Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

Sports OT: Is Tony Bennett the best coach in the ACC?

I still haven't seen Virginia in the Final Four even though they have had many teams good enough to get there.  The two times he has coached the ACC champions, he hasn't made it out of the Sweet 16.  Five trips to the NCAA Tournament, including 2 as a 1 seed, and he has never outperformed his seeding.  In fact, he has only matched it twice and one of those is when he went out the first round just like what was supposed to happen.

16 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

I still haven't seen Virginia in the Final Four even though they have had many teams good enough to get there.  The two times he has coached the ACC champions, he hasn't made it out of the Sweet 16.  Five trips to the NCAA Tournament, including 2 as a 1 seed, and he has never outperformed his seeding.  In fact, he has only matched it twice and one of those is when he went out the first round just like what was supposed to happen.

As I’ve said before, talent is more important than coaching.  Coaching is the most important in conference play.  In the tournament, it’s usually the most talented teams who win.  Virginia probably isn’t even top ten in talent.

22 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

As I’ve said before, talent is more important than coaching.  Coaching is the most important in conference play.  In the tournament, it’s usually the most talented teams who win.  Virginia probably isn’t even top ten in talent.

Do you consider evaluating and recruiting "talent", part of coaching?

Coach K is #1.

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

Lol the last 3 finals have been by a mix of senior laden, or at least heavily experienced, teams with the 1 and done reliers bowing out early. It's almost like you need both

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

52 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Head to head, Bennett is inferior to K, and even with Roy.

So what?  Coach K gets better players.  Judging a coach on his record alone is silly.  Coaching is about getting the most out of what you have.

4 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

So what?  Coach K gets better players.  Judging a coach on his record alone is silly.  Coaching is about getting the most out of what you have.

Okay, well lets compare him directly to Roy then.

Recruiting Rankings

UNC - 7 (65.91)
UVA - 15 (61.75)

UNC - 12 (63.96)
UVA - 39 (48.99)

UNC - 6 (66.55)
UVA - 15 (63.65)

UNC - 15 (61.48)
UVA - 53 (42.36)

UNC - 10 (65.06)
UVA - 32 (53.46)

UNC - 70 (41.84)
UVA - 62 (44.57)

UNC - 14 (62.95)
UVA - 7 (66.0)

UNC - 18 (57.11)
UVA - 99 (30.15)

Average
UNC - 60.60
UVA - 51.37

So, Roy did have, on average, better recruiting classes than Bennett has... that being said, the difference aren't ridiculous either. Now, let's look at the tournament results.

2009-2010
UNC - NIT Runner-Up
UVA - DNQ Postseason

2010-2011
UNC - Elite Eight
UVA - DNQ Postseason

2011-2012
UNC - Elite Eight
UVA - NCAA Round of 64

2012-2013
UNC - Round of 32
UVA - NIT Quarterfinals

2013-2014
UNC - Round of 32
UVA - NCAA Sweet Sixteen

2014-2015
UNC - Sweet Sixteen
UVA - NCAA Round of 32

2015-2016
UNC - Runner Up
UVA - NCAA Elite Eight

2016-2017 
UNC - NCAA Champions
UVA - NCAA Round of 32

So, I'd say that Roy has been the better recruiter --- recruiting is part of being the head coach --- as well as being the better head coach when it comes to results in the NCAA tournament. I also don't think that Roy has been the best coach in the ACC during that time period, as that (unfortunately for me) goes to Coach K in my opinion. 

30 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Or maybe he gets the best players because he's the best coach?