Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SharkTanked

OT: 2018 Winter Olympics Discussion

Since we don't have a thread for general discussion of the games, here we go...

What events are you looking forward to?

What are your favorites?

Is it about the events or the patriotic medal count?

Right now I'm watching curling and it makes me think even I could be a 40 yr old Olympian. But that's the beauty of the games. You've got insane athletes and then you have certain events with little to no athletic talent, but some other skill honed to an extreme level.

Looking forward to see how Mikaela Shiffrin does on the downhill. Like I mentioned in the other thread, I actually watch winter sports on the regular. She's skiied out her last two or three events around January 20th, so I'm interested to see how she gets back on the horse after looking like she would dominate it earlier in the season.

I'm interested in seeing Shaun White and if he can regain his glory before bowing out.

I'm interested in seeing how JR Celski is going to blow it again. 

I want to see how Charlotte Kalla uses this Olympics to propel herself to being in the discussion for best ever female cross country skier. She's Swedish, so I'm sure not many of you are interested in that. 

I want to see if Jessie Diggins can finally win the US a medal in women's cross country. She slowly but surely inching up the world standings over the past few seasons, so let's see if she can finally pull one out on the biggest stage.

I want to see if the US female hockey team can finally beat Canada in the Olympics and regain the gold after 20 years. 

And finally, I'm interested in watching the new discipline of speed skating: mass start. It should be absolute mayhem, which is always fun. 

And yeah, we have another thread, but that wasn't talking about the results of these games. That's my intent here.

Looks like US medaled in slopestyle, which is an awesome event to watch.

And agree on Shaun White. I think I've watched every run of his Olympic career. It's between him and Anton-Ohno for best US winter Olympian I have seen in my life.

My favorite event is short track speed skate tho. The speed and the wrecks. Just so crazy to watch. Luge is up there too. Can't understand how the US has never produced a legit luge sledder... ever.

6 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

And yeah, we have another thread, but that wasn't talking about the results of these games. That's my intent here.

Looks like US medaled in slopestyle, which is an awesome event to watch.

And agree on Shaun White. I think I've watched every run of his Olympic career. It's between him and Anton-Ohno for best US winter Olympian I have seen in my life.

My favorite event is short track speed skate tho. The speed and the wrecks. Just so crazy to watch. Luge is up there too. Can't understand how the US has never produced a legit luge sledder... ever.

I wasn't calling this thread out with my "in the other thread" comment, I was just making reference to my comment. Sorry.

Yeah, Red Gerard kind of came out of nowhere. I mean, his first win ever was two weeks ago at Mammoth. Good performance from him.

If Shaun wins this, he's up there with greatest American winter athlete, absolutely. Anton-Ohno is a fine choice, but I'd probably go with Bode Miller--he wasted more talent than most people have. However, Lindsey Vonn really needs to win this Olympics, because statistically speaking, she's the greatest female skier by a large margin, but her Olympic medal count is super lower. 

Short track is always fun, just stinks that this year Aaron Tran is too green to win anything because JR Celski is basically a bust from what he was said to be back in 2010 when he first showed up. 

13 minutes ago, Jersey Rebels said:

I wasn't calling this thread out with my "in the other thread" comment, I was just making reference to my comment. Sorry.

No worries. I was just explaining why I felt compelled to start a new thread on the games.

And good call on Bode Miller. Also Dan Jansen is up there. I remember his last couple games. He was like the Phelps of speed skating.

As for Vaughn, I still don't understand how she keeps going with what she has been through. If she gets a medal, that will totally make these games.

And women's hockey should be legit. I really hope they can win it. They have the talent to.

16 hours ago, sebasour said:

I'm  pumped for hockey and will be waking up at 5 am for the US vs Russia next Saturday. I don't think we'll fare well without NHL players but I'm excited nonetheless.

If one cannot get pumped up for USA vs the Russkies then nothing gets you going.  I dont care what the odds are as I love to stoke the fires of my disdain for Red Army/Russian hockey!

18 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

Since we don't have a thread for general discussion of the games, here we go...

What events are you looking forward to?  Curious to see how the hockey medals play out without NHL athletes.  Would like to see Lindsey Vonn go out on top in one of her 3 events.  Hoping to see US speed skaters get back on the podium after getting shut out in Sochi.

What are your favorites?  I like most all winter oly events but my favs are biathalon, freestyle ski jumping, X-coutry skiing (particulary the sprints), Downhill, Super G, Skeleton (crazy bastards), hockey, speed skating (long and short) and snowboard cross.

Is it about the events or the patriotic medal count?  Medal count is all well and good but for me it's about pulling for US athletes in a bunch of sports I love that get little fanfare, at least in the US outside of the Olympics. 

Right now I'm watching curling and it makes me think even I could be a 40 yr old Olympian. But that's the beauty of the games. You've got insane athletes and then you have certain events with little to no athletic talent, but some other skill honed to an extreme level.

love the olympics.  great stories about people and supremely dedicated athletes you would otherwise never hear about.  not the pampered pros in this country.  still love seeing the flag raised and the grins on the podium.  great stuff

13 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

When will the figure skating stop?  PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!!!

A) This team event just drags it out more. I don't remember it  being this bad at Sochi, where the team event first showed up. 2) It's probably because of all the Alpine skiing being cancelled. 

All Alpine Skiing, Nordic Jumping, Luge, Skeleton, Bobsled, Biathlon, and, of course, Women's Figure Skating...

And anyone who thinks Curling isn't athletic has never tried it. Takes some serious concentration, skill, strength, and stamina...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

50 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

All Alpine Skiing, Nordic Jumping, Luge, Skeleton, Bobsled, Biathlon, and, of course, Women's Figure Skating...

And anyone who thinks Curling isn't athletic has never tried it. Takes some serious concentration, skill, strength, and stamina...

Well, to do it well. Otherwise, it's kinda like bowling or boche, you can drink while you play. 

This halfpipe announcing is so bad due to the wind (the A team announcers are doing Slopestyle at the same time). Trace Worthington is a hall of famer...as a skier. But I have no idea why Tina Dixon is so bad. She's a snowboarder herself, won a few X-Game golds, yet she seems like she's reading from a script. 

28 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Well, to do it well. Otherwise, it's kinda like bowling or boche, you can drink while you play. 

You do know it's played on ice and requires repetitive upper body motion while maintaining balance and speed in a direction lateral to the upper body?

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

22 hours ago, sebasour said:

I'm  pumped for hockey and will be waking up at 5 am for the US vs Russia next Saturday. I don't think we'll fare well without NHL players but I'm excited nonetheless.

A quick reminder, Olympic hockey rinks are wider than in the NHL.  Ten feet, give or take.