Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spazdog

Who's boycotting the Super Bowl?

I'm not sure if I will watch.

I fully support the players who are kneeling to protest the treatment of minorities in this country, the judicial inequities,  the profiling, the racism.

My issue is with the violence of the sport, the long term health consequences to the players. I'm struggling with taking enjoyment from such......barbarism.  Yes, they agree to play and earn money. But watching injury after injury, listening to the power in the hits and knowing each hit extracts some damage to the brain. I really struggle with enjoying watching that kind of punishment, voluntary or not. 

One of the Final Five..........

I will not be watching, but the reason is not because of taking a knee, some of it is the over hype, the silly announcers. Football season ends for me when the college season ends. I do not watch pro football at all.

I understand the racial problems in this country given my family, let me say that there is much to be done and people need to be aware of it, but there is a better ways of solving the problem than calling attention to yourself, and pissing off many people, some of the people you piss off fought to give you the right to protest.

Funny thing is I know guys who are boycotting for the opposite reason: that the NFL is controlled by racist owners who refused to sign Kaepernick.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

Guest RoscoesDad
21 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

Funny thing is I know guys who are boycotting for the opposite reason: that the NFL is controlled by racist owners who refused to sign Kaepernick.

Oh yeah that's true.  Take a trip over to the root for the other end of the spectrum on race issues.  Some people here would have a heart attack. 

16 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Boycott?  The whole kneeling thing and refusing to allow a vet group to run an ad encouraging standing for the national anthem makes me want to boycott, but I can't.  Boycotting would imply taking a political position on something that I would support if not for some related issues.  I realized that I just couldn't give a crap about this years game aside from political reasons. Goodell and Co. have made the NFL almost exciting as watching paint dry for me.  I'm not watching, but I'm not going to take the activist stance and call it a boycott either.

The NFL under Goodell is pathetic in so many ways. But as far as the vet group, the NFL is a business, after all, and they have a right to protect it. This ad just keeps the controversy going, and that hurts the NFL. Why would any business be OK with sabotaging themselves? No one has a right to run a Super Bowl ad, and denying someone doesn't mean there's any kind of violation of free speech. 

kat.jpg

15 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

Anyone who likes to watch football and is boycotting the superbowl is a complete moron.

I’m boycotting.  I love football but I don’t appreciate our flag and anthem being disrespected. I’m curious why, in your opinion, this makes me a “complete moron.”

3 hours ago, mysfit said:

I'm not sure if I will watch.

I fully support the players who are kneeling to protest the treatment of minorities in this country, the judicial inequities,  the profiling, the racism.

My issue is with the violence of the sport, the long term health consequences to the players. I'm struggling with taking enjoyment from such......barbarism.  Yes, they agree to play and earn money. But watching injury after injury, listening to the power in the hits and knowing each hit extracts some damage to the brain. I really struggle with enjoying watching that kind of punishment, voluntary or not. 

Pink snowflake. 

kat.jpg

31 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

The NFL under Goodell is pathetic in so many ways. But as far as the vet group, the NFL is a business, after all, and they have a right to protect it. This ad just keeps the controversy going, and that hurts the NFL. Why would any business be OK with sabotaging themselves? No one has a right to run a Super Bowl ad, and denying someone doesn't mean there's any kind of violation of free speech. 

I never said they were violating free speech.  They did however make a statement that their values weren't in concert with mine.  When a business does that their customers get to weigh whether they want to support that business or not.  I don't.

Like I said though, doesn't really matter.  Two teams I couldn't give a crap about.

About the only pro sport I watch anymore is MLB.  Otherwise, I prefer college.  And I have several reasons for not watching the NFL.  There is the kneeling thing, but a supervisor at work who was a Nevada State Trooper for 10 years mentioned the rampant criminality that the players get away with these days.

Is it fitting or irony that possibly the most versatile word in the English language is also of unknown origin?

5810036134_cb4d739b38_b.jpg