Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

renoskier

Where are you from?

Take a break from politics for a moment.

Has anyone had their DNA tested? I think there was a thread about this awhile back and a few posters had had their's checked.

Here's an interesting article which helps explain why the results can be rather inconsistent:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/01/22/578293890/my-grandmother-was-italian-why-arent-my-genes-italian

"We do have the genes we inherit — 50 percent from each parent. But Elissa Levin, a genetic counselor and the director of policy and clinical affairs of Helix, says a process called recombination means that each egg and each sperm carries a different mix of a parent's genes. When we talk about the 50 percent that gets inherited from Mom, there's a chance that you have a recombination that just gave you more of the northwest European part than the Italian part of your Mom's ancestry DNA, she says. That's also why siblings can have different ancestry results."

8 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Take a break from politics for a moment.

Has anyone had their DNA tested? I think there was a thread about this awhile back and a few posters had had their's checked.

Here's an interesting article which helps explain why the results can be rather inconsistent:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/01/22/578293890/my-grandmother-was-italian-why-arent-my-genes-italian

"We do have the genes we inherit — 50 percent from each parent. But Elissa Levin, a genetic counselor and the director of policy and clinical affairs of Helix, says a process called recombination means that each egg and each sperm carries a different mix of a parent's genes. When we talk about the 50 percent that gets inherited from Mom, there's a chance that you have a recombination that just gave you more of the northwest European part than the Italian part of your Mom's ancestry DNA, she says. That's also why siblings can have different ancestry results."

There's a great Kurzgesagt evolution video that goes through this concept.

Haven’t had my DNA tested, but did Ancestry.com back to the original countries. English, Scottish, Swedish, Dutch. What really surprised me was how long a lot of the people had been here. Some of the English went all the way back to Salem, MA in the mid-1600s and the Dutch back to Long Island in the 1660’s.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

7 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Haven’t had my DNA tested, but did Ancestry.com back to the original countries. English, Scottish, Swedish, Dutch. What really surprised me was how long a lot of the people had been here. Some of the English went all the way back to Salem, MA in the mid-1600s and the Dutch back to Long Island in the 1660’s.

I did that as well and was able to track one line back all the way to the 1300s :blink: 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Did an ancestry search some years back.........someone got off a boat from (what I think) was Germany in the mid 1700's - Spelling of the name changed slightly from original German spelling <-- All speculation from what I found using fathers name.......mothers name is German also & her parents were from Lancaster PA, known for lot's of German immigrants 

88% German, 5% Brit, 3% Fin and some Irish.

Considering my dad's parents immigrated from Germany not too surprising. Moms side goes back to before the civil war, mostly German descent also. My brother sent out that ancestry thing for xmas. He was surprised at some of the differences.

One of the Final Five..........

I have the Ancestry.com kit sitting on my bookshelf behind me, I keep forgetting to do the test and send it in. I've done Ancestry.com back to Norman conquerors to England in one part of the family, to France in another, and to Sweden on both sides of my family, as recently as three generations back. 

40 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Might just be my own suspicions of an entity having my DNA in a data base but I havent submitted. I pretty much know my heritage. American Indian and some European stuff. 

That's been a question for me also.

Something to be concerned about?

I haven’t had my DNA tested but have worked with my uncle to trace back my heritage, both mother and father’s side’s, to the early 1500s. 

My father’s lineage is 100% Ostrobothnian Finnish and my mother’s is a mix between French/Dutch Huguenot and Dutch South African Boar with a small dash of Indian sprinkled in. So breaking it down, I would assume to be 50% Finnish (could be a small dash of Swedish in there given the history of that part of Finland), 45% Dutch/Huguenot/Boar, 5% Indian (dot not feather). 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

English, Scottish, Dutch, Danish, German, Irish, Norwegian. Possibly some French.

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

l.jpg

2 hours ago, Fort Fun said:

interesting... sounds like someone got busy with the help.

That's funny ... but here's a timeline of Indians in South Africa:

http://www.sahistory.org.za/topic/history-indians-south-africa-timeline1654-2008

As you can see, it's sort of a mixed bag. Somewhat progressive in the mid 1800s but grew far more discriminatory near the end of the 19th century. South Africa is a country with a sad history. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg