Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LoboMan59

OK DirecTV, You’re Outta Here!

The new Roku Stadium app had USD content under all SDSU tags. No SDSU content at all.

SMH

No Respect

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 1/26/2018 at 7:19 PM, Lobo Amor said:

$819?   

$40 × 12 months = $480

$480 + $339 for Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon = $819

5809184128_5cf90ed7dc_b.jpg

As a sports fan and as a fan of a MWC team, I concluded Hulu TV was the best value at $39.99 per month. It comes with all the ESPNs, CBSSN, SEC, Big 10,FSN, FS1,FS2, NBCSN and a couple others.  All the other credible streaming services require the higher packages to get that sports content. 

Plus on HULU you get access to the huge TV series and movie on demand library (no need for Netflix)   

The only thing really missing is NFL and MLB Networks.  But I purchase Sunday ticket and MLBTV separately.

26 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

I have  used Playstation Vue, and Hulu on my Roku,  for a while now,  it works great. 

Also sign up for the ESPN 3 app and sometimes you can get different MWC games there too. 

Yes thank you for the reminder!

Also with your Hulu subscription you can download the WatchESPN app and get access to ESPN3 and ACC network as well plus ESPNs library of “replays” on demand.  

Between ESPN3 and Big10, I’m able to watch quite a bit of high level college wrestling that I otherwise would not be able to watch. 

On 1/26/2018 at 12:55 PM, WYO1016 said:

I cut the cord years ago when I moved in with my then-girlfriend now-wife. Here's the setup:

Antenna mounted where the satellite dish used to be on the roof and signal run through the cable outlets throughout the house (Channels I get in Cheyenne, WY: CBS, NBC, CW, PBS, ABC, FOX)

60 Mbps internet service through Charter (no throttling, no cap) - $60/month

Netflix - $13/month (4k streaming)

Hulu - $7/month

Amazon Prime - $99/year (wife had it for 2 day shipping already, so video was just an added perk)

My folks still pay for their TV, so I just use their sign in for ESPN, Fox, and other OTT supplemental services

Hardware: Amazon Fire TV Stick - $40; Amazon Fire TV - $70; TCL 40" Roku TV - $270; 1byone Omni-directional antenna - $59; Roku player - Gift; Chromecast - $35

-----

Yearly cost of DirecTV - $1440

Yearly cost of cord cutting (minus internet, because I'd have that whether or not I paid for TV) - $339

Yearly cost of cord cutting if I were to pay for Sling Blue+Orange ($40/month) - $819

One time hardware costs for cord-cutting (for my entire house) - $474 (NOTE: I acquired these devices over time. This is just what the total would be if you were to buy them all at once)

-----

Without streaming "cable" packages like YouTube TV, Hulu TV, DirecTV NOW, Sling, etc... cord cutting is INCREDIBLY cost effective. The best piece of advice I can give is find places you can stream your favorite shows (I used to use DVR a lot, but Hulu does the same thing but with a few days of delay for episode availability), use the antenna for live sports, and find other ways to catch your "must watch" games (i.e. using a friend or family member's login info, going to a sports bar, etc...) rather than signing up for what is essentially cable delivered through a web app. It is FAR more cost effective to give up live TV than shell out for these streaming packages.

The biggest key for me was not to get hung up on shows I may occasionally watch, like Sports Center. Instead, find entertainment on your OTA TV stations. When you're just looking for something to pass the time there are PLENTY of pretty entertaining options on broadcast TV

You need to contact Charter.  In most places they have moved to 100 mbps and ask for the $44.99 rate.  They will absolutely give it to you. 

I made the call... Directv is outta here as of the 15th of February! Pretty sure I’ve settles on Hulu+. My nephew turned me on to his HBONow, and I have Amazon Prime already so... then download watchespn app, and I’m set!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

On 1/25/2018 at 10:44 AM, MWC Tex said:

Do you have any other choice for internet like through the phone company?

I have AT&T and although I have 12 mbs and pay a little more, they give you 1 Tb of data per month.  

AT&T customer here too.  Recently changed my plan to Unlimited Choice along with paperless billing & autopay cut my phone bill down to $115.00 per month for two lines with 22 GB of data.  Plus you get $15 off of DirecTV Now per month or something like that.

And the kicker is that if you use DTV Now over AT&T's wireless signals, the data use for that does not count against the 22 GB limit.  Applies only to postpaid plans and does not include the same $65 prepaid AT&T plan.

1 minute ago, RogueStout said:

Satisfied with it? What's it called I want to see what channels it comes with.

Its OK. The streaming sometimes struggles during high demand periods after dinner time.  We're not sure if we are going to stay with it or find another streaming service.  The good news is that the DirectV Now service is month to month so we can easily drop it if we so choose.

1 hour ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Yep.  I have the same package.

For a sports fan, I can't make any sense why someone would opt for the $35 DirectTV Now plan over the $40 Hulu plan.  The difference is $5/month.

For that $5/month difference...on Hulu you also get CBSSN (MWC games, ESPNU (MWC games), ESPN News, FS2, Olympic Channel, Golf Channel,SEC Network, Big 10 Network, ACC network, NBCSN.

On 1/26/2018 at 11:55 AM, WYO1016 said:

find other ways to catch your "must watch" games (i.e. using a friend or family member's login info, going to a sports bar, etc...) rather than signing up for what is essentially cable delivered through a web app. It is FAR more cost effective to give up live TV than shell out for these streaming packages.

One benefit that I think you're missing is that you could sign up for one of those web-app live-streaming services by the month or for the football season, then cancel.  For DirecTV or Cable, they lock you into a year or two contract for the upgraded plan that has CBSsports, etc.  

8 hours ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Also, I’d recommend 100 mbps Internet, a tri-band router with 2-5 ghz connections (at least AC5000) and devices capable of streaming 4K. I operate mulriple TVs solely on the 5 ghz bands and really never have any interruptions. 

I just checked here in Laramie I can actually get a 100Mbps connection now for the same price as the 60 Mbps connection I had with Charter.  Must have recently added it here in Laramie.  Glad I saw you mention it on this thread.

God is a Cowboy

WYO.jpg

15 minutes ago, nirv117 said:

I just checked here in Laramie I can actually get a 100Mbps connection now for the same price as the 60 Mbps connection I had with Charter.  Must have recently added it here in Laramie.  Glad I saw you mention it on this thread.

Excellent, I hope you also got the $44.99 rate!  I've had Charter for years because it is far and away the best ISP in Wyoming...every time the "promotional" offer is up, I just go walk into the Charter building and ask really friendly for the new promotional rate and they give it to me.  I would also recommend changing out the modem with Charter because the older one you have may not actually be designed for the newer 100 MBPS speeds.