Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

youngredbullfan

Who is the greatest Basketball Player to ever come out of a current MWC school?

56 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

LOL, no.  Cooper was just along for the ride for all those rings.  It's not like he would have elevated some other team to winning rings if he didn't play for LA. He averaged like 8 ppg during his career. Marion and Johnson were way better NBA players than Mike Cooper.  Marion and Johnson were multiple time All Stars. 

True, Cooper didn’t put up a lot of points ppg with the Lakers, but when you have Kareem, Worthy, Magic and Scott among others only so many shots, points to go around.  He changed his game in the pros to concentrate on defense and in the 80’s he was one of the best in the game in that area.  

A couple of names I haven’t seen mentioned yet.  Bob Rule, Colorado State.  Bob played for Jerry at Riverside CC, was one of his favorite players and after Larry Johnson was probably the next best among a long list.  He use to say, “Bobby could drop 30 points on Wilt Chamberlin anytime he wanted to.”

Bob was a second round pick of the Seattle Supersonics and was a first team rookie.  Unfortunately Bobby tore his knee a couple of seasons into his career which was off to a great start.  

Back then medicine wasn’t what it is today and a torn ACL was basically a career sentence. Had it not been for the injury he could have been the best ever out of the MWC teams.  

For Reno, Edgar Jones had a decent NBA career after a great college career.  

One name for Fresno State I haven’t seen is Ron Anderson.  He had a pretty lengthy run in the NBA.  Didn’t put up great numbers overall, but was a solid player.  

Guest #1Stunner

Not a lot of NBA superstars or all stars to come out of the current MWC.   Some good NBA role players, though.

Larry Johnson is probably the greatest.  Was an NBA superstar early in his career.

2 hours ago, Ernie Baer said:

True, Cooper didn’t put up a lot of points ppg with the Lakers, but when you have Kareem, Worthy, Magic and Scott among others only so many shots, points to go around.  He changed his game in the pros to concentrate on defense and in the 80’s he was one of the best in the game in that area.  

Kind of my thinking too.  Thanks for explaining it to dip shit.  I was just gonna let him sit there and keep wondering about what we were talking about.  Kids. 

Mike Bronson what happened to that Wyoming guard that posters assured Mike Bronson was going to be an NBA Star.

The MWC... it seems like they're getting somewhere but not getting anywhere.

3 hours ago, Spot50B said:

So just another opportunity for Vegas fans to self-fellate about how things used to be?  Got it...

Someone's triggered. 

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

13 minutes ago, CO_Poke said:

While he didn't have a long NBA career, Fennis Dembo needs to be on the list.   He and Eric Leckner led the Pokes to a Sweet 16.....F'n Rebels.   

I still get nightmares about those Uche brothers Wyo had in the WAC. Those guys were muscular and played mean.

Below are the numbers - this list is for players that have been in 100 or more NBA games.  The "TOTAL" is total NBA career points+rebounds+assists.  For active players I guess you project where they will be at the end of their careers.... if you say Paul George and Kawhi Leonard have 15 year careers then they are both right up there in the middle of the top 10.

I saw Fennis Dembo mentioned above... he's not on this list because he didn't play in 100 games, but I also noticed that he was about 25th of Wyoming players as far as pro career is concerned, while his teammate Eric Leckner is top 3.

These numbers don't account for contributions on defense, which affects players like Michael Cooper and Stacey Augmon.  I would definitely have Michael Cooper in my starting five.

My top 5: Leonard, Cooper, Marion, Cage, Theus

MWCcareers1.PNG

MWCcareers2.PNG

Mel Daniels was also a Lobo. I would put him over Coop.