Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wolfpack1

Bracketology Today is the Day

14 minutes ago, cherrycrush said:

A 5 seed would never happen.  Arizona who has been a top ten team is only projected as a 3 or 4 and they are in a power conference. They will not give this league any benefit of the doubt.

The AP and Coaches’ poll are not related to seeding. The committee isn’t going to care (and shouldn’t) where a team has been ranked in those polls throughout the season. 

2 minutes ago, blind_squirrel54 said:

The AP and Coaches’ poll are not related to seeding. The committee isn’t going to care (and shouldn’t) where a team has been ranked in those polls throughout the season. 

The committee doesn't care about where a team is ranked?  Yeah, i believe that.

6 minutes ago, alum93 said:

How important do you think the AP and Coaches’ Poll rankings are to the committee? I think they have very little influence. The team sheets used by the committee have rankings from SIX different metrics; none of which are the two aforementioned polls.

Ask Utah State fans how much good being ranked did them one year. 

19 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

The selection committee released a preliminary top 16 yesterday as well. Based on that it seems the committee is still favoring the traditional measurements (quality wins, road wins, SOS, performance against RPI quads) rather than the predictive measurements as far as seeding goes. 

Supposedly the committee is working pretty hard on coming up with a good way of using all metrics in the future. They have been in contact with people at several universities and with Sagarin, Pomeroy, and others about this. 

One of the biggest issues seems to be finding a balance between the predictive and reflective metrics. Going 100% predictive would create the strongest field but the importance of wins and losses would be diminished. IMO, going 

I imagine the goal is to be able to combine the different metrics into one number; or two numbers, one reflective and one predictive. Combining the different ratings isn’t trivial. You can’t simply average them. 

43 minutes ago, alum93 said:

Haven't both Utah State and Saint Mary's been left out of the tournament while ranked in the top 25? 

The rankings have nothing to do with tournament seeding. They have a very specific set of metrics they look at.

7 minutes ago, bigd said:

Haven't both Utah State and Saint Mary's been left out of the tournament while ranked in the top 25? 

The rankings have nothing to do with tournament seeding. They have a very specific set of metrics they look at.

And it would be stupid to include them.

Fans put way more importance on the polls then the committee does. 

55 minutes ago, alum93 said:

I'll take my chances with a G5 ranked team versus unranked team if the RPI is about even when it comes to getting an at large bid.

The committee has left teams in the Top 25 off their lists in the past and probably will continue as well since that isn't one of the criteria that is on their list to go by. Just look at Michigan St, in the polls they are a top 3 teams however they are on the three line with not a huge chance to move up from that until maybe the Big 10 Tournament.

4 hours ago, blind_squirrel54 said:

Isn’t that what I am saying?

you either agree or disagree with what I am saying.

Lunardi:

Nevada #8 vs. Houston

UCSB #15 vs. Auburn

NMSU #12 vs. Gonzaga

Last Four In: Syracuse, Texas, St. Bonaventure and Baylor

Palm:

Nevada #6 vs. Florida/Texas

NMSU #12 vs. Arizona St

UCSB #15 vs. Auburn

Last Four In: Florida, Texas, Butler, Syracuse

RealRPI:

Nevada #8 vs. Utah

NMSU #13 vs. Tennessee

UCSB #15 vs. Auburn

Last Four In: Boise St, Washington, Florida St and St. Mary's

DRatings:

Nevada #8 vs. Creighton,Michigan, Kansas St or Baylor

NMSU #12 vs. Gonzaga, Oklahoma, Florida St or Kentucky

UCSB #14 vs. Michigan St, Texas Tech, Cincinnati or Clemson

Last Four In: Louisville, Providence, UCLA and Penn St

Team Rankings:

Nevada #4 vs. Creighton, Butler, Miami or NC State

NMSU #12 vs. Ohio St, Tennessee, W. Virginia or St. Mary's

UCSB #14 vs. Auburn, N. Carolina, Texas Tech or Wichita St

SI.com:

Nevada #9 vs. Seton Hall

NMSU #12 vs. Ohio St

UCSB #14 vs. Cincinnati

Last Four In: Louisville, Baylor, Washington and St. Bonaventure

NIT News:

DRatings: Boise St #3, UNLV #5, Fresno St #6 and San Diego St #8

NYC Buckets: Boise St #2

On 2/13/2018 at 11:19 AM, blind_squirrel54 said:

How important do you think the AP and Coaches’ Poll rankings are to the committee? I think they have very little influence. The team sheets used by the committee have rankings from SIX different metrics; none of which are the two aforementioned polls.

Ask Utah State fans how much good being ranked did them one year. 

They got hosed in 04

1 hour ago, wolfpack1 said:

Lunardi:

Nevada #8 vs. Houston

UCSB #15 vs. Auburn

NMSU #12 vs. Gonzaga

Last Four In: Syracuse, Texas, St. Bonaventure and Baylor

Palm:

Nevada #6 vs. Florida/Texas

NMSU #12 vs. Arizona St

UCSB #15 vs. Auburn

Last Four In: Florida, Texas, Butler, Syracuse

RealRPI:

Nevada #8 vs. Utah

NMSU #13 vs. Tennessee

UCSB #15 vs. Auburn

Last Four In: Boise St, Washington, Florida St and St. Mary's

DRatings:

Nevada #8 vs. Creighton,Michigan, Kansas St or Baylor

NMSU #12 vs. Gonzaga, Oklahoma, Florida St or Kentucky

UCSB #14 vs. Michigan St, Texas Tech, Cincinnati or Clemson

Last Four In: Louisville, Providence, UCLA and Penn St

Team Rankings:

Nevada #4 vs. Creighton, Butler, Miami or NC State

NMSU #12 vs. Ohio St, Tennessee, W. Virginia or St. Mary's

UCSB #14 vs. Auburn, N. Carolina, Texas Tech or Wichita St

SI.com:

Nevada #9 vs. Seton Hall

NMSU #12 vs. Ohio St

UCSB #14 vs. Cincinnati

Last Four In: Louisville, Baylor, Washington and St. Bonaventure

NIT News:

DRatings: Boise St #3, UNLV #5, Fresno St #6 and San Diego St #8

NYC Buckets: Boise St #2

Utah? For real? I haven’t followed pac 12 the past week or so but I thought Utah wasn’t even in the conversation ?

42 minutes ago, brillio said:

Utah? For real? I haven’t followed pac 12 the past week or so but I thought Utah wasn’t even in the conversation ?

In the last week or two they have pulled themselves together to where they are getting some attention now. Some have them last four in, some have first four out. They have moved above Washington in that respects just recently

Man it sure does seem like Nevada is destined for that 8/9 line.  Part of me is ok with it because unless they can climb a seed line or two it might provide us with the best shot at a NCAA victory.  Especially with Drew’s injury I would be more than happy and consider it a very successful season.  Plus with how college basketball as been this season you never know.  If we shot the lights out maybe the unthinkable could happen with Nevada knocking off a one seed like Virgina?  Caleb played a bit in the 2015 NC State upset over the 1 seeded Villanova.

Good news is everyone one on this team has at least some NCAA experience.  Even the transfers have been there with the Martins being on the 2015 sweet 16 team, Cooke playing on the 2016 sweet 16 squad, and Kendall Stephens playing with the 2015 team that lost in the first round.