Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SharkTanked

OT: 2018 Winter Olympics Discussion

2 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

So...cross country skiing looks the hardest? Yes? No?

The hardest to do, as most physically demanding? Yes. The hardest to accomplish something? No. Biathlon is tougher to win (if we keep within the Nordic disciplines. Outside of Nordic ones, downhill is very, very hard to do and win)

Cross countries skiers are the top of top when to comes to pound for pound physical strength and stamina, though, absolutely. I mean just look at Charlotte Kalla's thighs and Marit Bjoergens arms, they'd make any guy jealous. 

1 hour ago, Jersey Rebels said:

The hardest to do, as most physically demanding? Yes. The hardest to accomplish something? No. Biathlon is tougher to win (if we keep within the Nordic disciplines. Outside of Nordic ones, downhill is very, very hard to do and win)

Cross countries skiers are the top of top when to comes to pound for pound physical strength and stamina, though, absolutely. I mean just look at Charlotte Kalla's thighs and Marit Bjoergens arms, they'd make any guy jealous. 

I was thinking more along the lines of Sports I could actually finish the event and survive. Ski Jump and Downhill skiing I’m a dead man. Cross country skiing looks like the athletic equivalent of being drawn and quartered. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 2/11/2018 at 1:47 AM, Jersey Rebels said:

Looking forward to see how Mikaela Shiffrin does on the downhill. Like I mentioned in the other thread, I actually watch winter sports on the regular. She's skiied out her last two or three events around January 20th, so I'm interested to see how she gets back on the horse after looking like she would dominate it earlier in the season.

I'm interested in seeing Shaun White and if he can regain his glory before bowing out.

I'm interested in seeing how JR Celski is going to blow it again.

I'm interested in seeing if US female hockey team can finally beat Canada in the Olympics and regain the gold after 20 years. 

Well, I guess I have my answers to all of these questions:

1) She's back on the horse in spades. Not sure if she'll go with the Super G, but even if she craps out the rest of the time, she's leaving with gold.

2) Spoiler alert, he regained it.

3) He has been just awful so far. The entire short track team has been awful, actually.

4) No. The answer is no, they cannot. 

Feel bad for Lindsey. I've met her before, she's a decent woman. She's dominated snowboard cross for the past fourteen years, yet the world will never know now.  It was clear though from the quarterfinals that she was having waxing issues. She never had the speed that she is known for (like think of it as KAJ's skyhook, it's her calling card: being able to gain speed when the others cannot). 

This was actually hard for me to watch because this was the last thing I watched with my father before he passed in December. We were watching the Val Thorens world cup race, which is the last time I've watched snowboard cross because of it. 

Lindsey Jacobellis redeemed herself making it to the finals.  I feel for her though.  She's put in so much effort to erase the memories of her fall in Torino.  I hope she has one more Games in her.  Regardless, Lindsey is still a four time Olympian with a silver medal.  

That was a tough finals.

18 minutes ago, Jersey Rebels said:

Ester Ledecka. Wow. Such a nobody before this that I've never even seen her compete in skiing at all this season (I've seen her this season in snowboard, though). She gets cut out of the runs all the time because of her low ranking. Great story. 

Crazy that NBS proclaimed the Austrian gal the gold medalist - long before Ledecka even hit the slopes.  It just must kill to lose a gold medal by 0.01... and, at the same time, be euphoric for the winner.  The winning gal was clearly in shock, tho'.   Her style wasn't very pleasing, but she still managed to fly down the hill...  

As to Lindsey Vonn, I've never been a huge fan, but do want to see her cap a great career with gold in the Downhill next week.  Her career is very much worthy of that and those injuries have been brutal (she's a beast to have gone through what she has over the years)...

As to Jacob-Ellis, I stil have nightmares for that woman in her Turin 2006 finale.  She was, like, 50+ yards ahead of the gal in 2nd.  As much a "sure thing" (winner) as there ever was in a race.  She could've slid on her ass home and still won (well, almost).  What really strikes (confounds) me is that her attempt at hot-dogging it on that last jump (if you want to call it that) was a pretty half-assed effort.  So she does a terrible job on that... and goes down to boot.  I have been watching the Olympics for a long, long time and only Dan Jansen's foibles over the years approached what happened to Lindsey here.  Don't get me wrong; I feel badly for Jacob-Ellis, but at least he has 1 gold medal sitting on his dresser...  

How about the Russian women's hockey team? (excuse me, the OAR).  They take Switzerland down 6-2 to reach the medal round.  Next up for the OAR is Canada.

The Swiss melted down in an epic fashion.  They even gave up a short handed goal despite being on a five on three power play.