Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

westfan

Nevada @ Boise State

2 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Is there video of Caleb posterizing Hutchison out there yet? I want to see if it’s Burton-dunk-montage worthy. 

It was okay but not Burtonesque.

Honestly, the thing that makes Burton's dunks so spectacular was that he was only like 6' tall. When you see those feet 40 inches off the floor, that's impressive.

54 minutes ago, renoskier said:

It was okay but not Burtonesque.

Honestly, the thing that makes Burton's dunks so spectacular was that he was only like 6' tall. When you see those feet 40 inches off the floor, that's impressive.

I thought so too. But the camera angle is chitty. That’s why I want to see video. 

2 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Boise had more rebounds, assists, blocks, steals, and fewer turnovers. Thank god Stephens was on fire.

I’ve seen this posted multiple times and while true it’s also a bit miss leading imho. Boise is one of the best rebounding teams in the country and only had 4 more rebounds, 1 more assist and 1 less turnover. So it was actually pretty even in most of these stats.

Nevada held Boise to 40% shooting and 19.2% from 3 while shooting 48.3 and 43.8%. (and yes thank you Stephens 6-8 3) That was the ball game, defense.

It's mid-Feb.  Time for hands around the throats of Bronco hoops players.   They could have won every stat war last night but they were still destined to lose.   There's a mental toughness missing from the program that's been missing since Dye left the program.   

I actually thought BSU played a pretty good game.  With the exception of shooting percentage, they were pretty much even with Nevada. Normally, the three's are a streaky thing in basketball but last night, Nevada was on all night long.  Boise had good looks, great looks especially at point blank range, but the ball just wasn't falling.  Every team has those types of nights.  It comes down to execution and BSU was short on offensive execution.  The loss sucks but it is nothing more setting up the conference tournament seeding.  Go Broncos!

11 hours ago, roughrider said:

It's mid-Feb.  Time for hands around the throats of Bronco hoops players.   They could have won every stat war last night but they were still destined to lose.   There's a mental toughness missing from the program that's been missing since Dye left the program.   

I was around during the Dye years and, while those teams were good enough to challenge for the Big Sky crown, they were no more clutch in big games than this current team is. While at Boise State, Bobby Dye’s record in the NCAA tourney and against Top 25 schools wasn’t anything to be that nostalgic about. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

4 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I was around during the Dye years and, while those teams were good enough to challenge for the Big Sky crown, they were no more clutch in big games than this current team is. While at Boise State, Bobby Dye’s record in the NCAA tourney and against Top 25 schools wasn’t anything to be that nostalgic about. 

I'd love to see a breakdown of that.  My impressions were if there was a big game in the Pavillion that meant something, his teams won it.  Since then the Broncos lose meaningful games at home with regularity late in the season.  They didn't choke so much as lack overall talent. He got them to play D like no one we've seen since too, mostly because of that lack of overall talent.   That was a coach who took Fullerton to the final 8 in the NCAA's because he had talent.  I still wonder what he'd do here now.  

2 minutes ago, roughrider said:

I'd love to see a breakdown of that.  My impressions were if there was a big game in the Pavillion that meant something, his teams won it.  Since then the Broncos lose meaningful games at home with regularity late in the season.  They didn't choke so much as lack overall talent. He got them to play D like no one we've seen since too, mostly because of that lack of overall talent.   That was a coach who took Fullerton to the final 8 in the NCAA's because he had talent.  I still wonder what he'd do here now.  

I can't think of too many marquee wins that Dye had during his time at Boise State. I know they beat a ranked Oregon State once but I can't think of any other ranked opponents they beat.  

Boise State Broncos (Big Sky Conference) (1983–1995)
1983–84 Boise State 15–13 6–8 T–5th  
1984–85 Boise State 16–13 5–9 T–6th  
1985–86 Boise State 12–16 6–8 T–6th  
1986–87 Boise State 22–8 10–4 T–5th NIT Second Round
1987–88 Boise State 24–6 13–3 1st NCAA First Round
1988–89 Boise State 23–7 13–3 T–1st NIT First Round
1989–90 Boise State 12–15 7–9 7th  
1990–91 Boise State 18–11 10–6 4th NIT First Round
1991–92 Boise State 16–13 7–9 5th  
1992–93 Boise State 21–8 10–4 2nd NCAA First Round
1993–94 Boise State 17–13 7–7 5th NCAA First Round
1994–95 Boise State 17–10 7–7 T–4th  
Boise State: 213–133 101–77

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

21 hours ago, toonkee said:

I never said they were equivalent but you're defending unsportsmanlike behavior.

I think better of Caleb and apparently hold him to a higher standard of sportsmanship and conduct than you do.

Weird take that dunking a ball after the buzzer to taunt a student section which wished injury on his teammate is being a poor sport. 

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

1 hour ago, battle.borne said:

Weird take that dunking a ball after the buzzer to taunt a student section which wished injury on his teammate is being a poor sport. 

My position is that two wrongs don't make a right. That's it for me on this topic.

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

My position is that two wrongs don't make a right. That's it for me on this topic.

True, just my opinion but it was a heated battle between to very evenly matched good teams and emtions bubbled over.  Maybe it was over the top maybe it wasn’t but it sure does add spice if there is a possible third matchup.  Personally this is why I love sports.

6 hours ago, Packman04 said:

True, just my opinion but it was a heated battle between to very evenly matched good teams and emtions bubbled over.  Maybe it was over the top maybe it wasn’t but it sure does add spice if there is a possible third matchup.  Personally this is why I love sports.

Agreed. And love the butthurt from Boise fans when they lose to Nevada. ?

12 hours ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Agreed. And love the butthurt from Boise fans when they lose to Nevada. ?

You mean lose to anyone.  The USU loss hurt far worse.  That's the wake up call fans fear every season, losing to a lessor team that the rest of the league beats up on when the Broncos are supposed to be 'legit' this time.   Losing to Nevada isn't a crime.  They're damn good. 

50 minutes ago, roughrider said:

You mean lose to anyone.  The USU loss hurt far worse.  That's the wake up call fans fear every season, losing to a lessor team that the rest of the league beats up on when the Broncos are supposed to be 'legit' this time.   Losing to Nevada isn't a crime.  They're damn good. 

In Boise's defense USU has been pretty solid at home, I remember last year Nevada lost there by a pretty big margin. Should be interesting to see how Nevada does today. We smashed them at Lawlor earlier but I doubt it will be nearly that easy today.

8k3esKz.png