Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Del Scorcho

OT: PAC 12 proposing going from 18 to 20 hoop conference games

Nevada is IN.  I guess you could argue Boise is on the bubble and SDSU isn't but there are still a number of weeks left in the season.

https://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/standings/conference/MWC

Per the RPI listed next to conference standings above, Boise State is 42nd in RPI and Wyoming is 59th so if Boise State faced Wyoming in the conference tournament final and Wyoming won, the MW would have three teams deserving NCAA bids based on RPI and other computer ratings like Sagarin.

Just now, Bruininthebay said:

Nevada is IN.  I guess you could argue Boise is on the bubble and SDSU isn't but there are still a number of weeks left in the season.

If someone other than Nevada or Boise wins the MW auto bid, that likely means Boise ate a bad loss (something they cannot afford as they are treading Last 4 In waters) and would be bumped out. 

2 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

Boise State has only beaten Oregon.

UConn beat Oregon is a terrible year for them.

I'm trying to see the significant wins in that resume. Lost horribly at SMU. 

ysOR4zJ.gif

off topic @Bruininthebay, but Joe Pasternack spent six years as an Associate Head Coach at Arizona and seven years as an assistant at Cal.  It wouldn't be too much of a shock if he was able to leveraged his relationship from his days in the Pac 12, to get a H&H or at least a 2 for 1 for UCSB from a Colorado, Utah, Cal, USC type program.  Who knows?  Maybe Sean Miller throws him a bone and schedules a 2 for 1.

5 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

off topic @Bruininthebay, but Joe Pasternack spent six years as an Associate Head Coach at Arizona and seven years as an assistant at Cal.  It wouldn't be too much of a shock if he was able to leveraged his relationship from his days in the Pac 12, to get a H&H or at least a 2 for 1 for UCSB from a Colorado, Utah, Cal, USC type program.  Who knows?  Maybe Sean Miller throws him a bone and schedules a 2 for 1.

You forgot about the wildfires.  Everyone's terrified of being burned to a crisp in their car on the freeway or buried alive in mud now.  Or after a tsunami from an earthquake.

1 minute ago, Bruininthebay said:

You forgot about the wildfires.  Everyone's terrified of being buried alive in mud now.

that's a statewide issue.

20 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

https://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/standings/conference/MWC

Per the RPI listed next to conference standings above, Boise State is 42nd in RPI and Wyoming is 59th so if Boise State faced Wyoming in the conference tournament final and Wyoming won, the MW would have three teams deserving NCAA bids based on RPI and other computer ratings like Sagarin.

Let's see if i understand.  Boise and Nevada still have a game against each other.  Both are sitting with 4 losses.  After that head to head, best case for both teams is one has 4 losses and one has 5 losses.  Then both win out and lose in tourney, giving them 5 and 6 losses respectively.  So you think the committee will take a Wyoming, plus a 5 loss MWC team, plus a 6 loss MWC team.  And that's if everything went perfect to get to that scenario.  As an NMSU fan,  i would love to see the committee take another mid major over a double digit loss team from the ACC.  It's also better for teams out west in general.  I just don't see that kind of respect though by the committee.  In Boise's case,  they still have games against UNLV (144), UNM (150), USU (145), Air Force (244), and CSU (172).  That won't help them get a much higher RPI.  

29 minutes ago, Gabe H. Cuod said:

You included St Johns in that statement and I'm the moron? LOL.

Mullin is their coach because he's the last vestige of their relevance. Do you even watch basketball.

When you include St Johns, that opens the door to bring Houston into the discussion. 

Seriously dude do you even know your CBB history?

Yes, Phi Slamma Jamma has name recognition. The BE, as an aggregate, has more than the AAC. Uconn, Cincy, Temple, and Houston << Nova, Georgetown, Marquette, Creighton, St. John's. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

13 minutes ago, alum93 said:

Let's see if i understand.  Boise and Nevada still have a game against each other.  Both are sitting with 4 losses.  After that head to head, best case for both teams is one has 4 losses and one has 5 losses.  Then both win out and lose in tourney, giving them 5 and 6 losses respectively.  So you think the committee will take a Wyoming, plus a 5 loss MWC team, plus a 6 loss MWC team.  And that's if everything went perfect to get to that scenario.  As an NMSU fan,  i would love to see the committee take another mid major over a double digit loss team from the ACC.  It's also better for teams out west in general.  I just don't see that kind of respect though by the committee.  In Boise's case,  they still have games against UNLV (144), UNM (150), USU (145), Air Force (244), and CSU (172).  That won't help them get a much higher RPI.  

Gonzaga is 59th in RPI and overrated.  If they get in, it's based on national reputation because they aren't good this year.

Same for UCLA this year as well.

5 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

Gonzaga is 59th in RPI and overrated.  If they get in, it's based on national reputation because they aren't good this year.

Same for UCLA this year as well.

That's what happens when you win games in NCAA tourney for multiple years.  You gain a reputation.  

UCLA is from a power conference.  No comparison in the eyes of the committee.   If it's close over a MWC team, they get the nod.

Like i said,  it's a good thing for teams out west if the MWC could get 3 teams in, which obviously includes somebody not named Nevada or Boise winning tourney.  8 combined losses to date of top 2 teams is going to make it tough.  Plus odds are one of those 2 win the MWC tourney anyway.  My upset pick would be UNLV.

18 minutes ago, alum93 said:

That's what happens when you win games in NCAA tourney for multiple years.  You gain a reputation.  

UCLA is from a power conference.  No comparison in the eyes of the committee.   If it's close over a MWC team, they get the nod.

Like i said,  it's a good thing for teams out west if the MWC could get 3 teams in, which obviously includes somebody not named Nevada or Boise winning tourney.  8 combined losses to date of top 2 teams is going to make it tough.  Plus odds are one of those 2 win the MWC tourney anyway.  My upset pick would be UNLV.

scratching head, trying to figure out what you just said?   UCLA has been to 33 sweet sixteens.  Just guessing but I think UCLA has a bit of a reputation

15 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

scratching head, trying to figure out what you just said?   UCLA has been to 33 sweet sixteens.  Just guessing but I think UCLA has a bit of a reputation

It was a reply to a comment on Gonzaga in the first part, and a response to UCLA in the second. 

Yes, i am well aware of UCLA's post season history.  They beat NMSU when we went to our one and only Final Four.  Right after some guy named Lew Alcindor left school.  

Just now, alum93 said:

It was a reply to a comment on Gonzaga in the first part, and a response to UCLA in the second. 

Yes, i am well aware of UCLA's post season history.  They beat NMSU when we went to our one and only Final Four.  Right after some guy named Lew Alcindor left school.  

okay my bad, I misunderstood

Just now, Del Scorcho said:

okay my bad, I misunderstood

They also knocked off the 1992 NMSU Sweet Sixteen team in the PIT.  Point guard Sam Crawford lead the nation in assists.  UCLA beat us 85-78.  The NCAA later took that run away, punishment  for McCarthy's assistants.  Here is a little info... 

NMSU defeated the Ragin’ Cajuns 81-73 to advance to the regionals, and faced the top-ranked UCLA Bruins the next weekend in Albuquerque, New Mexico, in front of a very pro-Aggie crowd inside The Pit. The Cinderella Aggies hung tough, but fell to the Bruins 85-78, ending NMSU’s magical run with a 25-8 record.

McCarthy coached at NMSU for six more years before resigning as head coach and assistant athletic director. An investigation was eventually conducted in response to accusations that some of McCarthy’s assistants helped a couple of players on exams. As a result, NMSU was placed on probation for academic misconduct and had to vacate the Sweet 16 appearance.

6 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Adding two more conference games would not benefit us.

5 hours ago, alum93 said:

I can understand a P5 conference voting to play more conference games.  I do not see the logic in a mid major like the MWC wanting to.  Even if most teams struggle to get P5 teams to schedule them,  there are still a few that can use every extra high profile name they can play, especially if you are on the bubble.  Playing 2 extra MWC games doesn't gain you anything.  Scheduling and knocking off 1 or 2 P5 schools does.  That seems like a much better better goal at least.

Let's see...if all the P5 schools are going to 20 then there are going to be really less chance of the MW getting any P5 school...especially at home.  Keep in mind that RPI is the end all anymore and there are other factors and formulas now added in the committee's decision.  

I think we'll go to 20 games sooner rather than later because mostly we will have to. 

Looking at New Mexico and UNLV OOC this year.  Playing AF and SJSU twice would actually be better in the RPI terms.  New Mexico had UTEP (306) and Rice (328).  AF (243) and SJSU (295) is better for RPI sakes. UNLV had Rice (328) and FAMU (339).   So yes, even with SJSU and AF and going to 20 games will benefit  the MW more is you are concerned about RPI...but like I said...that stat isn't used as it was before.   

Probably another note to take into consideration, having 2 less OOC allows teams to be more selective to choose quality teams rather than trying to fill in 2 spots where you are playing300+ rpi team anyway.  Not only that, but having more conference games would be better for TV/MW Network viewing.  It'll mean more to the fans.    

16 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

Let's see...if all the P5 schools are going to 20 then there are going to be really less chance of the MW getting any P5 school...especially at home.  Keep in mind that RPI is the end all anymore and there are other factors and formulas now added in the committee's decision.  

I think we'll go to 20 games sooner rather than later because mostly we will have to. 

Looking at New Mexico and UNLV OOC this year.  Playing AF and SJSU twice would actually be better in the RPI terms.  New Mexico had UTEP (306) and Rice (328).  AF (243) and SJSU (295) is better for RPI sakes. UNLV had Rice (328) and FAMU (339).   So yes, even with SJSU and AF and going to 20 games will benefit  the MW more is you are concerned about RPI...but like I said...that stat isn't used as it was before.   

Probably another note to take into consideration, having 2 less OOC allows teams to be more selective to choose quality teams rather than trying to fill in 2 spots where you are playing300+ rpi team anyway.  Not only that, but having more conference games would be better for TV/MW Network viewing.  It'll mean more to the fans.    

UNLV and New Mexico can get marquee teams to play at their place.  The other schools may benefit, but not those two or San Diego State.

I still believe that the season will be expanded by two games.

19 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

menzies scheduled that way by choice for this year, not because we couldn't get anybody better. after coming off the worst season in school history, and getting pummeled by duke, kansas, and oregon the year before, menzies felt that his team needed to gain some confidence. most of this was scheduled before he landed mccoy, juiston, and hardy. i personally hope he never schedules that way again, regardless of who is on the team. (and btw, rice was going to be decent, until they lost their coach and most of their recruits, left them in the same situation menzies came into.)