Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LaradiseCowboy

Final Nod to the Josh Allen Hype Train

Certainly it would have been great if Allen had been the #1 pick (and he wasn't far from it) but going to Cleveland as the #1 pick would be a heck of a lot of add'l pressure to overperform.  And a lot of their fans are crap.  

But going to Buffalo, which is a team I knew was interested in him but I obviously didn't know if they would be willing to trade up to get him.  Its possible they could have got him by not trading up but I think they thought another team would trade up if Bills didn't.  It should be a great situation for Allen In Buffalo, he won't be getting a lot of nat'l scrutiny like Darnold and Mayfield will get.  And there won't be the pressure for him to come out on day 1 and be a top nfl qb.   I don't expect Allen to be the starting QB for at least the first half of the season, depending how well the Bills do this year.  

All in all  a good situation!

49 minutes ago, pokerider said:

Certainly it would have been great if Allen had been the #1 pick (and he wasn't far from it) but going to Cleveland as the #1 pick would be a heck of a lot of add'l pressure to overperform.  And a lot of their fans are crap.  

But going to Buffalo, which is a team I knew was interested in him but I obviously didn't know if they would be willing to trade up to get him.  Its possible they could have got him by not trading up but I think they thought another team would trade up if Bills didn't.  It should be a great situation for Allen In Buffalo, he won't be getting a lot of nat'l scrutiny like Darnold and Mayfield will get.  And there won't be the pressure for him to come out on day 1 and be a top nfl qb.   I don't expect Allen to be the starting QB for at least the first half of the season, depending how well the Bills do this year.  

All in all  a good situation!

They do not need him to start week 1.  This is about as good a situation as you could hope for.

7 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

They do not need him to start week 1.  This is about as good a situation as you could hope for.

Who else is going to start? McCarron?

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

Buffalo should sit Allen all year.  He needs time to develop and throwing him into action can do more harm than good.  Let McCarron play.  Work with Allen on his accuracy and pocket presence, which should help slow the game down for him and bring more success

2 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

Buffalo should sit Allen all year.  He needs time to develop and throwing him into action can do more harm than good.  Let McCarron play.  Work with Allen on his accuracy and pocket presence, which should help slow the game down for him and bring more success

The difficult part to this, is how do you think Allen will stack up against McCarron in practice and drills? He absolutely crushed the combine, and pro day. 

Union.jpg.6989c32e721d578d3952602294d1af90.jpgCampus500x283.jpg.208ead7433af78ce44bb775b8561f0c7.jpg

Snowies.jpg.8548e47a8f188d64d1a93ecde4744b11.jpgIMG_1401.JPG.cfa8ec5eeb3ac75f090d8d5e59dd0805.JPG

54 minutes ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

The difficult part to this, is how do you think Allen will stack up against McCarron in practice and drills? He absolutely crushed the combine, and pro day. 

still has to learn the offense, learn how to breakdown teams on film, learn his receivers tendencies, etc.   You can't do all that in training camp.  

the coaches need to make it clear that the Bills current QB McCarron will be the QB for the Bills in 2018.  And hopefully they get along ok.  

oh btw, do you guys remember McCarron's wife Katherine Webb ?  

6 minutes ago, pokerider said:

still has to learn the offense, learn how to breakdown teams on film, learn his receivers tendencies, etc.   You can't do all that in training camp.  

the coaches need to make it clear that the Bills current QB McCarron will be the QB for the Bills in 2018.  And hopefully they get along ok.  

oh btw, do you guys remember McCarron's wife Katherine Webb ?  

I know of one old perv that won't soon forget: 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

2 hours ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

They said last night that he would be immediately competing with McCarron for the starting position.  Made me a bit nervous when I heard that.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

Being a Bills fan, I can tell you that the majority of my fellow Bills fans are not happy about getting Josh Allen.  Most believe he has the highest ceiling, but also has the greatest bust potential out of the top 5 QB's. The majority of us preferred Rosen over Allen.  The Bills have completely failed when choosing a QB since the days of Jim Kelly, but those were different regime's, so hopefully this current FO knows what they're doing and weren't forced to take Allen by the owner, who was known to have loved him.

As far as who's gonna start for us next year, I'd say its almost certain that AJ McCarron starts, unless Allen blows him away in training camp.  Allen seems like more of a project than the other top QB's in this draft.

1 hour ago, pokebball said:

They said last night that he would be immediately competing with McCarron for the starting position.  Made me a bit nervous when I heard that.

If he truly is in immediate competition for the starting spot I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s starting by the beginning of the regular season. Not a knock on McCarron, but there aren’t very many quarterbacks out there that can beat Josh in camp. I could easily see the coaching staff being enamored with his skill set, and he’s also pretty smart off the field so learning the offense won’t be a big deal for him.

Union.jpg.6989c32e721d578d3952602294d1af90.jpgCampus500x283.jpg.208ead7433af78ce44bb775b8561f0c7.jpg

Snowies.jpg.8548e47a8f188d64d1a93ecde4744b11.jpgIMG_1401.JPG.cfa8ec5eeb3ac75f090d8d5e59dd0805.JPG

4 minutes ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

If he truly is in immediate competition for the starting spot I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s starting by the beginning of the regular season. Not a knock on McCarron, but there aren’t very many quarterbacks out there that can beat Josh in camp. I could easily see the coaching staff being enamored with his skill set, and he’s also pretty smart off the field so learning the offense won’t be a big deal for him.

Nothing would be cooler then to see him start from the start and succeed.  But I sure think he could use a season holding the clipboard.

4 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Nothing would be cooler then to see him start from the start and succeed.  But I sure think he could use a season holding the clipboard.

Biggest takeaway I had when reading professional QB analysis is that Josh lacks anticipation and field vision. Some coaches have the mindset that can be corrected with a strong running game, defined reads, and time learning the system. Some coaches are in the camp that it cannot be corrected. Guess we’ll find out!!

I certainly agree that he’s not pro ready yet and could use some time. Hard to believe we’re saying that about a top 10 pick.

5 minutes ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

I certainly agree that he’s not pro ready yet and could use some time. Hard to believe we’re saying that about a top 10 pick.

I believe this to be true for each of the top 5 QBs.  Especially when they come out of college early.  Allen has started for just two years.  He's got a ton yet to learn.

1 hour ago, Amaru523 said:

Being a Bills fan, I can tell you that the majority of my fellow Bills fans are not happy about getting Josh Allen.  Most believe he has the highest ceiling, but also has the greatest bust potential out of the top 5 QB's. The majority of us preferred Rosen over Allen.  The Bills have completely failed when choosing a QB since the days of Jim Kelly, but those were different regime's, so hopefully this current FO knows what they're doing and weren't forced to take Allen by the owner, who was known to have loved him.

As far as who's gonna start for us next year, I'd say its almost certain that AJ McCarron starts, unless Allen blows him away in training camp.  Allen seems like more of a project than the other top QB's in this draft.

Doubtful. Rosen was the only one I heard anyone say was nfl ready, and I highly doubt that he is. Mayfield will be a bust, darnold will probably succeed but needs work just like Allen. Rosen will pull a Jay Cutler and be mediocre at best. 

7 hours ago, Amaru523 said:

I don’t think Rosen would have been a good fit in Buffalo at all especially in a blue collar city just like Cleveland.  Smart move to choose Allen over Rosen.