Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NWRebel

Wyoming @ UNLV

20 minutes ago, Jaredcg said:

Bigs don’t normally jump from 25 to 5 with extra year in college. So much IF IF IF

IF Nevada lands McDonalds All-American Jordan Brown and they return 4 senior starters they are a top 10 team next year. As Roberto would say undefeated 

Jordan Brown isn’t picking UNR.

1 minute ago, ph90702 said:

I don’t see one expert saying he’s going to Reno.

That's fine.  Long way to go, though.

Hell, Muss may not be there next year if Reno makes S16 or E8, which honestly is not out of the realm of possibility now that Caleb appears to be back. $$$$

38 minutes ago, toonkee said:

That's fine.  Long way to go, though.

Hell, Muss may not be there next year if Reno makes S16 or E8, which honestly is not out of the realm of possibility now that Caleb appears to be back. $$$$

If they came up with $2 million per year to pay him, he would stay.

I’d like to point out that we are top 50 in KenPom offensive efficiency.  We never were under Dave Rice, who only finished in the top 100 his first year.  Imagine if we had three point shooters.  We are shooting under 30% from three in conference play, and teams still can’t stop Juiston or McCoy.

11 hours ago, ph90702 said:

I’d like to point out that we are top 50 in KenPom offensive efficiency.  We never were under Dave Rice, who only finished in the top 100 his first year.  Imagine if we had three point shooters.  We are shooting under 30% from three in conference play, and teams still can’t stop Juiston or McCoy.

We are also really good at getting to the FT line. Probably the most underrated aspect of our team.

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If you’re such a UNLV fan, why did you go elsewhere?

Free throw shooting is on an uptick nationally.  There are currently 227 teams shooting 70% or better from the line.  Ten years ago, there were only 143 teams that shot 70% or better from the line.  Even last year, there were 186 teams that shot 70% or better from the foul line.  Therefore, you can’t just say it’s based solely on the game becoming more guard and shooting oriented since there’s been about a 25% increase in the number of teams who shoot 70% or better from the foul line in just one year.

3 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Free throw shooting is on an uptick nationally.  There are currently 227 teams shooting 70% or better from the line.  Ten years ago, there were only 143 teams that shot 70% or better from the line.  Even last year, there were 186 teams that shot 70% or better from the foul line.  Therefore, you can’t just say it’s based solely on the game becoming more guard and shooting oriented since there’s been about a 25% increase in the number of teams who shoot 70% or better from the foul line in just one year.

That's actually quite interesting. I wonder why. Are players more mentally ready for basketball than there were 10 years ago? Or is it more FT practice with the rise of the Hack a Shaq strategy in other leagues? Is it due to more foreign post players which tend to shoot from the FT better?

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If you’re such a UNLV fan, why did you go elsewhere?

3 minutes ago, Yellow Evan said:

That's actually quite interesting. I wonder why. Are players more mentally ready for basketball than there were 10 years ago? Or is it more FT practice with the rise of the Hack a Shaq strategy in other leagues? Is it due to more foreign post players which tend to shoot from the FT better?

I think it took awhile but the 3 point line has fundamentally changed the game and there is much more emphasis on shooting. Even the big men are now often good shooters who can stretch the D out to the line. The basic down low "back to the basket" big man is becoming a thing of the past.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

I think it took awhile but the 3 point line has fundamentally changed the game and there is much more emphasis on shooting. Even the big men are now often good shooters who can stretch the D out to the line. The basic down low "back to the basket" big man is becoming a thing of the past.

A post up is one of the more inefficient shots (unless you’re Isaac Haas).  I was watching him, and I was envious of how much space he had to work with.  McCoy and Juiston would be even better if they had as much space as he did to operate.

https://youtu.be/88deOMbRQ0Y

16 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

A post up is one of the more inefficient shots (unless you’re Isaac Haas).  I was watching him, and I was envious of how much space he had to work with.  McCoy and Juiston would be even better if they had as much space as he did to operate.

I don't know who Isaac Haas is but you might be too young to appreciate how efficient and unstoppable Kareem was in the post.

13 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

How about the new big man....plays facing the basket:

8 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I don't know who Isaac Haas is but you might be too young to appreciate how efficient and unstoppable Kareem was in the post.

I’m only 27.  He retired a year before I was born.  He never got bodied up cleanly.  That’s why he was unstoppable.