Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

USA as a Democracy - The Economist

We were never a full democracy and that’s not a bad thing.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Or am I missing something about this?

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Someone with a subscription to the economist needs to clarify.

Political culture, how do they define that? How subjective is that? Also the functioning of government, what are the standards there? Which civil liberties?

We were never designed to award pluralism for good reasons. And our mediocre political participation can be chalked up to the freedom to do as one pleases, which I think is a higher ideal than forced participation for the sake of “democracy”.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

10 hours ago, mugtang said:

Hmm Darth, the parameters of their "White Paper" are "electoral process and pluralism; civil liberties; the functioning of government; political participation; and political culture. Based on their scores on 60 indicators within these categories, each country is then itself classified as one of four types of regime: full democracy; flawed democracy; hybrid regime; and authoritarian regime."

Shouldn't the US, self-professed leader of the world, purveyor of truth, justice and the "American way", be higher than "flawed democracy"?

:shrug:

And that would be a bad thing?  Donny's fav country, Norway, took 1st! 

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

11 hours ago, mugtang said:

Or am I missing something about this?

You're missing something

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

11 hours ago, mugtang said:

I sometimes imagine a world in which the Republicans are the liberal urban party and the Democrats are the conservative rural party where it's the whiny liberal pedants making useless clarifications, as if using the greek form of "rule of the people" makes a huge difference as opposed to using the latin form

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

11 minutes ago, happycamper said:

I sometimes imagine a world in which the Republicans are the liberal urban party and the Democrats are the conservative rural party where it's the whiny liberal pedants making useless clarifications, as if using the greek form of "rule of the people" makes a huge difference as opposed to using the latin form

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

I mean every liberal democracy is a representative democracy. They both mean rule+people. The Oxford definitions are just re-arrangements of each other. 

It's just connotations from our stupidly named parties

1 minute ago, happycamper said:

I mean every liberal democracy is a representative democracy. They both mean rule+people. The Oxford definitions are just re-arrangements of each other. 

It's just connotations from our stupidly named parties

We should rename our political parties to “The Blubbering Idiots” and “The Blubbering Morons”.  Take your pick of who’s who. 

2 minutes ago, mugtang said:

We should rename our political parties to “The Blubbering Idiots” and “The Blubbering Morons”.  Take your pick of who’s who. 

Sex Crim Party and the Paid for By Wall Street party

Just now, happycamper said:

Sex Crim Party and the Paid for By Wall Street party

Seems interchangeable as well 

It is kind of funny that the whole reason the United States set up parliamentary style democracies in Korea, Japan, Germany, Iraq,  etc... was to insure the governments remained weak and non-aggressive.   They can't make changes fast if at all to changing situations and they certainly can't create a military state.

In my own personal experience, having lived in three different countries, the level of individual freedom or "democracy" completely depends on what you're looking at. For instance, I find it interesting that Canada and the Nordic countries score so high on "democracy" when in fact certain political parties and ideological speech are banned. I'm also surprised that the Netherlands didn't score higher as they're one of the more free societies in all of Europe (and the world for that matter) aside from their strict gun control laws. In the US, the biggest authoritarian issues our society faces include ridiculous morality laws, lack of due process and equality in the justice system, and a primary voting process for the executive branch that is both elitist and unbalanced as millions of voters don't have a real say in who runs in the general election. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg