Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kingpotato

Leon at it again. Trying to sell out UNLV

Wow.. He’s been here 8 years already? I remember him coming into a bare cupboard left by Greg Graham and having like 6-7 scholarships to give when he got here and he ended up with some star players. The Graham years were up 1 year down the next. Just enough to taste a conference title but never enough to unseat Nevada or USU.

58 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

Wow.. He’s been here 8 years already? I remember him coming into a bare cupboard left by Greg Graham and having like 6-7 scholarships to give when he got here and he ended up with some star players. The Graham years were up 1 year down the next. Just enough to taste a conference title but never enough to unseat Nevada or USU.

I sometimes wonder if Greg Graham is still asleep somewhere inside Taco Bell Arena. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

5 hours ago, RedheadRebel said:

Rice was a douche in that win against UNLV a few years back, but I think he's a pretty darn good coach and I can't fault him for just trying to generate some interest amongst the fanbase. The guy is making an effort.

I agree with this. he looks like he's having some fun.

6 minutes ago, RiverCityBronco said:

Greg Graham was like having Eeyore as a basketball coach. TBA was a mausoleum during his time as a coach, but it was easy to get tickets and a good parking spot.  

@Dr. Dre's Mom is easy too but that isn't always a good thing.

So glad Boise State canned Graham before the program completely died. Rice is the best coach we've ever had -- way better than Bobby Dye. 

39 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

I remember WAC fans telling us how stupid we were for firing Graham after winning the WAC two years prior.

Winning the WAC in any sport was no great feat.  I was dumbfounded by the Bronco fans that kept making excuses for him.  Graham was kept around about 2 years too long, but the timing of his departure allowed us to get Rice.  

5812325074_d6d40a5a2c_b.jpg

13 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

image.png.cb0584582b64743d3d92c2b42a4da369.png

Funny thing is .. hard to tell if that is a bitmapped image or an animated gif. The man barely moved or breathed during a game. 

When Urban Meyer came to Utah in 2003, our attendance was fickle at best.. He did all kinds of things to get the fans involved.. Free tickets, promotions, media hype...He also really got the students invested and accountable.. School songs, development of the MUSS.. Etc..

It worked.. Utah's attendance has been solid and packed ever since.. Even in losing years..

This kind of stuff works if you have a solid product... Hats off to Rice for going above and beyond.

I don't care enough to look it up, but I'm guessing Leon has incentives in his contact tied to sellouts. Wading across a river for a couple grand is easy money, and as others have said, builds exposure for the program. I'd love to have a coach with a pulse on the sidelines. 

16 minutes ago, BruceJones said:

Leon Rice acts small time because he is a small time coach at a small time bball program.  He has been there for 8 years because he has ZERO NCAA success and doesn't recruit elite talent.

This sock puppet hasn’t been dusted off for quite a while. 

1 hour ago, mondego said:

I don't care enough to look it up, but I'm guessing Leon has incentives in his contact tied to sellouts. Wading across a river for a couple grand is easy money, and as others have said, builds exposure for the program. I'd love to have a coach with a pulse on the sidelines. 

Nope - but he does recognize the importance of the crowd on making it a tougher environment to play.  His salary this year is $675k with the following bonuses (and some for APR as well)

image.png