Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LaradiseCowboy

Never too early for WAY too early projections

7 hours ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

The offense will improve, and I expect to see better production from one of the very capable QBs waiting in the wings. NOT intangibles but better production. I think TVW will be the starter, but true Fr. Sean Chambers will compete for the top spot. Smith will NOT be the starter.

Other impact positions on offense will be improved, which we saw toward the end of the season. They are coming into their own. Big question mark for the running game though. Still not convinced we’ll be productive in that area.

If the defense performs on-par with this season, a marginal improvement in offensive production will make us a serious contender for the MWCC.

I still don’t see us beating Boise though....they’re finally finding their grove.

Even if Smith is the starter, the offense will be improved IMO.   Tough not to when you return 8 or 9 starters.    The D will be the best in the MWC and keep Wyoming in most games.   The offense will need to be productive, but not great to finish 2nd and challenge for the top spot.  

9 hours ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

The offense will improve, and I expect to see better production from one of the very capable QBs waiting in the wings. NOT intangibles but better production. I think TVW will be the starter, but true Fr. Sean Chambers will compete for the top spot. Smith will NOT be the starter.

Other impact positions on offense will be improved, which we saw toward the end of the season. They are coming into their own. Big question mark for the running game though. Still not convinced we’ll be productive in that area.

If the defense performs on-par with this season, a marginal improvement in offensive production will make us a serious contender for the MWCC.

I still don’t see us beating Boise though....they’re finally finding their grove.

I'm all for being optimistic but when you say you are expecting to see better production from one of the capable QB's waiting in the wings what are you basing this on?  Is it the fact that Nick Smith was so awful last season the other QB's on the roster couldn't be worse?  All I know is if Smith is even in the running for the starting role come fall this alone will tell us all we need to know about the QB situation in Laramie.  Fingers crossed you're right and one of the young QB's will step up but at this point as a group they're completely unknown at the college level.

I'm most optimistic about the O-line improving and will be the most important factor to greater success on offense and the key to finding a running game.

3 hours ago, CO_Poke said:

Even if Smith is the starter, the offense will be improved IMO.   Tough not to when you return 8 or 9 starters.    The D will be the best in the MWC and keep Wyoming in most games.   The offense will need to be productive, but not great to finish 2nd and challenge for the top spot.  

Uh, no. We will need a QB with more athleticism than Smith. And one that the coaches trust. We have already seen the lack of trust in Smith from Vigen.

10 hours ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

breh you're replacing human deity josh allen 

you aren't getting better QB play this year

2 hours ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

I'm all for being optimistic but when you say you are expecting to see better production from one of the capable QB's waiting in the wings what are you basing this on?  Is it the fact that Nick Smith was so awful last season the other QB's on the roster couldn't be worse?  All I know is if Smith is even in the running for the starting role come fall this alone will tell us all we need to know about the QB situation in Laramie.  Fingers crossed you're right and one of the young QB's will step up but at this point as a group they're completely unknown at the college level.

I'm most optimistic about the O-line improving and will be the most important factor to greater success on offense and the key to finding a running game.

I actually wouldn’t be surprised if Smith was in the running come fall. Bohl historically has stuck with experience over talent, especially with leadership roles like the QB position. There are some exceptions of course. Also a reason I think they’ll go with TVW over true Fr. Chambers regardless of who might look like the better athlete come fall camp. Too early to make a definitive prediction but I’m not too concerned with our QB play. 

Union.jpg.6989c32e721d578d3952602294d1af90.jpgCampus500x283.jpg.208ead7433af78ce44bb775b8561f0c7.jpg

Snowies.jpg.8548e47a8f188d64d1a93ecde4744b11.jpgIMG_1401.JPG.cfa8ec5eeb3ac75f090d8d5e59dd0805.JPG

5 minutes ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

I actually wouldn’t be surprised if Smith was in the running come fall. Bohl historically has stuck with experience over talent, especially with leadership roles like the QB position. There are some exceptions of course. Also a reason I think they’ll go with TVW over true Fr. Chambers regardless of who might look like the better athlete come fall camp. Too early to make a definitive prediction but I’m not too concerned with our QB play. 

The best way to overcome poor (Smith) or inexperienced (everyone else) QB play is to have a solid running game.  Wyoming finished 117 out of 129 FBS teams in rushing offense last season.  Just how much do you expect them to improve in one year?  Yes, I think the Cowboys will be better/more experienced at several offensive positions but without competent QB play I don't necessarlly see this transating into wins.

26 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

The best way to overcome poor (Smith) or inexperienced (everyone else) QB play is to have a solid running game.  Wyoming finished 117 out of 129 FBS teams in rushing offense last season.  Just how much do you expect them to improve in one year?  Yes, I think the Cowboys will be better/more experienced at several offensive positions but without competent QB play I don't necessarlly see this transating into wins.

So do you not think we made some progress in the running game toward the end of the season? I thought Overstreet started to hit gaps with less hesitation and showed signs of improvement that could be carried into the offseason. I don’t think there will be a night and day difference in our running game, but I do think there are signs for improvement.

Can’t be too difficult to top No. 117 out of 129 right?

Union.jpg.6989c32e721d578d3952602294d1af90.jpgCampus500x283.jpg.208ead7433af78ce44bb775b8561f0c7.jpg

Snowies.jpg.8548e47a8f188d64d1a93ecde4744b11.jpgIMG_1401.JPG.cfa8ec5eeb3ac75f090d8d5e59dd0805.JPG

53 minutes ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

I don't think Chambers has a chance to start this fall. He has too far to come. I think he could end up being good but I think some of our fans are putting too much on him. He has some athletic talent and a good arm but this kid couldn't complete over 50% of his passes in HS. He can grow into a good qb but there is no way he will be ready this fall.IMO. I think TVW will be ready to go and will be a decent replacement with potential to grow  into a great QB.

Overall I think our offense will be better due to improving at every position other than QB(same players getting better and better players taking over)

21 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

Defense has been holding us back.  This off-season drastically upgraded our Defensive Coaching Staff & concentrated on recruiting the defensive side of the ball, w/a few Juco's that should make an impact.

Colin Hill (QB) is the real deal.  We are very deep at WR & RB.

This same thing happened at unlv. just sayin..

and we ARE very deep at WR, and RB, as well, with charles smith healthy again. plus our QB is no longer a freshman, so there's that. so by that reasoning, it sounds like the rebs finish second. lol.

On 2/12/2018 at 6:07 PM, LaradiseCowboy said:

Nvm....found it.

26 - Boise State

44 - Fresno State

55 - San Diego State

72 - Wyoming

77 - Utah State

95 - Colorado State

101 - Nevada

105 - UNLV

111 - New Mexico

112 - Air Force

122 - Hawaii 

129 - San Jose State

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2018/2/9/16994486/2018-college-football-rankings-projections

I know they do these rankings every year.  Is there any record of where the numbers shake out post season each year.  If I'm to take this formula seriously, I'd like to see some validity.

3 hours ago, slappy said:

Wyoming wins the Mountain again this year ( 2 out of last 3 ).  Best defense in the MW with some key games at home.  

Fresno wins the consolation bracket, earns a trip up North

Boise will have the best defense and will easily win the Mountain.

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

and we ARE very deep at WR, and RB, as well, with charles smith healthy again. plus our QB is no longer a freshman, so there's that. so by that reasoning, it sounds like the rebs finish second. lol.

The West is getting better. Fresno and SDSU will be two of the top teams in the league. UNLV and UNR should be improved.

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

We are starting from a higher point:

* Y'all went 5-7 in the West...we went 7-5 in the Mtn

* Y'all lost to Howard at hm...we beat A-Christian handily  

* Y'all spent December at hm...we went to the New Méx Bowl

....shall I continue?

9 minutes ago, slappy said:

Well there you go.  Pissing contest.  I bet my dad kicks the shit out of your dad.  How's that. 

He probably would kick my dad's @$$, if he knew about that time he gave it to your mom. BTW, your biological dad says hi and is sorry he couldn't make it to any of your t-ball games. 

4 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

We are starting from a higher point:

* Y'all went 5-7 in the West...we went 7-5 in the Mtn

* Y'all lost to Howard at hm...we beat A-Christian handily  

* Y'all spent December at hm...we went to the New Méx Bowl

....shall I continue?

Colorado State loses more starters than any other MW team.