Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SharkTanked

OT: 2018 Winter Olympics Discussion

Shoot outs are a lousy way of deciding a championship.  The Olympics need to stop that crap.

Congrats USA.  Though Canada was the better team the majority of the game, you came on strong at the end.

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

It felt like a slow start for the United States outside of the snowboarding events, but we've really picked it up in the second half of these Olympics.

2 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Huge Olympic Games for David Wise. And shoutout to Moment Skis. ?

That run was completely insane, especially when you consider it was his last chance to even finish a run, let alone win a medal, after his bindings came loose on the first two. 

I do think that this was the moment of the Olympics though. I don't know if there's anything that could possibly top it. The women beating Canada last night was awesome, but this was the first women's cross-country medal in US history, the first US medal of any kind since 1976, and the first cross-country gold medal in US history. 

Here's a better video...

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/incredible-call-perfectly-captures-diggins-historic-moment?chrcontext=wnbc

2 hours ago, bsubroncochick said:

I’ve been a huge curling fan for about 20 years. This is excellent!!!

I've watched it for a few minutes in a couple of Olympics, but it never caught on with me.  But there has been a lot of curling on when I get up in the wee hours, and I've gotten hooked.  Now if I just knew the rules and understood all the lingo.

"Same Shyatt Different Decade"

6 hours ago, Lost Poke said:

I've watched it for a few minutes in a couple of Olympics, but it never caught on with me.  But there has been a lot of curling on when I get up in the wee hours, and I've gotten hooked.  Now if I just knew the rules and understood all the lingo.

You ever play Bocce? Or Petanque? Horseshoes? Congrats, you know curling! People think it's more difficult than what it actually is. It's just Bocce on ice. The brooms are literally used to sweep the ice of debris or water residue to make the stone go faster or to slow it down, depending on where you sweep. The closest on to the center (called a button) gets the point, and if the winner has more than one closest to the center in comparison to their opponent, they get a point for each one. Hammer just means the last stone of the end (which is basically an inning). 

Jeremy Roenick admitted on the air he shed a tear or two after the women's gold medal game.  Also said the Czech men have no shot of upsetting the OAR.

Germany just beat Canada 4-3 to advance to the gold medal game in mens hockey against the OAR.  Germany was 0-12 vs Canada all time at the Olympics so this is a huge upset.  With the US out of the medals and Canada out of the gold medal game this all but ensures NHL participation in the next Olympics and perhaps from now on.  It's clear there's an advantage to the European teams, particularly those with large numbers of KHL players when the NHL does not participate.

Germany has never played for an Olympic gold medal before.  They upset heavily favored Sweden and now Canada to get to the gold medal game.  I don't expect a close game vs the OAR team.  Then again I never would have thought they'd beat Sweden or Canada.

15 hours ago, Jersey Rebels said:

You ever play Bocce? Or Petanque? Horseshoes? Congrats, you know curling! People think it's more difficult than what it actually is. It's just Bocce on ice. The brooms are literally used to sweep the ice of debris or water residue to make the stone go faster or to slow it down, depending on where you sweep. The closest on to the center (called a button) gets the point, and if the winner has more than one closest to the center in comparison to their opponent, they get a point for each one. Hammer just means the last stone of the end (which is basically an inning). 

True!  But apparently you can't hit stones that aren't in the circles or kitchen or whatever they call it?  And there must be others because there were several times I've seen where the team with the last stone (hammer?) seemingly could just slide their stone on the "button" and get the point, but instead knock the opponent's stone out of the kitchen (or whatever they call it) that was in one of the outside rings and end up with nothing.

Those stones are called guards, and they can't be removed from play until four rocks have been thrown. They can be moved or ticked, but not eliminated until the fifth rock. As for your other statement, that's actually strategy. If the other team scores a point, it's called a steal. When a steal happens, the team with the hammer keeps the hammer, so sometimes (most times) teams will actually not want to score only one point if they have hammer, but instead,may very well concede a point to their opponent in order to keep the hammer. If you have a hammer, you want two points or else it's not worth losing the hammer. 

48 minutes ago, Jersey Rebels said:

Those stones are called guards, and they can't be removed from play until four rocks have been thrown. They can be moved or ticked, but not eliminated until the fifth rock. As for your other statement, that's actually strategy. If the other team scores a point, it's called a steal. When a steal happens, the team with the hammer keeps the hammer, so sometimes (most times) teams will actually not want to score only one point if they have hammer, but instead,may very well concede a point to their opponent in order to keep the hammer. If you have a hammer, you want two points or else it's not worth losing the hammer. 

giphy.gif

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 hour ago, Jersey Rebels said:

Excellent!  That will make the last match much more interesting.  It also explains how Canada had the hammer for something like 4 or 5 ends in a row the other night.