Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SharkTanked

OT: 2018 Winter Olympics Discussion

During the 5,000 meter speed skating races, the sideline reporter analyzed the differences in blades between the skates of a speed skater, figure skater and hockey player. 

The blades of a speed skater are longer, thinner and is attached to the boot by a hinge at the front.  It's not rigidly attached.  Really neat stuff.

20 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

You do know it's played on ice and requires repetitive upper body motion while maintaining balance and speed in a direction lateral to the upper body?

Yes, I've curled before. Played  junior hockey in Canada, wasn't old enough to drink but lots of beer was consumed by the older men.

On 2/11/2018 at 7:50 AM, sebasour said:

I'm  pumped for hockey and will be waking up at 5 am for the US vs Russia next Saturday. I don't think we'll fare well without NHL players but I'm excited nonetheless.

9 hours ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

If one cannot get pumped up for USA vs the Russkies then nothing gets you going.  I dont care what the odds are as I love to stoke the fires of my disdain for Red Army/Russian hockey!

Sadly, Team USA is made up of the type of roster that it usually sends to the IIHF WC, where it usually gets its ass handed to it. In an ideal world, men's ice hockey at the Olympics would feature the U20 teams. For example, this Team USA roster, would have kicked ass:

NO. 

NAME 

POS 

HT (CM) 

WT (KG) 

DOB 

S/C 

HOMETOWN 

CURRENT TEAM 

NHL RIGHTS 

13 Joey Anderson*^(C) F 6-0 (183) 200 (91) 6/19/98 R Roseville, Minn. University of Minnesota Duluth (NCHC) NJD ('16, 3rd rd., 73rd overall)
24 Mikey Anderson D 6-0 (183) 198 (90) 5/25/99 L Roseville, Minn. University of Minnesota Duluth (NCHC) LAK ('17, 4th rd., 103rd overall)
23 Kieffer Bellows*^(A) F 6-1 (185) 204 (93) 6/10/98 L Edina, Minn. Portland Winterhawks (WHL) NYI ('16, 1st rd., 19th overall)
22 Logan Brown F 6-6 (198) 218 (99) 3/5/98 L St. Louis, Mo. Windsor Spitfires (OHL) OTT ('16, 1st rd., 11th overall)
8 Adam Fox*^(A) D 5-11 (180) 185 (84) 2/17/98 R Jericho, N.Y. Harvard University (ECAC Hockey) CGY ('16, 3rd rd., 66th overall)
34 Trent Frederic^ F 6-2 (188) 212 (96) 2/11/98 L St. Louis, Mo. University of Wisconsin (Big Ten) BOS ('16, 1st rd., 29th overall)
21 Patrick Harper* F 5-8 (175) 158 (72) 7/29/98 L New Canaan, Conn. Boston University (HEA) NSH ('16, 5th rd., 138th overall)
6 Quinn Hughes^ D 5-9 (176) 168 (76) 10/14/99 L Orlando, Fla. University of Michigan (Big Ten) 2018 Draft Eligible
49 Max Jones^ F 6-3 (191) 210 (95) 2/17/98 L Rochester, Mich. London Knights (OHL) ANA ('16, 1st rd., 24th overall)
5 Ryan Lindgren*^(A) D 6-0 (183) 204 (93) 2/11/98 L Minneapolis, Minn. University of Minnesota (Big Ten) BOS ('16, 2nd rd., 49th overall)
10 Will Lockwood^ F 6-0 (183) 173 (78) 6/20/98 R Bloomfield Hills, Mich. University of Michigan (Big Ten) VAN ('16, 3rd rd., 64th overall)
11 Casey Mittelstadt F 6-0 (183) 202 (92) 11/22/98 L Eden Prairie, Minn. University of Minnesota (Big Ten) BUF ('17, 1st rd., 8th overall)
9 Josh Norris^ F 6-1 (185) 194 (88) 5/5/99 L Oxford, Mich. University of Michigan (Big Ten) SJS ('17, 1st rd., 19th overall)
30 Jake Oettinger*^ G 6-4 (193) 215 (97) 12/18/98 L Lakeville, Minn. Boston University (HEA) DAL ('17, 1st rd., 26th overall)
20 Andrew Peeke D 6-2 (188) 211 (96) 3/17/98 R Parkland, Fla. University of Notre Dame (Big Ten) CBJ ('16, 2nd rd., 34th overall)
15 Scott Perunovich D 5-10 (177) 170 (77) 8/18/98 L Hibbing, Minn. University of Minnesota Duluth (NCHC) 2018 Draft Eligible
4 Ryan Poehling F 6-2 (188) 193 (87) 1/3/99 L Lakeville, Minn. St. Cloud State University (NCHC) MTL ('17, 1st rd., 25th overall)
12 Dylan Samberg D 6-4 (193) 215 (97) 1/24/99 L Hermantown, Minn. University of Minnesota Duluth (NCHC) WPG ('17, 2nd rd., 43rd overall)
1 Jeremy Swayman G 6-3 (191) 200 (91) 11/24/98 L Anchorage, Alaska University of Maine (HEA) BOS ('17, 4th rd., 111th overall)
7 Brady Tkachuk^ F 6-3 (191) 194 (88) 9/16/99 L St. Louis, Mo. Boston University (HEA) 2018 Draft Eligible
27 Riley Tufte F 6-5 (196) 227 (103) 4/10/98 L Ham Lake, Minn. University of Minnesota Duluth (NCHC) DAL ('16, 1st rd., 25th overall)
31 Joseph Woll*^ G 6-3 (191) 197 (89) 7/12/98 L St. Louis, Mo. Boston College (HEA) TOR ('16, 3rd rd., 62nd overall)
17 Kailer Yamamoto F 5-8 (173) 153 (69) 9/29/98 R Spokane, Wash. Spokane Chiefs (WHL) EDM ('17, 1st rd., 22nd overall)

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

The wind during Women's Slopestyle was so unfortunate. :( They couldn't really go for it land much of anything because they would either overcompensate for it, or just get blown all over the place anyway. 

11 hours ago, Wyovanian said:

All Alpine Skiing, Nordic Jumping, Luge, Skeleton, Bobsled, Biathlon, and, of course, Women's Figure Skating...

And anyone who thinks Curling isn't athletic has never tried it. Takes some serious concentration, skill, strength, and stamina...

Oh I'm sure curling, especially at this level, requires some decent level of athleticism, but just looking at the curling athletes in comparison to pretty much every other sport, the demands on the body, the risk of physical injury, it's just not on the same level as any other Winter Olympic event. But the same can be said about the shooting/archery events in the Summer Games as well.

I was just saying there is no way I could ever see myself having the physical abilities to ever dream of doing any other Olympic event. Now I don't know if I'd ever have the skill for it, but as far as physical requirements it isn't a stretch to see most people at a certain fitness level able to do curling.

Japan women's hockey just didn't have enough offense. Switzerland wins 3-1, two goals coming on the power play.  Japan looked so tiny compared to the Swiss.

7 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Sadly, Team USA is made up of the type of roster that it usually sends to the IIHF WC, where it usually gets its ass handed to it. In an ideal world, men's ice hockey at the Olympics would feature the U20 teams. For example, this Team USA roster, would have kicked ass:

The sad thing is it won't even be that level. This past summer the US actually did quite well in the WC. They choked in the quarters but in the preliminary round they went 6-1 winning their group while beating Russia and eventual champs Sweden in the process. That team was almost entirely composed of NHL players who's teams missed the playoffs though. This team should be far below that.

I don't know a ton about this year's field since I've never heard of 99% of the players. The general sense I'm getting from people who know more than me is that Russia is in a tier by itself. Canada, Sweden, and Finland make up tier 2. Us and The Czechs make up tier 3 with everyone else below us. Hopefully we just take care of business against Slovakia and Slovenia and then maybe we'll have a shot at sneaking into the semis with a favorable draw in the playoff round. 

It's a shame though, an NHL team would have likely been the most talented US team ever assembled. With 2022 being in Beijing (A market the NHL wants to break into) and with CBA talks coming up, I'm hopeful we'll get NHL players back in 4 years. This will always be a missed chance though.

28 minutes ago, sebasour said:

The sad thing is it won't even be that level. This past summer the US actually did quite well in the WC. They choked in the quarters but in the preliminary round they went 6-1 winning their group while beating Russia and eventual champs Sweden in the process. That team was almost entirely composed of NHL players who's teams missed the playoffs though. This team should be far below that.

I don't know a ton about this year's field since I've never heard of 99% of the players. The general sense I'm getting from people who know more than me is that Russia is in a tier by itself. Canada, Sweden, and Finland make up tier 2. Us and The Czechs make up tier 3 with everyone else below us. Hopefully we just take care of business against Slovakia and Slovenia and then maybe we'll have a shot at sneaking into the semis with a favorable draw in the playoff round. 

It's a shame though, an NHL team would have likely been the most talented US team ever assembled. With 2022 being in Beijing (A market the NHL wants to break into) and with CBA talks coming up, I'm hopeful we'll get NHL players back in 4 years. This will always be a missed chance though.

This was petty on both sides.  The NHL and IOC need to work out a compromise.  It can be done.

1 hour ago, AlvinLee said:

2008 was my "There is no Santa Claus" moment re: The Olympics.

Enjoy the glorification of oppressive regimes and racist countries if you wish. I'll stick to College Softball.

...and glorification of oppressive and racist policies and media sources

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Shaun White wins gold in men's halfpipe snowboarding, Japan's Ayumu Hirano takes silver, Australia's Scotty James the bronze.  

97.75 score for White.  The U.S. has won gold in all the snowboarding events so far these Olympics.