political situations that do not promote liberty and/or individual advancement.

You know, kind of like many of our early ancestors who left Europe for the "New World" 3-4 hundred years ago.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

Because, maybe they were born into shitty social/political situations that do not promote liberty and/or individual advancement.

You know, kind of like many of our early ancestors who left Europe for the "New World" 3-4 hundred years ago.

They came here legally.

46 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Couldn’t figure out how to do that on mobile...but yes, the signs need to be spelled correctly. 

I was just being a jerk... my iPad switches to Spanish. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

On 2/13/2018 at 10:22 AM, renoskier said:

Re: the Trump proposal.

I'm good with additional funds for border security. Would prefer that they not be spent on a wall but on fencing and other technology. If it needs to be a wall, so be it.

I certainly agree with the 10-12 years path to citizenship for 1.8 million Dreamers; these folks are essentially American.

What I don't understand is the desire to reduce overall immigration. Sure, if you'd like to redefine and limit "chain migration" that's okay but we are essentially at zero unemployment and our national birth rate is well below replacement rate. So why do we want to decrease overall immigration? 

On 2/13/2018 at 10:55 AM, Jackrabbit said:

Anything that limits new people coming here will help keep wages up.   

On 2/13/2018 at 11:17 AM, renoskier said:

No it won't. But it will stunt growth and limit innovation.

You know, many immigrants are very entrepreneurial and  start new businesses.

On 2/13/2018 at 2:29 PM, Jackrabbit said:

Pretty standard talking points i would say.   

On 2/13/2018 at 5:16 PM, renoskier said:

Yes.......for a pragmatic Republican businessman.

On 2/13/2018 at 8:20 PM, Jackrabbit said:

On 2/14/2018 at 1:36 PM, renoskier said:

Why not? Isn't that what we've always done? Seems to have worked out pretty well.

On 2/17/2018 at 8:10 AM, Jackrabbit said:

21 hours ago, renoskier said:

20 hours ago, Jackrabbit said:

They came here legally.

Please try to pay attention. As you can see from our posts, we're not discussing illegal immigration. We are discussing the desire of the Trump proposal to reduce legal immigration(especially from shitthole countries). I fully support additional funding for border security (think spending it on a wall is wasteful but whatever) what I don't understand is why we want to reduce legal immigration. We need new blood; I fear that in a few more generations we will become a "raisin republic", old and withered.

We need border security.   Limiting immigration would not be an economic/social disaster....It would support higher wages.   Coupled with welfare reform that stops paying able bodied people to sit on their asses, steps toward ending generational poverty would help our country the most.

On 2/17/2018 at 9:10 AM, Jackrabbit said:

I don't know, Jack. Why is Wyoming's biggest export industrious, clever, and entrepreneurial young people?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 2/18/2018 at 11:59 AM, renoskier said:

Please try to pay attention. As you can see from our posts, we're not discussing illegal immigration. We are discussing the desire of the Trump proposal to reduce legal immigration(especially from shitthole countries). I fully support additional funding for border security (think spending it on a wall is wasteful but whatever) what I don't understand is why we want to reduce legal immigration. We need new blood; I fear that in a few more generations we will become a "raisin republic", old and withered.

When nationalism rises in countries, as it is here, it seems that immigration suffers.  Given enough time, I think citizens of countries on the "acceptable" list won't have much interest anyway.  The way Trump destroys world perception of America, that time may be accelerated.

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

13 hours ago, Boise fan said:

When nationalism rises in countries, as it is here, it seems that immigration suffers.  Given enough time, I think citizens of countries on the "acceptable" list won't have much interest anyway.  The way Trump destroys world perception of America, that time may be accelerated.

Just more double standard comparisons. You should compare other countries immigration policies to ours. If you think we are being bigoted , think again.  

It is also remarkable to me why so much consideration is given to our immigrants, legal or not.  The average American working joe has been left out of it...and it is why Trump is president in the first place. 

The liberal policy of racial/cultural segregation and brainwashing is complete and it is hurting us.