Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Del Scorcho

OT: PAC 12 proposing going from 18 to 20 hoop conference games

Currently only one preseason tournament per Team can be scheduled. 

Although it says one, most schools can play two pre season tournaments by playing a round robin format where the number of games is certain. Now, schools play the round robin first and then play a single elimination tournament that is more competitive.  

If a number of major conferences went to 20+ game schedules, the NCAA might allow two exempt pre season tournaments.

So far the Pac 12 board response is highly in favor of 20 and supports my suggestion of 22.  http://www.pac12board.com/index.php?/topic/7611-pac-12-considering-20-game-conference-basketball-schedule-instead-of-18/

I can understand a P5 conference voting to play more conference games.  I do not see the logic in a mid major like the MWC wanting to.  Even if most teams struggle to get P5 teams to schedule them,  there are still a few that can use every extra high profile name they can play, especially if you are on the bubble.  Playing 2 extra MWC games doesn't gain you anything.  Scheduling and knocking off 1 or 2 P5 schools does.  That seems like a much better better goal at least.

1 hour ago, Bruininthebay said:

If the number of out of conference games is reduced, then I hope that the Pac 12 schedules more Mountain West / West Coast Conference games rather than Big West / Big Sky.  

Or the MW and WCC should do a series in the interest of mutually higher RPI

The MW and WCC would be in better position to demand home games in return from the mid-level teams.  Which will be really hard for the Pac to accept as they shy away from hostile environments ooc.  They lose a bit of sizzle.

Case in point, Stanford's one true nonconference road game was a loss at Long Beach State. UCLA's one true road game was a loss at Michigan.  Washington had zero true road games.  Utah had two, losses to Butler and BYU. You get the idea.  

I basically agree with your criticism @jdgaucho  

With only 7 out of conference games to schedule if your play 20 games and a pre season tournament  it's unlikely that UCLA would schedule more than one challenging out of conference road game per season so Yes, at least one early season home game against a Big West / Big Sky would stay on the schedule. Both UCLA and Arizona have traditions that mean we schedule some tough out of conference games but there are 12 schools in the Pac 12 so if the conference schedule expands I doubt other Pac 12 schools athletic directors will schedule their basketball team with a different philosophy from their football team.

To prepare for the conference season, it would be more beneficial to play good MW  and WCC opponents for all the Pac 12 schools who aren't at the top level but who knows if they actually will.

Pac 12 schools should play SDSU, Nevada and Gonzaga regularly to be gauge how good they are.  Schools that struggle like Cal would benefit from regular games against regional rivals like the bay area WCC schools (St Mary's, Pacific, San Francisco and Santa Clara) because the Cal fan base knows Cal struggles and would actually get excited about beating St. Mary's; regional rivalries require that both teams have a good chance to win for fans to get excited.

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

Uh... the Big East has never not been considered a high major conference in basketball.

You heard it here folks, the basketball season is never going to be expanded

Umm.. The AAC won a National title their first year after the split, so we can split hairs on AAC/NBE. They're spawned from the same league.

As for the MWC, 20 games is the end game.

I can see the MVC adding Murray State with the same endgame in mind.

Then throw in the MWC-MVC challenge.. and scheduling becomes easier. Best not to play the common OOC dregs we have seen early in the year.

ysOR4zJ.gif

1 minute ago, Gabe H. Cuod said:

Umm.. The AAC won a National title their first year after the split, so we can split hairs on AAC/NBE. They're spawned from the same league.

As for the MWC, 20 games is the end game.

I can see the MVC adding Murray State with the same endgame in mind.

Then throw in the MWC-MVC challenge.. and scheduling becomes easier. Best not to play the common OOC dregs we have seen early in the year.

The AAC is considered a tweener league.

Why would 20 games be the end game? It's more games against worse teams! The high majors and mid majors schedule differently for good reason

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

3 minutes ago, happycamper said:

The AAC is considered a tweener league.

Why would 20 games be the end game? It's more games against worse teams! The high majors and mid majors schedule differently for good reason

You can think that but the AAC has more brand names then the NBE. 

If you're alluding to recent performance, those peaks and valleys happen. The Pac 12 is in a valley this year.

"Tweener" "Big" "Major" etc are all made up 'titles'.. 

ysOR4zJ.gif

According to Sagarin the only thing that the American is between are the Pac 12 and the Mountain West.  I'd say any the MW and the American are considered major conferences in basketball because being FBS conferences makes the sports media aware of them.

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaab/sagarin/2018/conference/

Pac 12 is #6, American is #7 and MW is #8 according to USA Today.  WCC is #11.

If you include the Big East (which most do) in the definition of major college basketball then you should include the American, and if you are including the American then you should include the MW.  

1 minute ago, Bruininthebay said:

According to Sagarin the only thing that the American is between are the Pac 12 and the Mountain West.  I'd say any the MW and the American are considered major conferences in basketball because being FBS conferences makes the sports media aware of them.

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaab/sagarin/2018/conference/

Pac 12 is #6, American is #7 and MW is #8 according to USA Today.  WCC is #11.

If you include the Big East (which most do) in the definition of major college basketball then you should include the American, and if you are including the American then you should include the MW.  

American is probably looking at 4 bids (and UConn and Memphis are in a down part of their cycle)

Pac probably gets 3.

MW probably 1

ysOR4zJ.gif

4 minutes ago, Gabe H. Cuod said:

You can think that but the AAC has more brand names then the NBE. 

If you're alluding to recent performance, those peaks and valleys happen. The Pac 12 is in a valley this year.

"Tweener" "Big" "Major" etc are all made up 'titles'.. 

What? More "brand names" than Nova, Marquette, Xavier? Than Creighton and Georgetown? Than St John's? 

Lol you are a moron

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

3 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

Georgetown + Villanova > Uconn.  

That's absurd. Wichita State has more brand awareness right now then Georgetown. Programs like Memphis, Temple, Cincinnati, etc, have more brand awareness then the run o the mill Catholic.

We're talking about teams with extensive F4 E8 histories

ysOR4zJ.gif

5 minutes ago, Gabe H. Cuod said:

American is probably looking at 4 bids (and UConn and Memphis are in a down part of their cycle)

Pac probably gets 3.

MW probably 1

Nevada and Boise State are both getting in.  SDSU is still on the bubble but lacks momentum.  

MW is definitely getting two bids

St Mary's and Gonzaga are in, BYU on the bubble per usual...

4 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

Nevada and Boise State are both getting in.  SDSU is still on the bubble but lacks momentum.  

MW is definitely getting two bids

St Mary's and Gonzaga are in, BYU on the bubble per usual...

Not only are you saying 2 MWC teams are in, but 3 are possible.  I say not a chance on 3, and 2 is possible but no guarantee.  

7 minutes ago, happycamper said:

What? More "brand names" than Nova, Marquette, Xavier? Than Creighton and Georgetown? Than St John's? 

Lol you are a moron

You included St Johns in that statement and I'm the moron? LOL.

Mullin is their coach because he's the last vestige of their relevance. Do you even watch basketball.

When you include St Johns, that opens the door to bring Houston into the discussion. 

Seriously dude do you even know your CBB history?

ysOR4zJ.gif