Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bsu_alum9

OT - Jimmy Garoppolo 49ers - 5 yr $137M

13 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

LOL at the niners. Gee, what happened the last time you were sure you had your franchise QB and offered gazillions? 

They won a couple super bowls? Might want to review Kap's contract there sport

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, madmartigan said:

Far far away from a "no brained signing". There simply isn't enough data there to make him the highest paid player in the league. He may prove out to be fantastic, but to make a player (especially a QB) that played 5 games for you the highest paid player in the league is a tremendous risk. He might be really good, he might not be, but the only conclusion I can draw is I don't know for sure. You only give a player that kind of money if you're pretty damn certain he's the real deal. This is a big risk, not a "no brained signing". 

So they should have said, “sorry, you’ll have to find another place to play.” Again, it’s absolutely the only choice....and there’s plenty of data, he’s not suddenly going to become inaccurate, forget how to read defenses etc etc....there was no choice. And that’s your conclusion-you must struggle with the game and QB position evaluation-he’s a top 5 QB today and will move up. Who would you take over him at the position today? Go struggle with the list. He'd be right at the top of all 32 NFL teams if starting a franchise today.

He’s one play away from a career ending injury- that’s the risk as it always is in football, with any big money signing.

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

They won a couple super bowls? Might want to review Kap's contract there sport

Um, the last time they offered gazillions was to Kap, and last I checked Kap sent them to the Super Bowl where they lost. And that was BEFORE his big number contract we're talking about. Yes, Kap's contract was very very Niner friendly, and they luckily didn't get hurt too bad by it.

That experience should be a lessen to them not to gamble with gazillions with a more player friendly contract like I understand this new one to be. If it's not player friendly, then they covered themselves to a certain degree. But there's always some guaranteed money with these big deals. Kap looked like a sure thing, a long time NFL star, and it went right down the pooper. 

kat.jpg

2 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

Um, the last time they offered gazillions was to Kap, and last I checked Kap sent them to the Super Bowl where they lost. And that was BEFORE his big number contract we're talking about. Yes, Kap's contract was very very Niner friendly, and they luckily didn't get hurt too bad by it.

That experience should be a lessen to them not to gamble with gazillions with a more player friendly contract like I understand this new one to be. If it's not player friendly, then they covered themselves to a certain degree. But there's always some guaranteed money with these big deals. Kap looked like a sure thing, a long time NFL star, and it went right down the pooper. 

They paid Kap less than half of what this deal is worth and it had little guaranteed money. He got paid less than most starting QBs, less than, for example, Bradford, Cutler, Glennon, and Dalton. Come on man. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, creeper86 said:

And that’s your conclusion-you must struggle with the game and QB position evaluation-he’s a top 5 QB today and will move up. Who would you take over him at the position today? Go struggle with the list.

1. He's not a top 5 quarterback...he's on par (statistically through 5 games) with Russell Wilson (top-half of the league).  Not as good as Jared Goff (both of those guys in the same division).

2. You could take any of the 1st round guys (Allen, Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield) and pay them 25% what this guy is going to make, then spend the rest on the 25th ranked defense. 

1 hour ago, creeper86 said:

So they should have said, “sorry, you’ll have to find another place to play.” Again, it’s absolutely the only choice....and there’s plenty of data, he’s not suddenly going to become inaccurate, forget how to read defenses etc etc....there was no choice. And that’s your conclusion-you must struggle with the game and QB position evaluation-he’s a top 5 QB today and will move up. Who would you take over him at the position today? Go struggle with the list. He'd be right at the top of all 32 NFL teams if starting a franchise today.

He’s one play away from a career ending injury- that’s the risk as it always is in football, with any big money signing.

I don't disagree in signing him, I disagree with the bit where they paid him more than any other player in the league. You have your red-rimmed glasses on if you think he is a top 5 QB based on the very limited sample size. Here's the list of guys that have done it for longer and better than Jimmy: Wentz, Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Ryan, Roethlisberger, Wilson. That's just a few, you could make a case for several more.

You're taking a guy that threw 7 TDs against 5 INTs over ANY of the 32 QBS in the league? Those aren't world-beating numbers. Again, I'm not saying that he won't be fantastic, he certainly has the traits and there's promise. I just don't think you can pay him like he IS elite when has yet to prove it on the field. Hell, Dak Prescott had a great first full year before crashing down to earth last year. People were ready to crown him too. Let's wait until Jimmy has at least an entire full year of being good before we say we'd take him over anybody. Consistency over a long period of time is what matters at the QB position. He just doesn't have the track record yet to support the claims you're making. DCs will have film on him this year and it will get harder. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

18 hours ago, creeper86 said:

A no brained signing. Kid is legit and barring injury will earn his pay. 

If you watched him you saw a can’t miss QB with all the intangibles. If you didn’t, you post stupidity like the OP. Should have  given him 140.

Belichik and the Pats made a mistake-they got rid of the wrong guy. He should have pulled a Bill Walsh and his decision to go with Young and move on without Montana. Not easy, but would have been the smart move.

What you said.

Jimmy G beat SDSU as a senior at EIU and the game wasn't even close. The kid's the real deal and I couldn't believe it when I heard the Pats had been willing to trade him.

Camel toe cheerleader and the other haters also ignore that only about half of the money in his new contract is guaranteed.

Boom goes the dynamite.

29 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

1. He's not a top 5 quarterback...he's on par (statistically through 5 games) with Russell Wilson (top-half of the league).  Not as good as Jared Goff (both of those guys in the same division).

2. You could take any of the 1st round guys (Allen, Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield) and pay them 25% what this guy is going to make, then spend the rest on the 25th ranked defense. 

Again, please answer this very basic question,  if you can follow the hypothetical... which QB would you sign to be your franchise QB in today's game?  Eager to see your list..... and, please...... JG >>>>>> Goff.  Obviously you're one of the guys who didn't watch a niner-JG snap. #statguy

1 hour ago, Lester_in_reno said:

the signing appears crazy.

But he looked solid and they had to so something because the 49'er fans are staying away.

But now other teams have actual  game film on him.

Rams are still very good, Seahawks still good with some tweaks on D .

The Seahawks OLINE is a disaster and they couldn't run the ball without Marshawn. The team to beat is clearly LA

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

Guest RoscoesDad
32 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

I don't disagree in signing him, I disagree with the bit where they paid him more than any other player in the league. You have your red-rimmed glasses on if you think he is a top 5 QB based on the very limited sample size. Here's the list of guys that have done it for longer and better than Jimmy: Wentz, Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Ryan, Roethlisberger, Wilson. That's just a few, you could make a case for several more.

You're taking a guy that threw 7 TDs against 5 INTs over ANY of the 32 QBS in the league? Those aren't world-beating numbers. Again, I'm not saying that he won't be fantastic, he certainly has the traits and there's promise. I just don't think you can pay him like he IS elite when has yet to prove it on the field. Hell, Dak Prescott had a great first full year before crashing down to earth last year. People were ready to crown him too. Let's wait until Jimmy has at least an entire full year of being good before we say we'd take him over anybody. Consistency over a long period of time is what matters at the QB position. He just doesn't have the track record yet to support the claims you're making. DCs will have film on him this year and it will get harder. 

Every GM and scout in the NFL disagrees with your take about JGQ.  So there's that.

1 hour ago, Lester_in_reno said:

the signing appears crazy.

But he looked solid and they had to so something because the 49'er fans are staying away.

But now other teams have actual  game film on him.

Rams are still very good, Seahawks still good with some tweaks on D .

Game film was needed to address a former 49er QB who came from a college offense and gave NFL defensive coaches fits - it was new and the QB was a great runner..... but once they caught up, they shut him down... because CK wasn't accurate so they just spied his running threat. Without accuracy, a great read of NFL Ds, you can't get the ball out and into the tight windows.  Game film on JG just confirms this guy can look off defenses, hit tight windows, and give defenses fits..... not much can be done to address this.  NFL QBs must do what JG can to have success; this is a pocket passing league where accuracy is king.

40 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

this is a questionable take at best. Drafting QB's is an artform and even the best swing and miss. Systems and situations often determing the success of a QB draft pick and what they've found in Jimmy G is hard to replicate. The premium price is just the cost of doing business in today's NFL, like it or not. The Niner defense has some pieces to build around and plenty of draft picks left to address voids at OL, WR and the Secondary.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

36 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

If they didn't pay him the demand he was gone..... yes, his success and running off late year wins gave fans much hope-imagine letting him go..... there wasn't a choice.  Do you think the Niners said, "yo, anything you want JG-you set the amount?"  No, this was the negotiated sum.

55 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

So you think there is no chance he could improve with the benefit of an off season to study his offense? 

2 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Kap looked like a sure thing, a long time NFL star, and it went right down the pooper. 

No, he really didn't... .he looked like a different QB, a unique and intriguing one who could run like no-one the league had seen... and he had a great early run....but his passing ability was always suspect-very inaccurate.  He, along with many others now, showed that this league always has and will continue to require accuracy and timing. Again, JG is  your prototype who has succeeded in the league forever; Kap was the new QB of the future, which is no longer the case. Come with passing skills or leave the league in a hurry. The look of a sure thing is JG.

45 minutes ago, RoscoesDad said:

Every GM and scout in the NFL disagrees with your take about JGQ.  So there's that.

Really? I didn’t know every GM and  Scouts opinion in the NFL were public knowledge for you to know that. I’m sure some felt it a good move and stated as much, but I don’t buy into your hyperbolic statement at all. I hope it works out for you Niners fans and Jimmy, but lets pump the brakes just a bit on him and his greatness in meriting so much cash.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.