Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

westfan

The MWC Tournament

Just a feeling that the conference champ may not win this thing. There are teams that seem to pull great games from their rear on a given day. As a Nevada fan i hope they keep winning in case of that scenario for a second or possibly third at large (wishful thinking) bid. IMO, Nevada and Boise State should both be in the tournament, but teams like WYO, USU, SDSU, nevada southern, even NM,AF and CSU can be dangerous, heck throw in SJSU having a brain fart for one game may determine their fate.

58 minutes ago, westfan said:

Just a feeling that the conference champ may not win this thing. There are teams that seem to pull great games from their rear on a given day. As a Nevada fan i hope they keep winning in case of that scenario for a second or possibly third at large (wishful thinking) bid. IMO, Nevada and Boise State should both be in the tournament, but teams like WYO, USU, SDSU, nevada southern, even NM,AF and CSU can be dangerous, heck throw in SJSU having a brain fart for one game may determine their fate.

If Reno and Boise play for the title I would guarantee 2.  Otherwise I think 1 with a solid chance for the play in.  

I see no scenario for 3. 

1 hour ago, westfan said:

So apparently Fresno State isn't dangerous huh?  You know Terry Rodneys teams always seem to gell late in the season..coming off back to back 18 pt wins at Wyoming and vs San Diego State.  I'm more worried about the game wednesday at SJSU, they always give us fits up there and they are certainly due!!  This years tourney is going to be the best in years as so many teams can make the final.  I'll be there!!

"Frankly my dear..I don't give a damn"!

1 hour ago, TheDogSnake said:

So apparently Fresno State isn't dangerous huh?  You know Terry Rodneys teams always seem to gell late in the season..coming off back to back 18 pt wins at Wyoming and vs San Diego State.  I'm more worried about the game wednesday at SJSU, they always give us fits up there and they are certainly due!!  This years tourney is going to be the best in years as so many teams can make the final.  I'll be there!!

Yep, people have started talking UNLV as a contender now but there's good old Frenso hanging in there "quietly" in 3rd place.  

I can still see 3 getting in. (1 auto and 2 at-large)

Nevada takes 2 losses and goes 27-7 in the semis.

Boise finishes the conference season undefeated but loses in the finals. 27-6

Fresno and UNLV seem to be the most consistent and the biggest threat to win the tournament outside of Reno and Boise. Fresno has the easiest schedule to finish out. If either make it to the title game, they will have 25+ wins and a decent RPI. 

12 hours ago, TheDogSnake said:

Who?? Actually my bad, I missed them when posting.:facepalm:

There is now no chance of the MW getting three in the NCAAs.

There is now also no chance of SDSU winning the MW tourney. My guess is we'll go to one of those two monstrosities that wanted us last year but which the team voted to turn down. Oh how the quasi-mighty have fallen.

Boom goes the dynamite.

15 minutes ago, BacksThePack said:

Nevada's not built for a 3 games in 3 days tournament. Rotations too short.

They pretty much played 6 players in last years tournament. Leland King had 16 minutes in the first game of the tournament and 1 minute in the second game. Having 7 players in the rotation is a luxury.

55 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

There is now no chance of the MW getting three in the NCAAs.

There is now also no chance of SDSU winning the MW tourney. My guess is we'll go to one of those two monstrosities that wanted us last year but which the team voted to turn down. Oh how the quasi-mighty have fallen.

Whats the prognosis on Trey Kell? If he's healthy I wouldn't write-off the Aztecs.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

16 hours ago, westfan said:

While I agree with you that most of us can put three days of ball together and win the tournament, I wouldn't characterize it as you have, as a team pulling it out of their rear,  Once you pull it out of your rear a couple, 3 times, I don't think it is pulling it out of your rear anymore, right?

The World Needs More Cowboys!

If BSU and UNR get knocked out, it certainly is open to anyone else. I don't see that happening though. Barring injury, I see this one going chalk. The two outliers I see as having a chance to beat the top two are Fresno and UNLV. Fresno always turns it on late and catches fire, and UNLV can beat anyone, any game, if they play a complete game. I just don't think UNLV will avoid a "WTF game" in 3 days, and I think Fresno can beat one of the top 2, but not both.

49 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

If BSU and UNR get knocked out, it certainly is open to anyone else. I don't see that happening though. Barring injury, I see this one going chalk. The two outliers I see as having a chance to beat the top two are Fresno and UNLV. Fresno always turns it on late and catches fire, and UNLV can beat anyone, any game, if they play a complete game. I just don't think UNLV will avoid a "WTF game" in 3 days, and I think Fresno can beat one of the top 2, but not both.

That's quite reasonable.  Still games to be played, though.  Lots of stuff can and will happen. 

Lots of stuff can happen in the next few weeks but right now UNLV seems to be putting things pretty well which I think would have to move them up to one of the favorites for the tournament. However Fresno is kind of laying in the weeds and yeah you can't count out Wyoming.

Utah st could be the wild card in all of this though. 

To me Nevada, Boise st, UNLV, Fresno St, Wyoming or Utah St could win. If someone out of that group won, it would be a surprise for me.

3 hours ago, battle.borne said:

Whats the prognosis on Trey Kell? If he's healthy I wouldn't write-off the Aztecs.

I would obviously love to have Kell prove me wrong but I don't think he would make any difference in the tournament other than giving us more depth. After shooting 40% from the field as a sophomore, Kell was again shooting the same 37% he shot last year. I naively thought as did most Aztecs that he just had an off year and would work hard to really pick it up for his senior season. But no, he didn't. For a guy who was a prolific scorer in HS, he just never really panned out as a collegian.

With or without Kell and regardless of who we play, I see SDSU going two and out in the tourney.

Boom goes the dynamite.