Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dshawfan

CA proposes no tackle FB before HS

This is actually not the first time this has been brought up. In other states there have been discussions about not having tackle football until high school because of possible concussion issues. There have also been some areas that have or at least talked about doing away with the kickoff and extra points.

3 hours ago, dshawfan said:

Putting forth a proposal to ban tackle FB before HS. Wonder what the future holds for the game I grew up with

If that happens it might just save the game that you grew up with.  Otherwise many parents will stop letting their kids play the sport, schools will ban it, and it will become like lacrosse - only played sparsely and regionally (as in down south).

25 minutes ago, calvegas04 said:

I understand why they want to do this, but won't it also cause poor tackling and more injuries if they are not exposed to it at a younger age?

Yes, it will IMO.  Better to teach safe football when the forces in play are small and fundamentals can be trained in a safer environment.  I can pretty much promise that injuries, especially head injuries will increase without early training in the fundamentals.

I love football but my daughter, son-in-law, my wife and myself are encouraging our grandsons to play other sports.  We are all football fans through and through but I don't want my grandsons playing until much later if at all.  I watched elementary school tackle football this past fall and that was serious stuff.  I value my grandson's brains.  Both boys are completing their basketball seasons, it is now baseball season and both boys are starting spring baseball.  It is already a lot of work keeping up with what they do but I love watching  them play and develop.  Oh and they have to keep their grades in check so that they can play sports and they are both doing that.

It is more and more common for the more economically well to do parents to refuse to allow their sons to play football.  They are wanting to protect their kids from injuries.  In a short time, only the kids from poorer families will be on the field.  How will that affect attendance?

If you watch that documentary about youth football in Texas (Netflix) you’ll realize that safety is of little concern to coaches and parents.  You’d think these were high school kids and not 10 year olds.  Across the nation parents are directing their kids to other sports.  I love the sport, but when my kid decided he didn’t want to play football anymore it didn’t break my heart.  

5812325074_d6d40a5a2c_b.jpg

15 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Yes, it will IMO.  Better to teach safe football when the forces in play are small and fundamentals can be trained in a safer environment.  I can pretty much promise that injuries, especially head injuries will increase without early training in the fundamentals.

And pop warner injuries will decrease to zero; I doubt any increase due to poor tackling will surpass the number of all pop warner injuries. 

1 hour ago, SalinasSpartan said:

And pop warner injuries will decrease to zero; I doubt any increase due to poor tackling will surpass the number of all pop warner injuries. 

Just how prevalent due you think contact injuries are in Pop Warner.  I coached for years at that level.  One kid on another team broke a collarbone, that's the extent of what I can remember.  Little league football is no more dangerous than soccer or lacrosse.

47 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Just how prevalent due you think contact injuries are in Pop Warner.  I coached for years at that level.  One kid on another team broke a collarbone, that's the extent of what I can remember.  Little league football is no more dangerous than soccer or lacrosse.

Critical brain development is occurring at these ages, making hits to the head all the more dangerous and impactful to the long term development of the brain.  This has been researched pretty extensively.  

Everyone should go ahead and learn Mandarin. Could you imagine if we had to fight a REAL war? Mommies at boot camp telling off drill sergeants.

The pussification of boys will be the eventual downfall of this country.

God help us. 

27 minutes ago, RiverCityBronco said:

Critical brain development is occurring at these ages, making hits to the head all the more dangerous and impactful to the long term development of the brain.  This has been researched pretty extensively.  

You are full of $hit. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/im-brain-scientist-let-son-play-football-135727314.html

I am in favor of banning tackle football until age 14. The studies are for real, a child's spinal cord is just not developed enough to sustain the hits, the concussions under 14 years old cause lifelong brain damage. Plus all the knee injuries at those young age never heal back right.  

Too many asshole fathers trying to relive the glory years thru their own sons. Let em play Flag Football until 14 years of age. 

Barry Sanders attributed his skills and moves to playing Flag Football. 

latestbroncofanslogo.png.20959eb73e46249d924bc7abb968f702.png

On 2/9/2018 at 12:14 PM, dshawfan said:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/la-pol-ca-essential-politics-updates-california-would-bar-organized-tackle-1518130990-htmlstory.html

Putting forth a proposal to ban tackle FB before HS. Wonder what the future holds for the game I grew up with

parents should have the option to expose their kid to sports without the whole brain injury thing...

mem skyline sig.jpeg

34 minutes ago, NYCLobo said:

Here are just a couple of links, but there is so much research on this it is hard to ignore, and sad anyone would ignore it given the stakes.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/11/171127091135.htm

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/20751923/in-wake-new-research-brain-expert-says-think-children-play-tackle-football