Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LaradiseCowboy

Final Nod to the Josh Allen Hype Train

1 hour ago, pokebball said:

http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2018practice5.php

Thursday's practice report.  Says Allen goes in first 10, saving his best performance for Thursday's practice.

Crazy that there is such a range of opinion.  Listening to Denver sports radio this week (which I never do other than to hear about JA this week) you would think he was going to be undrafted altogether.  They love them some Baker Mayfield, though.  Hope he lands in a good spot to put together a nice career - he did WYO solid!

6 minutes ago, HiCountryCowboy said:

Crazy that there is such a range of opinion.  Listening to Denver sports radio this week (which I never do other than to hear about JA this week) you would think he was going to be undrafted altogether.  They love them some Baker Mayfield, though.  Hope he lands in a good spot to put together a nice career - he did WYO solid!

I stopped listening to most Denver sports radio.  Too many CU homers that cant accept that there's NFL level talent outside of Boulder. They have very little good to say about Michael Gallup, mostly because they have never seen him play.

6 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

I stopped listening to most Denver sports radio.  Too many CU homers that cant accept that there's NFL level talent outside of Boulder. They have very little good to say about Michael Gallup, mostly because they have never seen him play.

The bias all over the country for P5 kids is kinda sad to see.  When you consider all of the non P5 talent in the NFL, it's surprising this bias exists.

But for this reason, I really don't want JA to go to Denver.  The fans have extremely high expectations and will eat him alive if he doesn't come out of the chutes strong.  Odds are he won't. 

The World Needs More Cowboys!

On 1/25/2018 at 10:54 AM, Rofl_copter_dos said:

he's fantastically physically talented but he has loads of bad habits and glaring accuracy problems, and accuracy is generally something that doesn't improve too much in the pros absent massive reworks of mechanics.    I could be wildly wrong  - i didn't think Carson Wentz would be this good.  But i don't think i am.

There are so many factors to be evaluated and I think the pro scouts know what they're looking for.  Not only Oline, RB and WR talent each QB had, many are talking about accuracy between one of the prospects compared to the other.  What many fail to understand is that QB’s in the spread offense throw a lot of more passes and many of them are short routes to running backs or one of the 5 wideouts on the field. The pro style offense is much more demanding for the QB and they rely heavily on the running game. Wyoming's running game was bad which resulted in a lot of 3rd and long situations for Allen.  Scouts recognize and consider all of this.  Most others do not.

I'm glad Allen is getting his opportunity and wish him the very best.

1 hour ago, HiCountryCowboy said:

Bottom line, Josh had a good week of practice. Not exceptional, not fantastic, but a good solid week of practice. Anything else reported by media outlets is just spin. Good news is that most professionals of the sport rarely listen to what the media has to think. 

Union.jpg.6989c32e721d578d3952602294d1af90.jpgCampus500x283.jpg.208ead7433af78ce44bb775b8561f0c7.jpg

Snowies.jpg.8548e47a8f188d64d1a93ecde4744b11.jpgIMG_1401.JPG.cfa8ec5eeb3ac75f090d8d5e59dd0805.JPG

1 hour ago, pokebball said:

There are so many factors to be evaluated and I think the pro scouts know what they're looking for.  Not only Oline, RB and WR talent each QB had, many are talking about accuracy between one of the prospects compared to the other.  What many fail to understand is that QB’s in the spread offense throw a lot of more passes and many of them are short routes to running backs or one of the 5 wideouts on the field. The pro style offense is much more demanding for the QB and they rely heavily on the running game. Wyoming's running game was bad which resulted in a lot of 3rd and long situations for Allen.  Scouts recognize and consider all of this.  Most others do not.

I'm glad Allen is getting his opportunity and wish him the very best.

the QB's job is to get the ball to the WR and Allen did that in college at an extremely sub-par rate relative to historically successful quarterbacks, even when adjusted for drops and down and distance situations.  It's about as simple as that.  Allen wasn't ACCURATE, and inaccurate college quarterbacks rarely become accurate in the NFL.

spread vs pro style is a strawman.  anyone with any amount of success in the pros has adapted parts of the college offenses in vogue.  

10 minutes ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

the QB's job is to get the ball to the WR and Allen did that in college at an extremely sub-par rate relative to historically successful quarterbacks, even when adjusted for drops and down and distance situations.  It's about as simple as that.  Allen wasn't ACCURATE, and inaccurate college quarterbacks rarely become accurate in the NFL.

spread vs pro style is a strawman.  anyone with any amount of success in the pros has adapted parts of the college offenses in vogue.  

Stupid comment

Stats Are for Losers: Josh Allen Hype Season Has Officially Arrived

“He measured as the tallest quarterback at the Senior Bowl, 6-foot-4 and seven-eighths of an inch. His hands are 10 and one-eighth inches, also the largest among QBs at the Senior Bowl. He possesses Uncle Rico–level arm strength, throwing the ball more than 66 miles per hour when the fastest throw ever measured at the NFL combine is 60 miles an hour. For these reasons, some evaluators believe the Wyoming quarterback is the top prospect in the 2018 NFL draft class. ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. projected Allen to go first overall in his initial mock draft of the year.”

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nfl/2018/1/26/16932920/josh-allen-wyoming-quarterback-hype-nfl-draft

Union.jpg.6989c32e721d578d3952602294d1af90.jpgCampus500x283.jpg.208ead7433af78ce44bb775b8561f0c7.jpg

Snowies.jpg.8548e47a8f188d64d1a93ecde4744b11.jpgIMG_1401.JPG.cfa8ec5eeb3ac75f090d8d5e59dd0805.JPG

Thoughts about when Josh might go. Some early picks need a QB.  Then there are a number of teams that don't need a QB.  Some later picks then could use a QB.

Browns need a QB and have picks 1 and 4.  They will chose a QB with one of those.

Giants go #2 and I believe they'll chose a QB.

Colts go #3.  They need help at LB and OL.  They don't need a QB.

Broncos and Jets go #5 & 6 and both need a QB.

So I think 4 QBs go in the first 6 picks.  Arnold, Allen, Jackson, Rosen, Mayfield and Lee are the projected top 6 QBs to go.  So 4 of these go in the first 6 picks.

Then you have Tampa Bay, Bears, 49ers and Raiders with picks 7-10, none of which need a QB.  Miami is at 11 and they might go with a QB but I think they have bigger needs (LB, OL, RB).

Cincinnati comes in next at 12 and they might be looking for a QB.  Between Miami and Cincinnati I think another QB goes, leaving 1.

At 13 is Washington.  If they sign Cousins, they'll go with a pick that sures up their defensive backfield - LB or safety.  If Cousins goes, they need a QB.  I think Cousins would go to one of the teams above.  So the 1 QB left remains after the 13th pick.

Packers at 14 and they don't need a QB

Arizona at 15 and they need a QB.  This is where the last of these 6 QBs land.

If one remains however, #17 Chargers, #21/22 Bills, #27 Saints, #28 Steelers and New England all need QBs.  I'd love to see Allen on one of these teams but he won't be on the board unless a trade happens.

“We saw his strength to be able to absorb hits and make throws despite the contact. We saw his athletic ability when he took off and ran a couple times. We also saw the fastball that everybody talks about -- he gets plenty of juice on his throws. However, both of his TD passes in the third quarter were beautiful touch throws. I also liked watching him interact with his teammates in this game. He had a lot of energy, and you could see guys rally around him.”

20 minutes ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

Kiper: Allen's Senior Bowl performance silenced doubters

“Mel Kiper Jr. says Josh Allen's "lights-out" showing in the Senior Bowl has kept him in the mix to be drafted No. 1 overall.”

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=22241159

I don't understand how his performance could be considered lights out.  Crazy industry.  

6 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

I don't understand how his performance could be considered lights out.  Crazy industry.  

“Lights out”....that’s extremely difficult to defend. I think he accomplished everything he needed to. Certainly didn’t hurt his draft stock. Went 9 for 13 (69% completion percentage). 

We’ll see when the NFL combine comes around but I have an inkling that’s the stage where JA really shines!.....

Bring it on MWCBoard juju

26 minutes ago, TheDoggFather said:

Johnny Manziel, Tim Teabag, Matt Leinart and Brady Quinn...all first round QB...all who I'd take Josh Allen over in a heartbeat, even before their flopped careers. 31 teams will regret not taking him.

Rumors flying around the Denver area that Elway really wants him and might even trade up to get him.  Elway better spend all his other bullets on offensive linemen.