Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dshawfan

CA proposes no tackle FB before HS

19 hours ago, calvegas04 said:

I understand why they want to do this, but won't it also cause poor tackling and more injuries if they are not exposed to it at a younger age?

18 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Yes, it will IMO.  Better to teach safe football when the forces in play are small and fundamentals can be trained in a safer environment.  I can pretty much promise that injuries, especially head injuries will increase without early training in the fundamentals.

In my opinion the problem with football isn't poor tackling but rather something more at the core of the design/rules of the game.  When every yard is contested for hitting becomes necessary rather than tackling.  For example in rugby there is only one spot on the field (i.e. the goal line) where it matters if the ball carrier falls forward or not.  In football virtually every play requires hitting at the line of scrimmage or on the ball carrier and especially so on third down or anytime the ball carrier is about to cross a first down line or goal line.  If a player tackles rather than hits the ball carrier and gives up a first down that player did not do his job.  Football has fundamental issues because of the rules of the game that no other sport has.  Can it be fixed?  Sure, but what will the game look like after the fix?

1 hour ago, NYCLobo said:

Everyone should go ahead and learn Mandarin. Could you imagine if we had to fight a REAL war? Mommies at boot camp telling off drill sergeants.

The pussification of boys will be the eventual downfall of this country.

God help us. 

27 minutes ago, RiverCityBronco said:

Here are just a couple of links, but there is so much research on this it is hard to ignore, and sad anyone would ignore it given the stakes.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/11/171127091135.htm

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/20751923/in-wake-new-research-brain-expert-says-think-children-play-tackle-football

NYC is Macho Man!

1 hour ago, WilliamHicks said:

Harry Carson and others are entitled to their opinions. As I stated, society has shifted dramatically away from roughness, especially with boys. Boys don’t go outside anymore either.

Attacks on football are just another symptom. We’re ruining a generation of boys by taking all masculine activities away from them. 

As I said, learn Mandarin now. We’ll be under Chinese rule within 20 years. No way this and the next generation of boys can or will fight for American freedom. 

And it’s not just football. Face masks in baseball. No headers in soccer. No checking in lacrosse and hockey. 

Frankly the only sport with contact anymore is basketball. Fortunately overbearing mommies stay confined to house leagues and are hyperventilating on soccer sidelines instead of bothering travel and AAU. 

OH, and make no mistake. This is another veiled attack on the black inner cities and working class. Football is was putting too many black kids into prep schools and keeping too many out of trouble. Can’t have that, right?

Childhood obesity, inactivity,  social media's effect on childhood emotional/cognitive development, and generations of fatherless children growing into man children themselves and repeating the cycle are all far greater societal concerns of mine than concussions in pee-wee football.

45 minutes ago, NYCLobo said:

Harry Carson and others are entitled to their opinions. As I stated, society has shifted dramatically away from roughness, especially with boys. Boys don’t go outside anymore either.

Attacks on football are just another symptom. We’re ruining a generation of boys by taking all masculine activities away from them. 

As I said, learn Mandarin now. We’ll be under Chinese rule within 20 years. No way this and the next generation of boys can or will fight for American freedom. 

32 minutes ago, NYCLobo said:

And it’s not just football. Face masks in baseball. No headers in soccer. No checking in lacrosse and hockey. 

Frankly the only sport with contact anymore is basketball. Fortunately overbearing mommies stay confined to house leagues and are hyperventilating on soccer sidelines instead of bothering travel and AAU. 

OH, and make no mistake. This is another veiled attack on the black inner cities and working class. Football is was putting too many black kids into prep schools and keeping too many out of trouble. Can’t have that, right?

CDEF44BD-09AD-49BF-A4F8-7D187708F52E.jpeg

3 hours ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

In my opinion the problem with football isn't poor tackling but rather something more at the core of the design/rules of the game.  When every yard is contested for hitting becomes necessary rather than tackling.  For example in rugby there is only one spot on the field (i.e. the goal line) where it matters if the ball carrier falls forward or not.  In football virtually every play requires hitting at the line of scrimmage or on the ball carrier and especially so on third down or anytime the ball carrier is about to cross a first down line or goal line.  If a player tackles rather than hits the ball carrier and gives up a first down that player did not do his job.  Football has fundamental issues because of the rules of the game that no other sport has.  Can it be fixed?  Sure, but what will the game look like after the fix?

Interesting thoughts.  Most research indicates that it isn't the big hits in tackles as it is multiple smaller hits that is the biggest culprit.  I really think as they study the mechanism more, equipment can evolve to make it safe.  Doesn't matter though, this will all come down to perception more than science anyway.

5 hours ago, NYCLobo said:

That's silly.  My generation played flag & then we went to Vietnam.  With flag you learn basic FB & develop the skill sets.  Nothing wrong with that.

7 hours ago, NYCLobo said:

Im in favor of avoiding tackle football before age 14, but replacing it with MMA and pistol/rifle shooting lessons.  i want tomorrow's youth to live long enough to fight the good fight. 

latestbroncofanslogo.png.20959eb73e46249d924bc7abb968f702.png

Korey Hall was one of the best linebackers in Boise State history and his father, who also played at Boise State, didn’t let him play football until high school. Fundamentals can be taught at 16.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

On 2/10/2018 at 1:57 PM, NYCLobo said:

Are you a Convert sock? This is the same kind of stupid machismo argument he would make.

First of all, learning Mandarin is probably a good idea. Not because the Chinese are going to take over in 20 years, just because learning a foreign language is good for everyone.; might as well learn one that billions of folks speak.

Now, China may someday dominate the globe but if so, I guarantee it won't be because their boys are tougher than ours from beating their brains in on a playing field. It will be because they are kicking our ass in the classroom. By the way, all those Chinese boys speak Mandarin and English.

On 2/10/2018 at 4:43 PM, Headbutt said:

Interesting thoughts.  Most research indicates that it isn't the big hits in tackles as it is multiple smaller hits that is the biggest culprit.  I really think as they study the mechanism more, equipment can evolve to make it safe.  Doesn't matter though, this will all come down to perception more than science anyway.

Removing hard helmets and pads would probably make the game safer. 

2 hours ago, JADogs05 said:

Removing hard helmets and pads would probably make the game safer. 

They make a pad for the outside of the helmet to reduce the severity of the blow without sacrificing protection.  A local HS tried them until the state HS Athletics Association made them stop because there wasn't enough data to prove they would be safer.  I'm serious.

Now who's got brain damage?

People always talk about tackling but there are other issues too. Running backs now run with their heads down like battering rams against defensive players. On the lines there's smaller hits to the head on every single play.

Will be interesting to see if this leads to decreased physicality out west. Most of the best players in our conference and the PAC come from California.

3 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

People always talk about tackling but there are other issues too. Running backs now run with their heads down like battering rams against defensive players. On the lines there's smaller hits to the head on every single play.

Will be interesting to see if this leads to decreased physicality out west. Most of the best players in our conference and the PAC come from California.

Running backs with good coaches don't run with their heads down like battering rams, never have.  Hips down, leading with the pads, but head up.

I'm a brain scientist and I let my son play football

“My name is Peter Cummings. I am a forensic pathologist and a neuropathologist, which means I study brain trauma for a living. I am also a football coach and I let my 11-year-old son play football. I may be the only neuropathologist on Earth who lets his kid play football.”

“You may have a read about a recently published paper reporting the presence of CTE in the brains of 99 percent of former National Football League players examined. The findings of this study sent the media into a frenzy and produced a lot of negative press toward football. As a result of the media attention, people are now saying there should be no more youth football; there are even people who are insinuating I am abusing my son by allowing him to play football.”

“But when I dove into the published literature regarding CTE, I discovered the scientific evidence to support the media’s narrative was lacking; in fact, I found bodies of evidence to the contrary and a whole other side to the science that is largely ignored.”

“Replication and independent verification are two crucial steps in the scientific process. Yet many findings associated with CTE haven’t passed these tests. Contrary to what appears in the headlines, multiple researchers have found no significant relationship between playing football and increased risk of violence, suicide and dementia in the general football playing population.”

“So, when you hear “99 percent of football players had CTE,” that doesn’t mean that almost every football player will get CTE, and it doesn’t mean your child has a 99-percent chance of developing CTE if he or she plays football. It means 99 percent of a specifically selected study sample had some degree of CTE; not 99 percent of the general football population. This is an important distinction.”

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/im-brain-scientist-let-son-play-football-135727314.html

Union.jpg.6989c32e721d578d3952602294d1af90.jpgCampus500x283.jpg.208ead7433af78ce44bb775b8561f0c7.jpg

Snowies.jpg.8548e47a8f188d64d1a93ecde4744b11.jpgIMG_1401.JPG.cfa8ec5eeb3ac75f090d8d5e59dd0805.JPG

2 hours ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

I'm a brain scientist and I let my son play football

“My name is Peter Cummings. I am a forensic pathologist and a neuropathologist, which means I study brain trauma for a living. I am also a football coach and I let my 11-year-old son play football. I may be the only neuropathologist on Earth who lets his kid play football.”

“You may have a read about a recently published paper reporting the presence of CTE in the brains of 99 percent of former National Football League players examined. The findings of this study sent the media into a frenzy and produced a lot of negative press toward football. As a result of the media attention, people are now saying there should be no more youth football; there are even people who are insinuating I am abusing my son by allowing him to play football.”

“But when I dove into the published literature regarding CTE, I discovered the scientific evidence to support the media’s narrative was lacking; in fact, I found bodies of evidence to the contrary and a whole other side to the science that is largely ignored.”

“Replication and independent verification are two crucial steps in the scientific process. Yet many findings associated with CTE haven’t passed these tests. Contrary to what appears in the headlines, multiple researchers have found no significant relationship between playing football and increased risk of violence, suicide and dementia in the general football playing population.”

“So, when you hear “99 percent of football players had CTE,” that doesn’t mean that almost every football player will get CTE, and it doesn’t mean your child has a 99-percent chance of developing CTE if he or she plays football. It means 99 percent of a specifically selected study sample had some degree of CTE; not 99 percent of the general football population. This is an important distinction.”

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/im-brain-scientist-let-son-play-football-135727314.html

Thank you Laradise.  That article nailed it IMO.  I've read the Mayo Clinic results mentioned in the article, they support what you're saying.

19 hours ago, renoskier said:

Are you a Convert sock? This is the same kind of stupid machismo argument he would make.

First of all, learning Mandarin is probably a good idea. Not because the Chinese are going to take over in 20 years, just because learning a foreign language is good for everyone.; might as well learn one that billions of folks speak.

Now, China may someday dominate the globe but if so, I guarantee it won't be because their boys are tougher than ours from beating their brains in on a playing field. It will be because they are kicking our ass in the classroom. By the way, all those Chinese boys speak Mandarin and English.

I don't know what a "Convert sock" is. But, actually, I see multiple references to the far right, etc. In truth, one of the harshest commentaries regarding the wussification of America was penned by Ed Rendell, the former democratic governor of PA and former chair of the DNC. 

Actually, Mandarin is probably not the ideal language of the future due to its structure as it relates to computing and digitization. English, for instance, is a much better global language. Much easier to learn, much easier to represent digitally.

Yeah, there is some truth to your third paragraph. Warfare is increasingly won in R&D labs, alliances are built based on economic value. But the United States became and remains the world's only dominant power because it's tough, resiliant and resourceful.